Penn State PA Program 2019-2020 Cycle

Hey guys!

I thought I would get this year's thread started so we could start sharing updates. 

I am also an Elizabethtown (Hershey's neighbor) native, so if you have any questions about the area I can try to help with that!

I submitted 5/15, was verified 5/17. Email confirmation 5/17. 

Best of luck to everyone!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 9:58 AM, Leah37 said:

Hey guys!

I thought I would get this year's thread started so we could start sharing updates. 

I am also an Elizabethtown (Hershey's neighbor) native, so if you have any questions about the area I can try to help with that!

Hi, just wondering if you received the supplemental application as yet? I submitted my Caspa on 5/10, verified 5/13 and confirmed that same day. I have not received the supplemental so just wanted to know. 

17 hours ago, crisnar said:

Hi, just wondering if you received the supplemental application as yet? I submitted my Caspa on 5/10, verified 5/13 and confirmed that same day. I have not received the supplemental so just wanted to know. 

I verified on 5/7 and I haven't received a supplemental yet 😕 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the 2019-2020 CASPA cycle! And thank you for your interest in Penn State!  I hope you will find this platform informative and helpful, which is made even more so by the level of participation from all of YOU!  Whether you are in the information gathering stage, or already applying, the path to becoming a physician assistant student is as much a team approach as when you will be a practicing provider taking care of patients along side attendings, other advanced practice providers, nurses, therapists, and case managers (to name just a few).  As we move through the year, I encourage you to post your questions and share your experiences so that all may benefit and, at the end, each of you is closer to your ultimate goal.

Personally speaking, I joined the forum as a pre-PA student following my first CASPA cycle.  I was a non-traditional student, 15 years removed from receiving my undergrad degree, and had absolutely no one to guide me.  I found the forum was a great way to get an “insiders” look at programs and a deeper sense as to where my opportunities were to improve myself as a candidate.  I was also able to connect with others, some of whom I eventually met at interviews and still keep in contact.

Again, thank you for considering Penn State!  You can look forward to our Director of Admissions, Caryn Stopper, participating in the discussion from time to time and I hope some current students will be able to join us as well.  While this thread begins to build, please check out those from previous cycles where you may already find answers to some of your questions and get a sense of the flow and timing of our application, interview, and acceptance process in addition to the wholistic approach to candidate review and emphasis on diversity that are the foundation of building each incoming class.  

Best of luck on your journey to becoming a PA!!

- Sue, PA-C, PSU PA Class of 2017

Edited by ST@PSU
syntax error
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/19/2019 at 9:58 AM, Leah37 said:

Hey guys!

Thanks for kicking things off for everyone!  Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

I received an email from the program on June 7th explaining they are still in the testing phase for the secondary application. I still have not received any new information, so I am assuming they are still testing it. They should notify everyone via email used through CASPA once the secondary is available since everyone who applies receives the secondary application regardless of the content in the primary CASPA application. They stated this at one of their open house sessions.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 8:17 AM, ST@PSU said:

Welcome to the 2019-2020 CASPA cycle! And thank you for your interest in Penn State!  I hope you will find this platform informative and helpful, which is made even more so by the level of participation from all of YOU!  Whether you are in the information gathering stage, or already applying, the path to becoming a physician assistant student is as much a team approach as when you will be a practicing provider taking care of patients along side attendings, other advanced practice providers, nurses, therapists, and case managers (to name just a few).  As we move through the year, I encourage you to post your questions and share your experiences so that all may benefit and, at the end, each of you is closer to your ultimate goal.

Personally speaking, I joined the forum as a pre-PA student following my first CASPA cycle.  I was a non-traditional student, 15 years removed from receiving my undergrad degree, and had absolutely no one to guide me.  I found the forum was a great way to get an “insiders” look at programs and a deeper sense as to where my opportunities were to improve myself as a candidate.  I was also able to connect with others, some of whom I eventually met at interviews and still keep in contact.

Again, thank you for considering Penn State!  You can look forward to our Director of Admissions, Caryn Stopper, participating in the discussion from time to time and I hope some current students will be able to join us as well.  While this thread begins to build, please check out those from previous cycles where you may already find answers to some of your questions and get a sense of the flow and timing of our application, interview, and acceptance process in addition to the wholistic approach to candidate review and emphasis on diversity that are the foundation of building each incoming class.  

Best of luck on your journey to becoming a PA!!

- Sue, PA-C, PSU PA Class of 2017

Hi Sue and others! I'm just wondering by any chance if you are able to tell me some of the clinical affiliations this program has. I'm not sure if I'm searching through the website too quickly to find the right page or it's not fully stated. Thank you so much in advance!

23 hours ago, CNG14 said:

Hi Sue and others! I'm just wondering by any chance if you are able to tell me some of the clinical affiliations this program has. I'm not sure if I'm searching through the website too quickly to find the right page or it's not fully stated. Thank you so much in advance!

Great question!  As the program has grown from the inaugural graduating Class of 2016, options for clinical sites for second year have greatly expanded as well.  This is in part attributable to the growing network of PSU PA alumni who work all across the country and in many different specialties and practice settings. Generally speaking, Penn State has the largest alumni network in the U.S. and the largest student-run philanthropy (THON) which raises funds for the Four Diamonds organization which, in turn, provides monetary support for kids receiving care at the Penn State Children’s Hospital located on the Hershey campus.  WE ARE!!

You will have 8 required rotations (inpatient and ambulatory medicine, emergency medicine, surgery, women’s health, peds, behavioral medicine, and family medicine) and 1 elective rotation.  Most, if not all, rotations can be completed at Penn State Hershey/Penn State Health sites which are within about an hours drive from the College of Medicine campus (and many right on the campus itself). There are also opportunities with surrounding health systems in the Lancaster, Lebanon (including the Lebanon VA), Harrisburg, Chambersburg, and State College areas.

The family medicine rotation, in particular, is one that will be arranged within the Penn State Hershey/Health system or with partnering organizations that place students in underserved communities.  Our family medicine program is very robust and well known for its emphasis on humanism in medicine.  Often times, you will also be collaborating closely with medical students during this rotation.

With that stated, you may request to be placed at other sites with which relationships have, or could be, established.  This gives students flexibility to be closer to their hometowns or travel to other domestic locations of interest.  We always recommend trying to arrange at least one rotation in a geographical area where you would like to live and/or with an employer for whom you would like to work.  There’s nothing that can substitute a 5 week interview!  I know of alumni who have completed rotations in New York, Michigan, Hawaii, Florida, West Virginia, and the Carolinas (to name just a few).

Of note, our program does not yet place students internationally, however, the College’s Global Health Program travels abroad every spring (this may or may not coincide with the spring break of the PA program).

I completed 7 of 9 rotations at Penn State Hershey/Health sites because I already own a home 30 minutes from campus and, primarily, because I wanted to remain in the system upon graduating.  I now work as a Hospitalist for Penn State Health at our St. Joseph campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.  By the time the incoming class of 2020 heads off on rotations, the system’s brand new acute care facility in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania will be open, too!

To be sure, there are many students who choose to do most of their rotations away from Hershey.  During your didactic year, the clinical coordinator will begin identifying each student’s interests, preferences, and needs prior to arranging a unique schedule for every one.  You will not have to worry about arranging rotations on your own which allows you to remain focused on studying while knowing that you will be placed in well-vetted sites.

I hope this helps!

-Sue

Edited by ST@PSU
additional detail
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/25/2019 at 7:42 AM, PAPath19 said:

Received an email yesterday with supplemental questions. Though the supplemental application site is not live yet they wanted us to start working on it. 

When were you CASPA verified/when did PSU confirm your app? I received the PSU confirmation but didn't receive this email yet! 

5 minutes ago, kalichem said:

Hi everyone! I got and email June 24th that my verified app was received and I will get the secondary application in the coming weeks. I was wondering if anyone else who submitted around me has gotten that supplemental yet? 

No not yet. I only got the attached word doc with the supplemental questions.

Hi everyone,

I am picking up on the anxiety!  While I do not have any direct involvement in the admissions or selection process, I do know that there have been delays with the new technology being implemented to support the supplemental application.  Rest assured the PSCOM is working hard to resolve the issue and the interview and selection process cannot begin until candidates have an opportunity to access and submit the supplemental.

Also, keep in mind that our program does not fill its classes with only the earliest applicants.  Interviews will be held throughout the cycle, usually through February, and all who submit a complete application (consisting of CASPA and PSU supplemental) by the January deadline will be considered.  The class of 30 students will not be filled until after the final interview session.  In other words, any one who interviews (whether at the very first session or the very last) is vying for an open seat (not the waitlist).  So, when you do receive the supplemental, do not rush to finish it.  Allow yourself time to really think about the short essay prompts and genuinely respond as they pertain to you.

I hope this helps quell some fears.  Thank you for your patience!

-Sue

Edited by ST@PSU
syntax
  • Upvote 3

I'm late to the 2019-2020 party! Sorry about the delay in getting on the forum. As the admissions director for the Penn State PA Program, my energies have been solely on getting our secondary application live at this point. I recognize this delayed start is not ideal for applicants wanting to apply early and have tried my best to keep CASPA-verified candidates updated via email and have also sent verified candidates the secondary questions so they can be prepared to their responses expeditiously when the system does go live. Long-term gain in terms of enhancements for applicants moving forward far outweigh this short delay in getting out the secondary application. And again, I sincerely thank those of you who have continued to wait patiently for our go-live. We are grateful. 

Major upgrades to the entire Penn State system have successfully been completed and we are still on track for a launch the week of July 15. I am grateful ST@PSU, Sue, has been available to prospective students in my absence in this forum. THANK YOU! 

As Sue mentioned, all applicants must complete the secondary to be considered at Penn State. We will open our interview cycle in August and host many interview dates each month between August 2019 through February 2020. 

Caryn Stopper, M.Ed.
Director of Admissions
Penn State PA Program

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2