Penn State PA Program 2019-2020 Cycle

12 minutes ago, caralavecch said:

Does anyone know how many interview dates they host a month? Really hoping for an interview 😳I was so impressed with their program/application! 

Not sure how many interview dates per month but they did say they hosted more than 20 interview dates for the whole cycle 🙂 

1 hour ago, caralavecch said:

Does anyone know how many interview dates they host a month? Really hoping for an interview 😳I was so impressed with their program/application! 

In the past, it has been an average of 2 interview days a month starting in August and running through February/early March.  Good Luck!

• Like 2

On 6/16/2019 at 8:17 AM, ST@PSU said:

Welcome to the 2019-2020 CASPA cycle! And thank you for your interest in Penn State!  I hope you will find this platform informative and helpful, which is made even more so by the level of participation from all of YOU!  Whether you are in the information gathering stage, or already applying, the path to becoming a physician assistant student is as much a team approach as when you will be a practicing provider taking care of patients along side attendings, other advanced practice providers, nurses, therapists, and case managers (to name just a few).  As we move through the year, I encourage you to post your questions and share your experiences so that all may benefit and, at the end, each of you is closer to your ultimate goal.

Personally speaking, I joined the forum as a pre-PA student following my first CASPA cycle.  I was a non-traditional student, 15 years removed from receiving my undergrad degree, and had absolutely no one to guide me.  I found the forum was a great way to get an “insiders” look at programs and a deeper sense as to where my opportunities were to improve myself as a candidate.  I was also able to connect with others, some of whom I eventually met at interviews and still keep in contact.

Again, thank you for considering Penn State!  You can look forward to our Director of Admissions, Caryn Stopper, participating in the discussion from time to time and I hope some current students will be able to join us as well.  While this thread begins to build, please check out those from previous cycles where you may already find answers to some of your questions and get a sense of the flow and timing of our application, interview, and acceptance process in addition to the wholistic approach to candidate review and emphasis on diversity that are the foundation of building each incoming class.  

Best of luck on your journey to becoming a PA!!

- Sue, PA-C, PSU PA Class of 2017

Hi Sue, I am also a non-traditional applicant, 9 years removed from my grad degree, and I have found your posts to be very informative.  Thank you! 

12 hours ago, Krisjw said:

Hi Sue, I am also a non-traditional applicant, 9 years removed from my grad degree, and I have found your posts to be very informative.  Thank you! 

You’re welcome, Krisjw!!  Hope you are finding the forum as a whole helpful.  Thank you for considering Penn State!  Good Luck!!'

-Sue, PA-C, PSCOM Class of 2017

• 2 weeks later...

We will host roughly 26 interview dates this admissions cycle which breaks down to on average 4 interview days in every month from August-February. This is still very early in our admissions interview cycle so do not feel frustrated or worried if you have yet to hear from us (I know that's easier for me to say given I'm on the other end of this process). We are committed to our holistic review process but sometimes this takes longer than the applicant may desire. 

Also we have an Information Session, available both on campus and online (live) for those who do not leave in the local region on Tuesday, Sept. 24 from 6-8pm. Registration can be found online at: https://med.psu.edu/physician-assistant/recruitment-events

Caryn Stopper
Director of Admissions

Edited by PennState_PA_Program
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, PennState_PA_Program said:

We will host roughly 26 interview dates this admissions cycle which breaks down to on average 4 interview days in every month from August-February. This is still very early in our admissions interview cycle so do not feel frustrated or worried if you have yet to hear from us (I know that's easier for me to say given I'm on the other end of this process). We are committed to our holistic review process but sometimes this takes longer than the applicant may desire. 

Also we have an Information Session, available both on campus and online (live) for those who do not leave in the local region on Tuesday, Sept. 24 from 6-8pm. Registration can be found online at: https://med.psu.edu/physician-assistant/recruitment-events

Caryn Stopper
Director of Admissions

I wish there was a "whew" emoji on here. Thank you very much for the information and alleviating some of our stress in reference to interviews! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Finntastic said:

Hi everyone,

I have an in-progress course in CASPA that is not a prerequisite for this program. Everything else has been verified, but this course would not be if I submitted. Does anyone have experience with this? Would it be a problem? Thanks in advance 🙂

If not a pre-req, absolutely not a problem.  If a pre-req, just needs to be completed prior to the start of classes in May.  Good Luck!

Edited by ST@PSU
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 5:28 PM, Finntastic said:

Hi everyone,

I have an in-progress course in CASPA that is not a prerequisite for this program. Everything else has been verified, but this course would not be if I submitted. Does anyone have experience with this? Would it be a problem? Thanks in advance 🙂

Please take a minute to read the first and last paragraphs under the sub-title "Detailed Pre-requisites" to help reinforce: https://med.psu.edu/physician-assistant/prerequisites

image.thumb.png.8226134a14da90da550cdc5e412ceaee.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SonoToPA said:

@PennState_PA_Program  

Good Morning,

I am currently taking a Microbiology course that does include a lab, however, it is a 3 credit course at my college.  Would it be helpful to submit a course syllabus in addition to the transcript from the college?

Thank you!

I would recommend reaching out to Caryn directly if your question cannot be clearly answered by reviewing the published program requirements.  A quick clarification will hopefully save you time and prevent delays in the long run.  Good luck!

-Sue

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, smeyer23 said:

Has anyone that interviewed recently heard anything? I interviewed on 9/16 and realized today was the 30 day mark of which they said they’d let us know by so not sure if I should reach out or if it’s better to keep waiting it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello smeyer23 - notifications have gone out and you should be hearing from us shortly. As an interviewed candidate, never hesitate to contact me directly to inquire about your status post-interview. 

Best wishes,

Caryn Stopper
Director of Admissions

Hello smeyer23 - notifications have gone out and you should be hearing from us shortly. As an interviewed candidate, never hesitate to contact me directly to inquire about your status post-interview. 
Best wishes,
Caryn Stopper
Director of Admissions

Great! Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...