Collaborative doctor was sued for malpractice

I was presented with a lucrative 1099 contracting job. I was going to sign on but I found that the collaborative doctor was sued for malpractice in 2018. It was reported in two different newspapers that he had sexual relations with his a patient and he spent time in jail in 2006.

I really wanted the lucrative paycheck but I told the clinic I had to pass. I didn’t want my name associated with this crazy doctor. I wanted to keep my license clear of any negative legal issues. 

But why do I still feel regretful that I passed up a lucrative deal?

Tigers don't change their spots; while it certainly is possible that this fellow learned his lesson, a part of me thinks that poor decision making is part of his style and the episodes you reported were only the tip of the iceberg.  The extra money you would have made probably would have gone towards extra malpractice, lawyer fees, or some such thing.

• Upvote 1

Reputations take a long time to build and a second to lose. I will do a lot for a buck but I won't compromise my values. I think you made a smart move.

Let me add being sued for malpractice isn't, in itself, a huge concern. The circumstances are. Now.... being in prison is a bit different.

Edited by sas5814

I guess there are two issues here, one is being associated with a colleague who has questionable judgement, in which case the issue is with Joe the plumber saying "oh, you work with that guy, thanks but no thanks.". 

The other issue is that eventually, this guy will make a decision that will lead Martucci, Martucci, Martucci, and Smith, LLC to add you to the list of defendants.

The first no one gives a hoot about.  Even future employers can be redirected with some words about how you left.  The second situation is the one that will leave a scar.

AS a surgical PA, I worked with one surgeon for over forty years while simultaneously working with more than 25 surgeons in ten surgical specialties. I frequently practiced as a First Assistant for an Oncology General Surgeon who appreciated me on his complex cases. On a few occasions, speaking of my FT Surgeon he said; Bobby, sleep with the dogs and you will get fleas. Good advice for me and for you.

• Upvote 2

You made the right move.  Unquestionably.

A few extra bucks are not worth a career lifetime of explaining things.  And that's only if there isn't another lawsuite while oyu are working there.

When I first graduated, I was offered a job at some...questionable place, processing no fault cases, for what was 2x the normal starting salary for PAs. Luckily, I followed my gut and said no.   If it sounds way too good to be true...there's a reason.

Don't even lose a minute's sleep over it...you would have been losing a lot more sleep for a lot longer if you had given in to the allure of the green paper.