2019-2020 Application Cycle

1 hour ago, csams said:

Has anyone received a rejection letter or no communication? I believe interview season is over and I have not received anything 

Interviews are still happening and there is one group interviewing this Friday November 8. I’m not sure if there are any interviews after that date though. Hopefully you’ll hear from them if there ends up being another interview date! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow! Read All the pages on this thread and congrats to all those who have been accepted. I will be on the same boat next year. I have just started preparing for the GRE and will be applying for next year. 

I have two questions. Firstly, if I do walk-in to the department to get more information on the program would someone see me? I do not want to wait till the open house as its too late. I need to find out if I have to take TOEFL, as my Bachelors is from outside the US. Also want to try to waver the GRE.

Second question is, does any of you know what the timings are for the classes on a daily basis? I will be commuting from Richmond, TX daily for classes and will have to pick and drop my daughter to and from school during my studies. Want to know if the entire PA is feasible in my situation or will it just stay a dream. 😞

Would really appreciate replies. 

Thanks alot.

8 hours ago, csams said:

Has anyone received a rejection letter or no communication? I believe interview season is over and I have not received anything 

According to the admissions office, they are still sending interview invitations as of today, but they couldn’t give any idea of how many more interview dates there will be. My application was verified only a few days before the deadline and I received my “under review” email on Sept. 27th. Still no further communications. 

3 hours ago, NidaAk said:

Wow! Read All the pages on this thread and congrats to all those who have been accepted. I will be on the same boat next year. I have just started preparing for the GRE and will be applying for next year. 

I have two questions. Firstly, if I do walk-in to the department to get more information on the program would someone see me? I do not want to wait till the open house as its too late. I need to find out if I have to take TOEFL, as my Bachelors is from outside the US. Also want to try to waver the GRE.

Second question is, does any of you know what the timings are for the classes on a daily basis? I will be commuting from Richmond, TX daily for classes and will have to pick and drop my daughter to and from school during my studies. Want to know if the entire PA is feasible in my situation or will it just stay a dream. 😞

Thanks alot.

1.) I would highly recommend against doing a walk-in. The school conducts information sessions for a reason. If you have any questions regarding the TOEFL or GRE waiver, please email the program.

2.) Richmond is quite a ways from Galveston. Typically, you're in class 3-4 full days (8 or 9 in the morning until 4 or 5 at night) and 1-2 half days during didactic. Google Maps shows that commute at an hour and 20 minutes each way. You're going to burn out if you commute almost 3 hours every day. Unfortunately, PA school is a sacrifice--some more than others. We have one classmate in our class who sees her kids only on weekends during didactic. Regardless, I certainly applaud your tenacity in pursuing the profession. Please reach out if you have any other questions about the program (at least from my perspective).

3 hours ago, NidaAk said:

Thanks alot.

For the first part, I think you might get a better response by contacting the program office to ask those questions. There is also an FAQ page on the site, so check that out first to see if the answers are already there. 

From what the students told us at the interviews, classes start around 10am if I recall correctly, but many of them get to campus earlier. I can’t recall if they said whether the schedule changes throughout the year. I’m fairly sure there was a post by a current student earlier in the thread where they talked about the schedule. If not this one, try last year’s thread. 

The students told us that some of them commute from places like League City/Texas City/etc. (stuff about 45min-1hr away). Richmond is really quite a drive though. One student I talked to said she lives on the island during the week and lives at home with her husband and kids on the weekends. It might be worth exploring the idea of relocating/getting a secondary place on the island if you really want to go to UTMB. If that’s not possible, Baylor is a closer option you could consider. Ultimately, only you can decide! I am apprehensive about the possibility of a 1hr commute and one of the students advised that, if accepted, I could try the commute during the summer semester and then get a place in the fall if it ended up being too long of a drive to make every day. 

Best of luck to you!

I'm sure it's just taking them a while to sort through everything, but the evil little voice in my head is saying maybe just the one person got accepted and the rest of us are waitlisted/rejected. Alternatively, maybe we were all just so wonderful they want to accept us all and are having to figure out how to have a class of 130! 😅

Ah well, nothing we can do but wait patiently.. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kaylee0143 said:

I'm sure it's just taking them a while to sort through everything, but the evil little voice in my head is saying maybe just the one person got accepted and the rest of us are waitlisted/rejected. Alternatively, maybe we were all just so wonderful they want to accept us all and are having to figure out how to have a class of 130! 😅

Ah well, nothing we can do but wait patiently.. 

How many people were at your interview session?

4 minutes ago, Kaylee0143 said:

I think it said somewhere they did 40 per session? That seems about the number of people that were there, maybe a little more. But I didn't count, and I'm admittedly not great at estimating group numbers just by looking lol

One of the current students said there were 51 there. So it was probably one of the bigger interview groups.

Hey everybody, I'm a bit late to the posts but thought I'd share:

I interviewed during the 10/25 session & received a call from UTMB on 11/6 stating that it was the last day to either accept/deny the position. I HAD NO IDEA I HAD RECEIVED THE ACCEPTANCE EMAIL! It was somehow in my trash folder?! So thankful that they called to "remind" me, because if they didn't, I don't know what I would have done knowing I got accepted! I accepted my seat later that day and paid the deposit immediately. I'm so excited to be apart of this program 😁

I also requested to be apart of the "UTMB PA Class of 2022" Facebook page, look forward to meeting everybody! My name is Sydnie Webb by the way 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sydknee said:

Hey everybody, I'm a bit late to the posts but thought I'd share:

I interviewed during the 10/25 session & received a call from UTMB on 11/6 stating that it was the last day to either accept/deny the position. I HAD NO IDEA I HAD RECEIVED THE ACCEPTANCE EMAIL! It was somehow in my trash folder?! So thankful that they called to "remind" me, because if they didn't, I don't know what I would have done knowing I got accepted! I accepted my seat later that day and paid the deposit immediately. I'm so excited to be apart of this program 😁

I also requested to be apart of the "UTMB PA Class of 2022" Facebook page, look forward to meeting everybody! My name is Sydnie Webb by the way 😊

Yikes that would have been bad! I'm glad to hear that they will call to be sure. And of course, CONGRATS!!!

Could you (or anyone else who received an acceptance) tell us which email address it came from? Or if you don't want to share it publicly, could you say whether it's one we've received other emails from, e.g. the same one that sent the under review or the invitation?