Finding a per diem position

So I'd like to start picking up some per diem shifts. I've currently been in hospital medicine for the past 2.5 years, ever since I graduated. Ultimately I hope to transition to EM, hopefully by way of an EM PA residency, but in the meantime I'd like to pick up shifts in an Urgent Care to get my feet wet, so to speak. In school I had some great suturing and I&D skills that I get no chance to use in hospital medicine. I'm sure I've lost a lot (or all..) of that skill but, I think I'd pick it up quickly again.

Problem being finding an opportunity! I've called around to area urgent cares and family practice clinics that do express care services and I'm really not getting any bites. Places that have been interested in a person picking up shifts as needed aren't interested in someone without at least a year of some kind of FM/UC/EM experience, which is fair. I'd be willing to pay out of pocket for an urgent care or EM live CME course as a refresher and as a chance to relearn hands-on skills, and I made that clear, but still no luck.

Just looking for any tips. What are your moonlighting gigs? How'd you get started? 

So I'd like to start picking up some per diem shifts. I've currently been in hospital medicine for the past 2.5 years, ever since I graduated. Ultimately I hope to transition to EM, hopefully by way of an EM PA residency, but in the meantime I'd like to pick up shifts in an Urgent Care to get my feet wet, so to speak. In school I had some great suturing and I&D skills that I get no chance to use in hospital medicine. I'm sure I've lost a lot (or all..) of that skill but, I think I'd pick it up quickly again.
Problem being finding an opportunity! I've called around to area urgent cares and family practice clinics that do express care services and I'm really not getting any bites. Places that have been interested in a person picking up shifts as needed aren't interested in someone without at least a year of some kind of FM/UC/EM experience, which is fair. I'd be willing to pay out of pocket for an urgent care or EM live CME course as a refresher and as a chance to relearn hands-on skills, and I made that clear, but still no luck.
Just looking for any tips. What are your moonlighting gigs? How'd you get started? 
No, not really! Washington state has two. Idaho has one. Oregon has two. At least these numbers were accurate two years ago. I am in an urban areas but overall I don't think it's saturated by any stretch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Sounds like you are in a tight market area.....lots if PA and NP programs in the area?

Hospital medicine is very different than FM/UC/EM. Pretty much basic managing of all systems and consulting  everything. No procedures or even doing simple acute diagnosis and managment. There are good reasons why UC clinics would be hesitant to use a provider that has no previously similar experience

Physicians or Senior PA's are not there to teach or guide new hires for a per diem position. They expect new hires to jump-in and pick up patient care immediately. Not easy to do for someone who has just been doing admissions and consulting other physicians

Pretty sure you don't have a very clear idea of what hospital medicine involves. A patient is admitted with an acute problem. You then diagnose that problem. Then you treat it. Curious as to the last thora or paracentesis you did? Central line placed? And yeah, consultants are utilized just like in every other section of medicine. Except UC. Guess you guys just punt to the ED and have them manage everything beyond your scope.

Don't want to get too deep in a pissing contest here but your statement is simply inflammatory and ridiculous. I can agree without a doubt that there is a significant difference in the medicine practiced by the two fields and yes, per diem employees are normally expected to be experienced in the field. But not always.

Thanks for the input from everyone. And the defense of hospital med! Definitely not suggesting that I wouldn't need time to get up to speed for an UC job, but I don't think that the knowledge we use is that far off base...

But, also true that per diem jobs usually want you to jump in and go. So I'll just continue the search for that opportunity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 1/31/2019 at 7:10 AM, ArmyVetDude said:

Hospital medicine is very different than FM/UC/EM. Pretty much basic managing of all systems and consulting  everything. No procedures or even doing simple acute diagnosis and managment.

Just like how the ER is all about calling the hospitalists to figure out what is going on because they have no clue.

2 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

The SEMPA conference has some very good workshops on procedures.  The conference itself is excellent and affordable.  Hotel tends to be pricey.  It's also a great way to meet recruiters.  I'd recommend attending.

I never stay at the conference hotel for aapa or sempa at $250+/night. I usually stay a block away at another hotel for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

8 hours ago, cinntsp said:

Just like how the ER is all about calling the hospitalists to figure out what is going on because they have no clue.

dem fightin' words 😉 Love my hospitalists, but let's be honest in that all specialties have their strengths and weakness. Personally, It's pretty rare I admit a patient without knowing what is wrong. Hospital medicine is tough work and some of the smartest people around.

4 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

dem fightin' words 😉 Love my hospitalists, but let's be honest in that all specialties have their strengths and weakness. Personally, It's pretty rare I admit a patient without knowing what is wrong. Hospital medicine is tough work and some of the smartest people around.

Haha, I was just trying to keep up with his hyperbole.  The ER has it rough.  I don't envy you all--having to sift through tons of complaints, large and small, to rule out what might kill someone quickly.  Then we can't forget about the bean counters looking over your shoulder every sec to monitor throughput times.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:02 PM, ohiovolffemtp said:

The SEMPA conference has some very good workshops on procedures.  The conference itself is excellent and affordable.  Hotel tends to be pricey.  It's also a great way to meet recruiters.  I'd recommend attending.

Ohh, thanks! That's a great idea. I've been eyeing the EM Bootcamp, I think it would really help my skills and confidence, as well as good to have on the resume. Does anyone know if recruiters attend the Bootcamp, or just the SEMPA general conference?

Archived