Call out to what we introduce ourselves as

I am proposing we all get in the habit of introducing ourselves a PA ____________

After about 10 years of practice and trying different things I have finally settled on how to introduce myself. Honestly there was a post awhile ago that clearly stated that in the military everyone used the PA _________ introduction and this is what got me thinking....

Doc's are introduced as Dr __________ nurse's are Nurse ___________ why do some of us think that our first name is the correct introduction (and I have been one of these for years....) Strange though it seems to be a fairly hard change in my own perspective but people around me jsut sort of said 'okay'

certainly long term patients in primary care might fall into a different catagory (or long term patients in any speciality) but for the first introduction I think it only makes sense to identify ourselves by our professional qualification (just like doc's do)

Maybe if we all change to this it will ever so slightly advance our professional standing?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree in getting rid of first name basis for introductions. We can't talk two games- one, wanting to be treated as professionals, and the other, "Hi I'm Billy, your PA".....um, no.

This title change will require getting our colleagues (docs, nurses) to buy in. I am almost always refereed to by my first name by my docs and RNs.

I prefer the anonymity of using my first name... But maybe if I had a last name like Smith, I would say the opposite... seriously though, this should remain an individual decision... In some geographical areas i have visited, patients are called by their last name, then the provider should be as well. However, if we call our patients by their first name, then I am okay with them calling me by my first name...

Maybe it's just me, but what's wrong with introducing yourself as Billy the PA? As an RT, I always introduced myself in that manner. Nurses introduce themselves in the same way, as do NPs, at least where I work. If I'm going to address a patient by their first name, I don't have an issue with being addressed by my first name either. Hi, I'm PA Billy sounds awkward to me. To each their own I guess...

Maybe it's just me, but what's wrong with introducing yourself as Billy the PA? As an RT, I always introduced myself in that manner. Nurses introduce themselves in the same way, as do NPs, at least where I work. If I'm going to address a patient by their first name, I don't have an issue with being addresses by my first name either. Hi, I'm PA Billy sounds awkward to me. To each their own I guess...

This is all a matter of opinion obviously...

But the first name basis does not really engender the level of professionalism that we clamor for in other areas on PA life.

PAs abide by the same gold standard of practice as physicians

PAs seek better reimbursements, practice ownership rights, credentialing, etc

The way PAs are treated by patients, legislators, and physicians is determined by perception.

Again it's opinion but PA Smith sounds more professional than Billy the PA.

And not all patients want to be addressed by their first name- and it's presumptive to think it's OK.

I have always used last name to address a patient unless they tell me otherwise- especially when the average age of your pts is mid 70s.

Maybe this is a cultural thing/varies by region but lots of docs I know introduce themselves as "hi, I am John Smith, the doctor here, you can call me John." I rarely see docs introduce themselves as "Dr. so and so"

Exactly...I cannot recall the last time I called a physician "Doctor" except in front of patients, and even then I frequently don't. Frequently, I will say, "Hello, my name is Mike and I'm a PA"......and at the end, I'll say (IF I am staffing the patient, which isn't all the time) "I'm going to have John Anderson, the physician I am working with stop in to see you as well".

This is an interesting thread. This fits nicely with this physician status paper that I am almost done with (4500 words so far)...I'd be interesting in others experiences.

I say " hi, my name is (first last), I'm one of the pa's here today.

I never use the word "assistant". I never say "I'm working with dr smith" or I am "dr smith's pa". I exist as a person and clinician without a doctor; in fact the vast majority of my shifts I work alone.

like physasst, on the rare occasions a doc is involved in the care of one of my patients I say" this is dr smith. I asked him to take a look at your rash, listen to your heart murmur, etc for another opinion". the docs I work with often do the same with me and say" this is emedpa, one of my colleagues. I wanted him to take a look at your xyz".

As a nurse... the only nurses I've heard introduced as or refer to themselves leading with "nurse"... was on crappy TV shows.

In my practice... I ALWAYS refer to the patient as MR./Mrs./Ms. Last Name until they tell me to do otherwise... and then introduce myself: "Hi I'm Contrarian. I'm a Physician Assistant here working with Dr. WETF...

It IS personal choice because as I see it, I'm NOT "PA Contrarian"... I'm Contrarian who happens to practice medicine as a PA.

To each his own...

Lets concentrate on the change from Assistant to Associate and avoid getting distracted....

I thnk that people get far to wrapped up in formal titles because of ego. Who cares? Do you really crave attention and accolades that much? You know what your practice involves. You and your fellow medical professionals do as well. Who cares what you are called? Does it change your job? Your pay? Do you really need to have your ego massaged that badly?

When I started PA school we had to watch a series of videos on ethics and professionalism. I think they were produced by the PAEA. The PAs in the videos referred to each other as PA _____. Everyone laughed - it just sounded ridiculous, like they were taking themselves way too seriously. I don't think I could ever pull that off. At the same time, I do think that many of the PAs I worked with in the past let their professional titles fall off in the introduction. They became "Jenny" and "Paul" to the patient. That can be great for building rapport, but not so good when the patient looks past them for medical advice. There's a balance. In my old life I introduced myself by first/last name, identified my role in the healthcare team, and then explained my specific purpose for seeing them today. Until a preceptor tells me otherwise, I think I'll continue to do that.

I thnk that people get far to wrapped up in formal titles because of ego. Who cares? Do you really crave attention and accolades that much? You know what your practice involves. You and your fellow medical professionals do as well. Who cares what you are called? Does it change your job? Your pay? Do you really need to have your ego massaged that badly?

Particularly INAPPROPRIATE coming from someone who hasn't spent decades explaining what a PA is to every fifth person they encounter.

"Who Cares..???" Apparently the THOUSANDS of PAs who want a vote for name change "CARES."

Maybe your reading and comprehension is poor, but this discussion is about interacting with the PATIENTS... and has nothing to do with 'other medical professionals, job description, financial renumeration' etc.

Show a bit more respect for your peers ERNIE...

Sincerely,

BERT

For what it's worth, during PA school, the program director instructed us to refer to the faculty as "PA (last name)", which we of course did. Even after going through the whole program, it still sounded jarring. I don't do it myself though- I take the "I'm (first name), one of the PA's in the emergency department" approach. Its now become pretty engrained, so it would be hard for me to change.

I'd say the people who see using a last name as a marker of their professional status are the ones who "care".

I'd say that most PAs.....if they were attention hounds who "craved accolades"....would not be PAs in the first place

I'd say that the majority of technicians/clerks/aides/etc are referred to by their first name....and if PAs want to be held in similar regard as physicians by virtue of the fact that we are professionals who practice medicine, then it really has nothing to do with ego.

For what it's worth, during PA school, the program director instructed us to refer to the faculty as "PA (last name)", which we of course did. Even after going through the whole program, it still sounded jarring. I don't do it myself though- I take the "I'm (first name), one of the PA's in the emergency department" approach. Its now become pretty engrained, so it would be hard for me to change.

Part of the issue people have with it is simply that- it's different, and therefore doesn't come off the tongue smoothly. New and different...

Part of the issue people have with it is simply that- it's different, and therefore doesn't come off the tongue smoothly. New and different...

I agree with True Anomaly....I couldn't say "PA so and so"......sounds too pretentious to me. But, that's my opinion, and I respect that others feel differently.

Some get too caught up in this. Like I said, I rarely use the title Dr......One physician, a thoracic surgeon that I knew and I were going to a conference. He reserved the hotel under Dr...so and so. It was so comical...I still razz him about that once in a while. I don't think he's done it again.

Excellent attitude... got your priorities straight right out of the box

As far as other medical staffers or even patients go, ultimately.... We write the orders and they follow them. Can't argue it. Can't debate it (and win) It's the law. I don't need to get daily affirmation that I'm clinically/monetarily/academically better off by virtue of a name/title.... I already know it. But I'll say this...I can't function without the other team members help.... And by virtue of respect, I earn theirs every day.

Also...

officially... most places I've ever worked clinically REQUIRES everyone to not only identify themselves by professional title... but also include that title on every official document they generate.

Every healthcare position I've functioned in (CNA, EMT, LPN, RN, & PA)... in the last 25 yrs REQUIRED me to identify myself by title to everyone I encountered while working and sign my name with my credential/title on every piece of documentation detailing my work.

So the notion that folks who think about this are simply 'ego-trippin' is really silly and illuminates a poor understanding of the culture we practice in.

This premise, taken to its logical conclusion suggests that we should be ok with being called/refered to as orderlies or nurse or housekeepers at work... lest we be 'ego-trippin'.

Excellent attitude... got your priorities straight right out of the box

As far as other medical staffers or even patients go, ultimately.... We write the orders and they follow them. Can't argue it. Can't debate it (and win) It's the law. I don't need to get daily affirmation that I'm clinically/monetarily/academically better off by virtue of a name/title.... I already know it. But I'll say this...I can't function without the other team members help.... And by virtue of respect, I earn theirs every day.

Then the error there is conflating respect with how we are addressed. It has nothing to do with respect, which is earned by actions.

So, (with the disclaimer that I am just a pre-PA starting school in the Fall) the way I see this it this issue is not just about how people see US. It also has a lot to do with giving the PATIENT confidence in the treatment being provided to them. This is especially important as physician assistants due to the number of people who do not know what a PA is or have never encountered one before. The uneducated (medically, not in general) public expects their clinicians to have a title, like Dr. Smith. I have to say, if I knew nothing about the PA profession, I would have more confidence in someone that had a title that became part of their name a-la PA Smith, as opposed to someone who introduced themselves in a less professional manner ala Jim Smith the physician assistant. Using PA Smith is more formal, and carries more authority in a situation where scared people are often looking hope/strength/comfort for the person making decisions about them and their loved one's lives. Adding formality does not have lessen being approachable/personable/compassionate.

This, of course, really depends on where you are and what field you practice in. In a rural FP clinic you might be much better served by working on a first name basis..... while working in a high volume urban ER, the extra formality (and authority it invests in the mind of the patient) might be the right way to go. Personally, "PA Smith" doesn't bother me because the PA I first had contact with was referred to in that fashion so it seems natural to me.

As far as other medical staffers or even patients go, ultimately.... We write the orders and they follow them. Can't argue it. Can't debate it (and win) It's the law.

I want to meet these utterly compliant and unquestioning patients you have! My cardio-pulmonary rehab patients love to argue with me, the nurses, and the doctor. The funniest in most recent memory is the man that insisted his COPD was due to "Noxious fumes" from when his cat died in his arms. Smoking for 50 years had NOTHING to do with it! :heheh:

Archived