2nd Interview, ED, what attire?

Hello all,

I've been asked back for a second interview!  In the largest/busiest ED in WI!  Yes, I have experience.

I heard there were over 50 applicants when I interviewed by phone/ then a 2.5 hr interview in person with 4 diffenert providers.

They went with another candidate, but after a sent a TY for the interview, they emailed me about another PA/APP position now!

So, this is a 2nd interview with mostly different people, docs, business managers- over a jimmy johns (sandwich delivery)  lunch in the office.

I of course was in my Brooks Bros. interview suit for the first one.  For the second, I don't think that is appropriate now?

I'm thinking business casual- to me that's slacks, long sleeve/collared shirt, tie, and nice shoes.

What do ya think?

When in doubt, suit it out. You're not meeting with the same folks. Doesn't matter that they're providing subs for lunch instead of a salmon filet over salad. If it were my interview, I'd wear slacks, shirt, tie and jacket. If your wardrobe doesn't have that, suit it is. If you absolutely feel it's too stuffy, suit minus tie.

Good luck on the interview.

Thanks for the replies,

Since my other suits are at the cleaners (joke there), I'm going to wear my same suit, different shirt/tie.

I'll take my coat off when we're eating, so I'll still be sharp, shirt and tie.

This is the job of my career, and I'm in my 24th yr of practice! 

I've never been more ready to tackle whatever obstacles this job my bring.

I'm good, and I got skills,

Wish me luck all,

Todd

ALWAYS go with suit and tie to first

Second Always go with suit and tie

Really are they going to NOT hire you because you oeverdressed?

It is trying to get something for the next 2-30 years of your life - it is important to look your best so show you care to put the effort in.  Interviews are not to be taken lightly - as well most interviewers are old school (like me) and business casual is likely a negative.  

The above applies to newer PA's - I think as you age and define your position, skill set, and marketability it is less important and maybe it becomes variable - however I felt very awkward recently when I attended a "discussion" that ended up being an interview and I was in business casual...

On 6/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, MidwesternTexan said:

Thanks for the replies,

Since my other suits are at the cleaners (joke there), I'm going to wear my same suit, different shirt/tie.

I'll take my coat off when we're eating, so I'll still be sharp, shirt and tie.

This is the job of my career, and I'm in my 24th yr of practice! 

I've never been more ready to tackle whatever obstacles this job my bring.

I'm good, and I got skills,

Wish me luck all,

Todd

Tuxedo.  Maybe bring a family member for support.

Your plan is ok too, I guess.

Hello again all!  I was at a family camp 'Up North' WI. all last week.

I wore my Brooks Bros. Interview suit again- different shirt and tie.  It went well.

They are asking for references again, and copies of my diploma again- no biggie.  I do technically work for the same hospital anyways.  Have you heard of an online service called 'Checkster'?  I gave the interviewers names/emails/phone #'s directly as well as the online thing.

Another background check is well- No ptoblem!

I am so delighted that I am very close to once again providing care in a large, Level 1, ED once again!

• 2 weeks later...

* Another UPdate!

They had asked me to do a 'shadow shift' with one of the APP's.  I did almost 8 hrs with their lead APP- she's an NP.  Very nice and a great provider too.  It went well.  I shadowed on Friday night, Monday morning, they emailed asking for a copy of my CV in Word of pdf.  I was off Monday so they got it Tuesday- a few hours later they called me.

They offered the position!  Basically no $ increase from my current gig.  Being that it's a teaching hospital, etc., not much wiggle room.  They came back with a mere few thousand more.

At this stage in my career, I could not pass up this opportunity.  

This was a very competitive position, between NP's and PA's gong for this position, and they choose me! I'm still numb thinking about it.

I would have loved to be making what many other ER PA's doing what I'll be doing (again) are making, but I still see it as a blessing.

Archived