UF 2018-2019 Admissions Cycle

Welcome everyone,

With CASPA opening tomorrow I thought I would get this thread started so that any applicants have a place for their questions and to communicate with one another.

The University of Florida PA program is a highly regarded and long standing. It also benefits from its close association with UF’s medical school and from those resources. From my own experience visiting the campus it was amazing. If you are offered an interview I would strongly encourage you to take the opportunity to see what UF has to offer.

There are many alumni and current students who frequent this forum and may be able to help answer questions. GreatChecko in the past has offered excellent information and hopefully will stick around for this cycle as well.

I’ve compiled a short list of common questions from last cycle’s thread that should still be helpful for this year’s applicants too. (Keep that in mind, this information is based on last year’s thread and is not official or endorsed by UF in any way shape or form).

1 – Apply early! UF gives preference for interview selection to applicants who submit their application and all supporting materials before August 1st. (Source)

2 – Based on last year’s thread, those who do apply early have their applications placed in secondary review more quickly and are offered interviews more quickly; as the applications start rolling in, the process slows down considerably.

3 – Application submission confirmation, initial review, and secondary review progress are notified via email. Interviews are offered via a phone call and email and seem to begin around late June and early July all the way into the fall.

4 – If you are offered an interview, the timing isn’t suppose to matter, there are enough seats available for everyone being interviewed to be accepted. Interviews begin late August to early September and are suppose to end around late November, but last cycle were stretched into December due to hurricane delays.

5 – Rejections w/o interview are sent via email and may be at any time during the application cycle. After the interviews you may be notified of acceptance anywhere from the same week that you interviewed until mid December when “final decisions” are made and apparently the majority of acceptances are sent out (so if you don’t hear back right away, don’t panic!). It is also my understanding that mid December is when rejections after having an interview are sent out.

6 – If you are offered an interview, part of it includes an informal dinner with students (no faculty). I would strongly encourage attending as you get the chance to speak with students candidly and it also helps ease the nerves some before the actual interviews the next day.

7 – Last cycle, the whole interview process was potentially 3 days long (Mon-Wed). The first day is a tour and orientation, and the second and third days are the proper interviews. Interviewees are asked their preference for the interview on Tues or Wed. Out of town interviewees are given preference for Tues interviews. So you may only be there Mon and Tues. If you ask for a Wed interview, then you have a day off to explore Gainesville and tour the whole UF campus if you like. Once your interview is completed, you are free to go.

I hope that all helped and didn’t go overboard too much!

Good luck to all the applicants and re-applicants!

UF School of Physician Assistant Studies: https://pap.med.ufl.edu/

Florida Pre-PA FaceBook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FLPrePA/

P.S. If it becomes apparent that any of the information I provided is no longer accurate, please PM me and I'll remove it, thanks.

Edited by Anachronist
additional info
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

If I'm not mistaken previous supplementals said something like "until anticipated/expected enrollment at UF." So yes, because there are potentially 7 months from application until you interview, more than a year from now to enrollment in 2019, and seniors are graduating in the next several weeks; they want to know what you'll be doing until you interview or enroll; for instance, PCE could increase dramatically in that time. So the "till" date de facto becomes June 2019.

Edited by Anachronist
grammar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:41 PM, GreatChecko said:

You should get some sort of application received email in the next few weeks. Then, the waiting begins. Calls for the August (first) interviews won’t go out until late July.

Good luck and hang in there!

Thank you! I just received an email that they have all of my application stuff , fingers crossed.

• Like 1

With the additional questions in the CASPA application, what direction would you choose with writing about a title for yourself? Is this generally what you call yourself or nick-names from friends/family? 
At first, I thought it was an odd supplemental question. However, after thinking about it and talking with a few people, I've come to think of it as less a title for yourself, but the title for your application.

Imagine if everything you submit to the program is bound in a book. What does the cover say? Keep it pithy, professional, but dont hesitate to be a bit creative. Can it be a nickname? Of course!

This is just another chance for you to show a bit of your personality. UF is trying to squeeze the real you out of all the paperwork. They can't interview everyone, but you want to make them want to meet you!

For example, had this been a question in 2012, mine would have been something like, "Medic Aviator."

All the best!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Submitted my application last week!! Took me a week or so to complete all of the questions, and I enjoyed the question regarding the which title I would give myself because it really forced me to think about what I stand for and what drives me to continue to pursue this path. Best of luck to everyone!!! I'll post back as soon as I hear something.

I just received an email that my application has completed the initial review and has been forwarded for the second level of evaluation by the ADCOM, and I will be contacted directly if I'm selected for an interview.

Has anyone else received this message?! Trying to figure out if this is a general message everyone gets or if it's a good sign I've moved beyond initial review. Just happy to have heard of some kind of progress because the waiting game is treacherous ?

2 hours ago, SoonToBePAC said:

I just received an email that my application has completed the initial review and has been forwarded for the second level of evaluation by the ADCOM, and I will be contacted directly if I'm selected for an interview.

Has anyone else received this message?! Trying to figure out if this is a general message everyone gets or if it's a good sign I've moved beyond initial review. Just happy to have heard of some kind of progress because the waiting game is treacherous ?

if you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your app?

Has anyone else received this message?! Trying to figure out if this is a general message everyone gets or if it's a good sign I've moved beyond initial review. Just happy to have heard of some kind of progress because the waiting game is treacherous [emoji29]

Basically, you're in the "to read" pile for the AdCom. Not everyone gets this email. Some will receive "thanks, but no thanks" emails along the way. In the past those come sporadically, with decision emails for those still in review and letters for those who interviewed, coming in December to January. They will call to offer seats in the class and to offer interviews.

The waiting is the worst part. Hang in there!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CASPA calculated my gpa way lower than I thought. I am guessing its due to a couple courses I repeated. I am now stressed about applying this year. I have 12 years worth of HCE (radiologic technologist), awesome LOR, but a low gpa. Anyone know if my HCE with help with my situation?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On 6/9/2018 at 12:29 PM, olivialee said:

Officially submitted on 5/23 and received an e-mail on 6/1 stating that my application has been forwarded on for second level evaluation. I believe this is standard for as long as your application information meets all requirements the school has for prerequisites. 

Not always standard.  I did not receive this the first time I applied and had all of their requirements covered.

The 2nd year I applied I received this and got an interview. BUT!!! Receiving this email does not guarantee interview. My friend received the 2nd level review and was denied, no interview.

Edited by JD2012
  • Like 3