crazy to think i can work too?

Am i crazy to think I can pick up a few per diem medic shifts while in PA school? I also work on contract for FEMA to teach ICS classes and will probably be asked to teach a few of those during the year too.

keep in mind the medic shifts could be nights, weekends, holidays, ect. My goal is to not have any cost of living loans. So with money saved up plus some supplement here and there. Have any of you done this?

If you would be working per diem, you can pick up shifts if and when you want them. While I was in PA school, I knew my schedule ahead of time, and only picked up shifts when I could (I worked about one 12 hr shift/week). Even though I am crazy and have always worked and gone to school, I could only do this for 2 reasons, a. I worked during a fairly slow shift and was able to do homework while I was at work and b. I chose the days and shifts, and was able to work as much or as little as I wanted. Don't over exert yourself while in school, if you find your studies slipping, a little extra loan for living expenses is much less than having to repeat a full year of PA school...

Crazy? Perhaps... but probably not impossible...

Are you open to other options?

I knocked down half a shift at the school library every Sunday afternoon for extra coin... it wasn't much but it supplemented the food budget nicely. Also: Sundays are slow, not many patrons, most want to be left alone. I studied the whole time...

i know a couple ppl in PA school that work... one does 1 day a weekend, and another does sat and sun every other weekend. They seem to be doing just fine. If you spend every waking minute every weekend studying you will drive yourself crazy. Just know that ur probably using up what little free time you have to work, which means less free time for other (more fun ) things :-)

I am going to start a PA program next month and I am going to try to work. I have a different situation though. I currently live in North Carolina and own a business here. My program is in Virginia and is about 5 hours away from where I live in North Carolina. I was planning on shutting my business down to go to school, but just changed my mind and hired some people to work at my store while I go to school in VA. I will be working online mostly since I do have an online store as well as a storefront in NC. I was really hesitant at the idea of trusting other people to run my business while I go to school, but I will give it a try. If it does not work out, I always have an option to shut my business down until I finish school. You can always try to work to see how you adjust to it. If you can not handle it, focus on PA school, but at least you did give it a try. The good thing is that you do have options and choices:) Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

You ain't working trust me. Two people in my class worked.

1) Evan, he worked 5 hours a weekend in the library

2) Another guy worked at the campus security desk a few hours on the weekend.

And they could study while working.

You most like are not working. Don't plan on it. But everyone is different of course. Just experiences from my class. Oh, I worked one 12 hour shift as a RT during the whole program while on Winter Break, and it totally sucked and only did it once.....

I worked a little during breaks, but it kind of sucks because I never got down time and I miss down time. Looking forward to when my breaks are breaks and working is working. If you don't have to, I would recommend not. Do you have a minimum # of hours you have to work on per diem to remain an employee? If not, then working once in a blue moon may not be so bad, but if you have to get in so many hours/month, that may be more stress than it is worth. The FEMA stuff should not be either, the wonders of contract working- provided you time it right with your school schedule.

Good luck!

I worked 12 hrs a week during my didactic year. It was REALLY busy... but I managed. It was doable for a year, but I don't think I could keep it up longer than a year, and I don't think I could do it in clerkship. There was one other student in my class of 24 that worked - she was a paramedic and took 1-2 12 hour shifts every weekend.

yes I think its crazy (prob doable but not advisable). I just finished a 9 hour shift in my Hepatology/GI in pt. rotations and now studying up for my presentation during rounds tomorrow to my attending. I will probably need another 4 hours to do this! I thought I can work in fact i promised my wife i would find a job once i started clinical-it has been 8 months and I haven't even filled out that starbuck's app yet-something my wife won't live down :0(

• 1 month later...

Oh my gosh, I couldn't imagine working, especially during the first quarter when we were taking anatomy! Now into the second quarter, I could see MAYBE squeezing in a few hours here and there of work if really needed, but I think with how hard we work, I would rather sacrifice a few extra bucks to just sit and do nothing and rest my brain. :) The amount of free time in PA school is slim to none, so you really learn to appreciate it and use it wisely when it comes around.

am I the only one looking forward to NOT working......just knowing that I could spend that time learning, sleeping or otherwise having a life is enticing. I have spent the last 4 years in school full time, working full time and being a single mom full time. Once Im in a program my daughter will be with her grandmother, I wont have to work and all I have to do is pass

beautiful.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

In all honesty loans for living expenses are nothing compared to everything else. It's probably the least amount of money you'd spend while in school and what you'd be able to pay off the fastest after graduation (if you divided the loan into parts that is). Enjoy free time with with friends, not working, or you'd be miserable. Medic shifts are very tiring too if you have to get up at night. You will be useless the day after the shift, but you already know that.

Archived