PAs with doctoral degrees

Funny you say this, I was looking today at a doctorate.  I saw this...

"The Doctor of Medical Science (DMSc) offered by Lynchburg College has received accreditation with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC)."

Anyone have any experience?  Is it really 12 months long, can you really do it working 13  days a month 10 hour shifts in ER?  What is required? I might start a new thread if no hits. 

21 minutes ago, Cideous said:

and how does this help you practicing as a PA?  There's a phrase for this (unless you are going into academia)...that phrase is "degree creep".

There are more jobs than just academia. For federal government positions they will pay you more money for a DMSc, so yes it does also benefit practicing PAs. I don't think your comment has to do with anything that the OP is asking. We all have opinions like we have bellybuttons, but doesn't mean your opinion is correct. Research before you comment. 

What degree gets me the "hospital administrator" position that pays 5x what I make, I don't have to see any patients, and have 0 liability.  

DMSc?  MBA?  PhD? 

back to the ops question: see my post in the recovery room area entitled taking the DHSc plunge. I started it in 2011 when I started my doctorate and there is a course by course discussion there as well as why I did it, why others have done theirs, etc. hope it helps.

Thank you for the info. I read your post , very helpful.

Right now I’m researching the possibility of applying for the PA to DO bridging program at LECOM or pursuing a PSy D degree. obviously  PsyD would be less time. Going the DO route I think I would plan to also pursue psychiatry. Any thoughts on either of these options. I obvisouly what to go the route that will open the most doors and will help with career advancement. And salary increase would also be nice. 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:20 PM, UVAPAC said:

What degree gets me the "hospital administrator" position that pays 5x what I make, I don't have to see any patients, and have 0 liability.  

DMSc?  MBA?  PhD? 

Please let me know when you find this job.  it sounds perfect for me as well. 

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎18 at 3:50 PM, lkth487 said:

MBA plus any clinical degree....

Seen hospital admin geeks with ZERO clinical degrees - most I know have MBA's or B/M of Health Care Administration.  Then again, I've seen admin geeks with no admin degrees either - just filling dead men's shoes because a friend promoted them off the floor to keep them away from patients.

SK

On 12/20/2017 at 8:42 PM, BirdDogPA said:

I'm planning to do the DMSc at Lynchburg.  For the time and money it seems to be the best option as of now. 

Me too! I just got accepted for the Spring '18 class. I'll report back more as I learn more if anyone is interested. -Laura 

On 12/18/2017 at 0:20 PM, UVAPAC said:

DMSc?  MBA?  PhD? 

I had one recommendation letter written from a hospital administrator who was a former RN who received her PhD in Education. 

Archived