AMA Opposes Independent NP Practise

I suspect this will spill over to PAs. Cant emphasize enough need to have NPs on our side and working together. Need the AMA to modernize and get on board. 

https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/nurses-slam-ama-for-stance-against-independent-practice-for-nonphysicians/511391/

Nurses slam AMA for stance against independent practice for nonphysicians

AUTHOR

PUBLISHED

Nov. 21, 2017 TWEET

Dive Brief:

• The American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) slammed a resolution adopted by the American Medical Association (AMA) that opposes independent practice for nonphysician practitioners.
  • In an ongoing feud between nurses and doctors, the AANP accused the AMA of “fear mongering” and putting physicians’ profits ahead of patients.
  • Resolution 214 calls for a national strategy to oppose legislative efforts that allow nonphysician practitioners to practice independent of a physician. It was adopted at last week’s interim meeting of the AMA House of Delegates.

Dive Insight:

AMA opposes what it calls "inappropriate scope of practice expansion," while the nurses group says care from nurse practitioners is safe and typically more efficient than care from physicians.

“The American Medical Association has asserted, once again, its commitment to put the profit of its physician membership ahead of patients and their access to high-quality health care,” AANP President Joyce Knestrick said in a statement.

“We call on the AMA to stop hampering access to care,” she continued. “Stop the rhetoric and resolutions that undermine patient choice, access and true coordinated care. The AMA’s ongoing fear mongering and physician protectionist resolutions are hurting patients and negatively impacting the health of our nation.”

The AMA resolution targets advanced practice registered nurses (APRN) and the APRN Multistate Compact, which would let APRNs with a multistate license practice without a doctor’s oversight or involvement. To date, three states — North Dakota, Idaho and Wyoming — have enacted the compact. At least 10 states must enact legislation before it will be implemented.

AAPN represents more than 234,000 nurse practitioners in the U.S. At a time when many communities are facing physician shortages, particularly in underserved areas, APRNs could increase access to care.

Exacerbating the shortage is administrative “burnout” and the retirement of baby boomer physicians, as well as policies of President Donald Trump’s administration that could threaten the supply of foreign-born doctors. For instance, Trump’s travel bancreated confusion and anxiety in medical residency programs as visa seekers were put through more intensive vetting. Likewise, his threat to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program could exacerbate the physician shortage if potential medical students are forced to leave the country. 

This past week, I sent the following (abbreviated) below to my state organization after several months of frustrating lack of response in regards to an issue on the administrative and leadership level. 

• Leadership Advancement Restrictions - PAs have found their leadership roles and advancement potential removed and/or restricted. We do not have voting privileges for policy and hospital bylaws. Until March of this year, I and others in my organization were removed from director positions and committees. Reason cited, "reorganization" and improvement of a physician-lead organization. Leadership has stated directly that expertise of medicine is to remain with physicians as they are the "expert". This has hampered my efforts for career advancement and effectively reduced my income. I have lost greater than $10,000.00+ per year as a result of this policy. Current leadership positions are allowed with nurse doctorates and MD/DOs. Career and income advancement is effectively stalled and goes nowhere. 
  • Delegation Agreement  - my organization has become more anti-PA. It has been brought to my attention by former leadership individuals that there is a preference of NPs vs PAs. Hiring new staff has leaned to NPs vs PAs with the exception of the surgical field. Many physicians are unwilling to partner/work in tandem with experienced PAs and sign delegation agreements without extra compensation or contract amendments. Mind you, PAs do not receive compensation when yoked to poor examples of physician clinicians, despite our licensure being at risk if a malpractice claim were to occur. 
  • Student Teaching - I've precepted NPs, PAs and medical students. However my opportunities are now nonexistent. The organization is unwilling to have certified PAs precept students because we are technically under supervision and there is an unwillingness to allow teaching due to concerns of liability. Additionally, I until this past month was welcomed as a preceptor for student NPs with an offer as adjunct faculty. This was declined after having taught their NP students for the last year.  The state university stated "due to change in focus". After a more frank discussion, it was disclosed that the NP organization has chosen to interpret the WAC regulations as PAs prohibited from teaching NPs. She was uncertain as to why the organization has chosen to move in this direction despite the students appreciating the additional perspective and access to our skillset and knowledge. As for medical students, I have been told that I am not allowed to teach, again because of the supervisory condition.

2 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

About the first thing I've agreed with the AMA about in years.

NPs CERTAINLY shouldn't have independent practice, and neither should we.

Want independent practice?  Go to medical school.  We all made our choices in life, now live with them.

Thank you!  I agree.

Edited because my wife said I was being a dick.

15 hours ago, CJAdmission said:

Tell her to get back in the kitchen and mind her own business (now she knows dickishness when she sees it.)

Great.  I did what you said, and now she grounded me from riding my motorcycle for two weeks. 

3 hours ago, ral said:

Great.  I did what you said, and now she grounded me from riding my motorcycle for two weeks. 

At least you weren't told to go sit in the corner facing the wall like I was yesterday when I commented about how something was cold, and we were using our wedding china from 29 years ago for the first time in about 28 years.  Couldn't warm up in the microwave either since it was already on the delicate plate, or so I was told, which was what got me banished to the corner.  No dessert last night either.

• 2 weeks later...

It is true that the AMA does not represent a majority of physicians, but they still hold a great deal of influence! I could not imagine the day where they would endorse any independent practice of any sort! Job security.  Remember how the American Society of Anesthesia had a stroke when the CRNAs published a statement on independent practice!

• 10 months later...
  • Administrator
On 10/21/2018 at 9:30 PM, Rhysaunt said:

This is the very reason why LECOM's program looks more enticing. PA's are losing ground on multiple levels. Lack of respect, 2-3 times less pay despite doing the same job as docs in most settings and NP'S ARE VASTLY TAKING OVER. 

And here, boys and girls, is how we decide who to place on moderation restriction:
* Topic bumping? Check.
* PA vs. NP? Check.
* ALL CAPS?! Check.  There are a few others,  but that's three strikes without having to look remotely hard.

Any future posts you see from this participant will have been approved by a moderator.

Archived