Is ophthalmic tech satisfactory for PCE?

I'm still trying to get my PCE at the moment, and all I can find within my state or the bordering states are ophthalmic tech positions. All of the medical assistant positions I've reached out to want experience and/or a certification. I'm still waiting to take my NREMT to be licensed as an EMT, but there aren't any hospital positions in my area hiring at the moment (being ER tech or patient care tech positions). However, there are tons of ophthalmic tech positions that require no experience or any sort of certifications that ARE hiring. I know this isn't ideal, as it seems EMT, ER tech/patient care tech, CNA, and medical assistant experience seem to be what's pushed on here the most as valuable PCE. But I'm starting to really worry about not having enough time to fit all the PCE I need in. So do you think an ophthalmic tech position would fill the requirement I need to apply to PA schools? There are tons of scribe positions too, but I know for a fact that will not be satisfactory PCE experience to my target schools.

I would say from my research that it's usually not accepted as PCE, unfortunately. I would be mindful of the programs you are applying to and see what they consider as PCE and what is not. I'm an EMT but because of only having a full time job availability I'm taking a CNA class so I can work in the ER on a specialized trauma/ICU unit. I know it's not what you want to hear but would rather your find out now than a year from now when you find out all of that experience didn't count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

ask the programs you are interested in. remember you can complete emt basic or cna in less than a month at many places...

I've already completed EMT basic over this past summer term. I just need to take the NREMT and pass it to be certified. But it doesn't look as though anyone in my area is currently hiring EMTs or ER techs.

If this is the job description:

http://study.com/articles/Ophthalmology_Technologist_Job_Description_Duties_and_Salary.html

...then it sounds pretty solid to me. But definitely shoot an email to your prospective schools (or check their websites) to make sure.

Also, after typing in "ophthalmic tech pa school" on Google, several schools on the first 3 pages (Tufts, Pacific, UNC, UC Davis, UNE) showed up as accepting it as PCE. I'd take it as a good sign.

I second the above. As an Ophthalmics tech, I was hands on with patients daily which is really what most places are looking for. I had no problem with any of the schools I applied to (all within NC and SC) accepting my experiences as it was definitely hands on with patients. If you’re paired with a physician who likes to teach (as I was), you have the potential to learn more than working as a CNA.

Guest HanSolo
2 hours ago, Ollivander said:

I've already completed EMT basic over this past summer term. I just need to take the NREMT and pass it to be certified. But it doesn't look as though anyone in my area is currently hiring EMTs or ER techs.

Might be worth reaching out to places that might not traditionally advertise for EMTs but would take you as, say, an MA with the EMT certificate.

Don't need to be an EMT to get HCE.  You could apply for a job as a hemodialysis technician in your area, Divita Dialysis and Fresenius Medical Care are options.  You cannulate patients, do blood pressures, temps, weigh patients, administer Heparin and you as a technician get to decide how much fluid to pull off the patient and what is appropriate given their fluid gains.  It should be nurses that do this but that has not been my experience as a dialysis technician.  You don't need a certificate do be a tech and I felt it did more for me than my EMT.

Plus at some point or another you will have patients that crash, you will see codes, you will see strokes and will learn how you stand by being able to react appropriately to these different events.  

I say this as someone who was just accepted into PA school and the program liked my experiences.  Just a thought.

-Ket

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why not...I know I'll be adding this to my CASPA. I was an ophthalmic technician for a comprehensive ophthalmologist for 2 years and worked exclusively with patients all day. I was responsible for obtaining the patient's CC, HPI, ROS, medication reconciliation, checking visual acuity, checking their eye pressure, administering drops, performing at least 10 different tests/types of imaging, teaching them how to insert and remove contact lenses, taking measurements for glasses, first assisting physician during in office procedures etc.

I took a CNA course and after passing the test I took a position as an ophthalmic tech. I have roughly 2400 hours as an ophthalmic tech and 200 as a volunteer in an ED. 5 schools have offered me interviews(maybe more on the way!). I know there are schools out there that prefer other types of care and some that will not accept ophthalmic tech for PCE, so definitely do your research. But I think it'll work out :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working as an ophthalmic technician since I graduated. I was hesitant as well because some people advised me that schools did not accept it. However, I decided to risk it anyway since they offered me more pay than if I was a medical assistant. Last year was the first time I applied and I got 3 interviews. I reapplied this year and received 6 interview invites (and one acceptance!), so it's definitely possible working as an ophthalmic technician! Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Archived