Back Up Plans?

While I was hopeful to get into PA school on my first try, reality is setting in. I am slowly getting back some rejection letters and while I still am hopeful for the rest of the schools I applied to, I am realizing that I should really start coming up with a back up plan if I don't get in. I will be graduating with a degree in biology in the spring and part of me does not want to apply a second time to PA school and wait another year for that to maybe happen. I have been trying to look at other masters programs that are still geared toward the medical field that I could do as an option. Is anyone else in the same boat and thinking of back up plans and have any suggestions? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, aubrey18 said:

While I was hopeful to get into PA school on my first try, reality is setting in. I am slowly getting back some rejection letters and while I still am hopeful for the rest of the schools I applied to, I am realizing that I should really start coming up with a back up plan if I don't get in. I will be graduating with a degree in biology in the spring and part of me does not want to apply a second time to PA school and wait another year for that to maybe happen. I have been trying to look at other masters programs that are still geared toward the medical field that I could do as an option. Is anyone else in the same boat and thinking of back up plans and have any suggestions? 

The bolded is a red flag that maybe you don't want to be a PA bad enough. Roughly 5% first time acceptance rate means that you likely will have to reapply to get in. That's the way it is. I know it sucks waiting and "putting you life on hold". There are some one year masters programs like UNMCs masters of medical anatomy but this is not really a terminal degree as it's mainly utilized by medical/ pa students in gap years. I don't know your circumstance but perhaps nursing school would be an option for you. Others have gone the nursing route as it can be a terminal degree or a stepping stone for those that can't or won't wait to get in. Good luck with your remaining schools.

• Upvote 1

Ask yourself the question: if I'm not going to be a PA, what would I like to be doing? A good plan B should lead to a good life.

As someone who has changed careers multiple times, let things develop. If you really want to be a PA, then figure out what you need to do to be a better candidate. More HCE? I got mine while I kept up with a good, nonmedical career. Some classes? Take them one or two at a time in a local community college's night program.

Probably best to figure yourself out a bit and then take the next step, which doesn't have to be a huge one: head slowly in the direction that seems best for you. At some point, you probably will have to take a leap, but maybe not right now.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm also preparing just in case I don't get in for a plan B - I'm a senior in college graduating early in December, so I also have to no matter what, figure out something to do in the spring. I'm already a volunteer EMT, so I was thinking of just staying in the area that I am currently in and continuing the EMT volunteering as well as pick up an ER tech job of sorts at our hospital. That way I can really maximize PCE hours while also being productive and making some money on the side.

Pursuing another program during the gap-year isn't really an interest of mine at this moment due to the fact I'd have to take loans out for that program and I'm confident I'll get into a PA program a second time around if I don't make it this cycle.

My advice to you is to maximize areas of weakness as much as possible and maybe it might not be the most exciting waiting time for you, but if you really want to be a PA like everyone else has been saying, you'll endure the boring waiting year and strengthen your candidacy for the next round.

12 hours ago, boli said:

Roughly 5% first time acceptance rate means that you likely will have to reapply to get in. 

Totally out of curiosity, where are you getting 5% from? Are you talking about an individual program acceptance rate? If so, that seems accurate. I haven't been able to find much on the actual first time PA applicant acceptance rate since most applicants apply to multiple schools. So yes, at one school they may have a 5% chance, but if they apply to 8 programs, I'm not sure that still applies.

The article below talks about the average PA applicant based on the PAEA annual report that might offer some insight but there is no perfect number, stats or formula to get accepted.

https://www.thepalife.com/who-gets-in/

I applied twice and got in my second cycle. There are so many factors that go into the process and I know I was a much different applicant the second time around, it wasn't just the fact of applying twice that got me accepted. 

6 minutes ago, pastudentw said:

Totally out of curiosity, where are you getting 5% from? Are you talking about an individual program acceptance rate? If so, that seems accurate. I haven't been able to find much on the actual first time PA applicant acceptance rate since most applicants apply to multiple schools. So yes, at one school they may have a 5% chance, but if they apply to 8 programs, I'm not sure that still applies.

The article below talks about the average PA applicant based on the PAEA annual report that might offer some insight but there is no perfect number, stats or formula to get accepted.

I applied twice and got in my second cycle. There are so many factors that go into the process and I know I was a much different applicant the second time around, it wasn't just the fact of applying twice that got me accepted. 

The acceptance rate is actually closer to 30-40% if you apply to multiple schools. 2-5% is for individual schools but many people apply to 10+ schools and will withdraw from programs in the cycle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, aubrey18 said:

It's always good to have a back up plan, but rejection letters from your first time applying should not discourage you completely. If being a PA is truly what you want to do, you should be motivated to improve your application to get into the schools you really want to get into. It doesn't hurt to ask why a school rejected you either. This may offer some comfort, but like @PaigeClark3 said above, reapplying is not uncommon and PA programs, at least MEDEX in Seattle, like reapplicants because they enjoy seeing how they've improved their application. I learned at the reapplicant information session that the most someone has reapplied is three times, and I think they got in their third time! So, always good to have a back up plan, but if being a PA is what you really want to do, keep at it! 

I don't want to repeat what has already been said, so I will address a different angle completely. 

Are you debt free? Or do you have a lot of student loans? Make use of this "gap year" to work your tail off to get out of debt (preferably a place where you can get HCE). Working hard to pay off debt stands out because NOBODY really does it these days. It's a way to invest in your future even though it might seem like you are "doing nothing but waiting."

If you are debt free...awesome! Save up money so you don't have to borrow as much $ for PA school.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pastudentw said:

yes, I was citing individual program admissions just from schools that I've researched that post their class data. Increasing the number of programs to which you apply is a great strategy but still not fantastic odds either way. Agreed on the multi-factorial aspect of applications too. You could be a great applicant but not fit the class profile or mission etc. That's part of what makes it so anguishing to wait out. 

• Upvote 1

2016 cycle- all rejections; (11 programs)

2017 cycle - 3 for 3 so far with interview invites and no rejections yet.  (13 programs)

For me there is no plan B, I only want to be a PA when I grow up!  I know some people recommend plan B's but I am not that kind of person.  In the end, you have to ask yourself how bad do you want it?

Keep strengthening your application and eventually you will get in without a doubt.

• Upvote 5

I had over 100 credits with no degree to show for it when I started my journey back from an extremely low gpa. I took the advice of the people on this forum and chose a BSRT route which included me taking a couple prereqs for PA like A&P I/II, Micro, stats and a few core classes that I needed. That was my trial run to see if this was going to be a reality and I've kept a 4.0 since returning to school (about 20 hrs and counting). I shadowed an RT and I fell in love with it and saw that this was a degree/backup plan that not only would provide me with a job directly out of school, but also would provide me with a level of satisfaction while I was working towards applying to PA schools. I start next week and I have 74 credits to raise my cgpa and they count in sgpa also. I'm volunteering as an MA in a Pulmonologist's office two days a week and at a free clinic with a NP so I'm learning more and more about different roles in healthcare. This is a marathon as I won't even be applying for 3 years at least but every move that I make is geared towards the goal of PA school

• 3 years later...
On 8/10/2017 at 6:37 AM, JD2012 said:

2016 cycle- all rejections; (11 programs)

2017 cycle - 3 for 3 so far with interview invites and no rejections yet.  (13 programs)

For me there is no plan B, I only want to be a PA when I grow up!  I know some people recommend plan B's but I am not that kind of person.  In the end, you have to ask yourself how bad do you want it?

Keep strengthening your application and eventually you will get in without a doubt.

JD2012, how did it turn out?  Make it in anywhere?

This is a topic most of us would rather not think about.   I'm applying next cycle.  Honestly, at this point I'm not even entertaining the thought of not getting in.  To echo what others have said, if PA is what you're truly set on,  use the next year to gain more HCE/PCE, maybe take some upper division science courses (ie Histology, Immunology, Molecular Biology, etc) to enhance your competitiveness.  It can only help.  However; as you've said, you're still awaiting responses from other schools so there's definitely still hope this time around!

If I had to choose a back up plan, I would just go ALL IN and apply to Medical School (I hear it's less competitive than PA school, albeit slight).

Keep pushing forward- and focus on the prize. 🙂

Look, I'm an MBA, so I'm familiar w/ market and industry strategy, and the more I read the more I think we're all working a little too hard chasing the carrot.  Perhaps a better question is, what emerging health care field only requires a bachelor's degree now but will likely be a master's in the next 5-10 years?

PA was only a bachelor's about 20 years ago....  PT and OT used to be masters and are now 3 yr doctorates.  See the progression...?  Academia and health care have us duped.  Get ahead of the game.

That said, what are the hot health science bachelor's degrees now that will be masters in the next few years?

I think some people here are being a little harsh, with all the respect. I know i've been a vocal advocate of "if it's not you're first pick, then it shouldn't be your pick at all"... however, I don't think it's bad that you explore backup options. This is my second cycle applying, however if I don't get in for a THIRD cycle, I don't think it's financially feasible for me to apply again and lose another year. These are things that people don't consider. Sometimes, you don't' have that time or financial freedom to chase your dreams. I can't work as a entry level medical worker forever - i'm not dependent on anyone - I need to take the next step, and I can always revisit becoming a PA if it doesn't work out again 🙂 

If you're thinking of back up, I got a similar story for you. My bf went to an (unnamed) PA bachelor's program. Not too long in, he decided he didn't like the classes and scope of practice. So, he transferred out of the major, graduated, and now will be attending an Entry Levels in Nursing Master's Program. After, he can jump up to NP. (So this is a 4-5 year option to go from MSN - NP). 

A MPH is also good science GPA "fluff" to buy a year of time (accelerated MPH is 12-18 months, however the SOPHAS for 2020-2021 is closed so you'll have some slim pickings for programs).

On 8/8/2017 at 1:50 PM, pastudentw said:

From the cited article above:

• 27,283 people applied to PA school in 2019-2020
  • 8,802 of those applicants were accepted into PA school
  • 32% of all PA school applicants were accepted into a PA program
  • The average PA program’s matriculation rate is 7%

So a 7% chance to get into your 1st choice school and 32% to get into any school. Those aren't exactly good betting odds but that's what we are all doing. A breakdown of first cycle applications vs second cycle application would be interesting to see if your chances improve at all by being persistent.

PA school was my back-up plan.  I wanted to go to veterinary school.  Applied to 1 vet school and 2 PA schools.  Got interview/accepted at one PA school.  Vet school and 2nd PA school both rejections.  Initially, I wanted to start PA school and then reapply to vet school.  After starting PA school, and being shot at with the water hose of information, I thought there was no way I could handle 4 years of vet school.  Looking back now, I could have totally handled vet school, but I'm happy with my back-up plan career.