How would you recommend I strengthen my App?

I know these are common threads so I apologize for redundancy.

I am in my 2nd year applying to PA schools. I just interviewed with the one school that I was waitlisted at last year and found out I've been waitlisted again this year. This news was very disheartening, as I felt my chances for getting in this year were best with this school. I emailed the admissions committee to see what their recommendations were to improve my app but I have not heard anything back. Last year I applied to 20 schools, interviewed at 3, waitlisted at 1. This year I'm applying to fewer schools. I want to stay the course but I'm starting to feel like this may not come to fruition.

Here are my stats:

Undergrad science GPA from 2009 - 3.43

Recent science GPA from 2013-2016 - 3.94

GRE - Verbal 152; Quant 151; Writing 4.0

Shadowing - 40+ hours with PAs and MDs in different settings

HCE - 2000+ in a wide variety of settings

Research experience - 1 year in diabetes drug trial where I was clinically involved as well as processing lab samples

Certified EMT-IV

Limited volunteering though around 40 hours in the past year

Major weaknesses:

C grade in Microbiology from 2007

C- grade in Orgo Chem 1 from 2007

**since 2007 I have made an A in Orgo Chem 2 and straight As in high level science courses such as Anatomy, Biochemistry, Advanced Anatomy, Physics**

I'm feeling a bit stuck and I'm not sure how to improve my application this year. These are what I feel might be doable but I'm not sure if it would make a big difference for me. I also do not want to overwhelm myself financially and time commitment-wise.

1. Retake Microbiology (I will make an A) (but would that be a waste of time and money?)

2. Retake Organic Chemistry 1 (even though I made an A in Ochem 2 recently...)

3. Shadow more?

4. Volunteer more?

5. Get another certification? Like CNA

6. Postpone PA school and get a Master's in something?

Any advice and encouragement/insight would be wonderful, thank you all for your time.

My first impression is your interview performance might be an issue; you got interviews at 3 schools and caught on at none. They were at least interested in meeting you.

What did you do in the last year to become a better applicant?

What were those 2000 hrs of HCE?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the feedback. I had a suspicion about that. Any advice on what I could do to improve upon that? I have always gotten good feedback from interviews for jobs in the past so that comes as a bit of a shock, though I'm more than happy to look into improving my performance.

In the last year I've volunteered a bit more with a horse therapy program for challenged individuals and horses-in-need.

My HCE is mostly hyperbaric tech and wound care tech hours. I have some EMS hours and I did a few years in optometry as a tech and optician.

Did you leave the interviews feeling good? How did you prepare for them? Did you reach out for feedback last year?

I worked in undergraduate admissions and I can say from that experience the best interviews were the ones that were personal. The individuals were often dedicated or passionate about a specific topic or project. Perhaps you did not stand out from your peers. Reflect on what your goals are and what you want to interviewer to know about you. On paper you sound like a solid candidate and I am sorry your hard work hasn't yet paid off! Do not give up hope!

I'll also add:  you need to figure out your cGPA and sGPA - not undergrad vs post grad.  I don't think we are getting an appropriate picture of your GPA.  Have you actually worked as an EMT or just have the cert?  Certs are pointless if you aren't going to use them - don't get CNA certified if you aren't going to work as a CNA.  You need more HCE, shadowing, and possibly improved personal statements and LORs.  Retaking 2 classes isn't going to make or break your app. 

I realize this advice is too late for this cycle, but make sure you are applying to programs where you are competitive.  Middle of the road GPA with low HCE (2000 hrs is a year of full time work....on your second cycle I would hope for more than that).  You got 3 interviews last time; work on interview skills as well.

Thank you everyone so far. This has been really good feedback.

Better info for you:

I usually leave the interviews feeling a bit uncertain. I'm a type A replaying everything in my mind. I've prepared by looking at common PA school interview questions and writing out answers. I try to smile and seem relaxed, I try to learn about the faculty before hand so I can ask them more about themselves and their roles in the program. I try to be as positive, encouraging and kind as I can to other candidates and to the faculty and staff.  Although I've reached out to schools about my interviews, I've not received feedback from them. After thinking about my interviews, I get really nervous and may ramble a little bit without firmly articulating what I want them to know about me. Sounds like I need to get more organized. I'm thinking of practicing in front of my computer and recording, having friends and family interview me and maybe going to my post grad school for mock interviews.

I heard about a rule of 3: 3 reasons why you should choose me, 3 reasons I want to go to your school, 3 reasons I want to be a PA, 3 things I want to know more about the program. I think that will help me get a bit more organized and concise in my interviews while also allowing me to articulate the things I want the schools to know about me better. What do you think?

I will definitely read that book, thank you for the rec!

Those posted GPAs are my science GPAs, my apologies for not specifying.

I also apologize that I put 2000+ hours at the start, I did not have my exact numbers. When I submitted CASPA in April I had 3120 hours in my current position as a hyperbaric tech/wound care tech, I work full-time so that number is growing. I've never worked as a direct EMT but my hyperbaric tech position requires the certification and my clinical research position required it and IV skills. I was part time at my research position so I accrued about 1000 hours there.

I have around 4000 hours of healthcare related experience that involved some clinical work but was not primarily clinical (optician/optometry tech, EMS registration, lifeguard, etc).

I've been in the workforce for 15 years (half of my life) and most of my jobs have been healthcare related in some way.

Do you think my age might deter them? I'm 30 years old, got my undergrad in 2009, took more science prereqs between 2013-2016. Most of the current students and candidates I've met at my interviews are younger than me.

Your new tactic for interviews sounds great! It will hopefully cut down on the nervous rambling and make you seem more assured of yourself. I have never heard of the rule of 3s, but it sounds like it will allow you to nail down how you want to present yourself. You want to leave an interview feeling excited and positive about your responses. I'd hope age would not deter programs from admitting you. It sounds like you have a lot of valuable experience!

I believe you have good stats "on paper," and two poor grades aren't going to hurt you that much. The problem is likely in your interviews. Have you called the program to find out why you weren't accepted? Have you asked them what you can do to strengthen your application?

Archived