My Pre-PA Journey as a non-traditional student. Anyone else non-traditional?

Hey guys, I'm sure there's a lot of non-traditional students out there. I'm currently working as a Physical Therapist Assistant in a rehab hospital and a Pre-PA student applying to the PA program next year. I made a video to talk about my experiences, why I chose PA, and what my aspirations are as a future PA. Let me know what you think, and I would love if some non-traditional students who are seeing this are willing to share their experiences as well!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChristianPrePA said:

Hey guys, I'm sure there's a lot of non-traditional students out there. I'm currently working as a Physical Therapist Assistant in a rehab hospital and a Pre-PA student applying to the PA program next year. I made a video to talk about my experiences, why I chose PA, and what my aspirations are as a future PA. Let me know what you think, and I would love if some non-traditional students who are seeing this are willing to share their experiences as well!

I am a nontraditional student as well. Thank you for sharing your journey with us 🙂 Love the video! 

• Like 1

My work computer isn't letting my load your video (lol) but I'll bookmark it to watch later 🙂 

I feel like most PA candidates have unique histories and paths, so more often "non-traditional" than not, which is what makes hearing other applicants' stories so cool. I spent much of my 20s as a homeless alcoholic and addict before getting sober and dedicating myself to becoming a PA. Went back to school at age 28, started working for a hospital age 30, now age 33 applying to PA schools for the second time. No interviews yet but keeping my chin up. So many folks here that are all deserving. 

Best wishes to you on your journey!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alysd said:

My work computer isn't letting my load your video (lol) but I'll bookmark it to watch later 🙂 

I feel like most PA candidates have unique histories and paths, so more often "non-traditional" than not, which is what makes hearing other applicants' stories so cool. I spent much of my 20s as a homeless alcoholic and addict before getting sober and dedicating myself to becoming a PA. Went back to school at age 28, started working for a hospital age 30, now age 33 applying to PA schools for the second time. No interviews yet but keeping my chin up. So many folks here that are all deserving. 

Best wishes to you on your journey!

Thanks for the support! Yes, there's a ton of non-trad in my Pre-PA program, I think mostly because they treat transfers as internal applicants. Gives us non-trad students almost the same chances as a traditional, younger student!

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, spainterrd said:

I just started pa school.  I am 45 years old with degrees in biochem and nutrition.  I worked as a dietitian and diabetes educator. My kids are 18, 15, and 13 years old. My hope is to work in endocrinology. It is an interesting dynamic to be twice the age of my classmates. 

Yes it is! I was 40 years out from my freshman year and my first grandson was born when I was in PA school. My classmates were our youngest child's age. Somehow it worked. I gave life advice when asked and drank beer with them as equals the rest of the time. Enjoy!

• Upvote 1