Psychiatry salary

Anyone help me out with this informal offer

115k for new grad increases to 125 after second year

Work only Saturday and Sunday for the year. I would have to see all new consults at two hospitals that are 15 mins apart. No consults still get paid/ 20 consults no change in pay. Volume varies but its all psych consults in the medical hospital. I have never seen more than 8 in one day between both as far as new consults.

We didn't talk about vacation. I was thinking of asking for 8 total days of vacation. So a random Saturday or Sunday I needed off.

No help as a new grad. No mentorship because I will be basically autonomous. The job is basically to make the physicians life easier so they don't have to round on the weekend.

They said 1000 for CME and they pay for all credentialing and licensing etc

That salary is the rate that they give the full time PAs and NPs that work M-F but they also have bonus potential from RVUs. This weekend role will not have enough production to get any type of substantial bonus if any at all. I may have to get another job anyway to make up for the lost pay that the M-F people get from RVU bonus. 

Do you think I should negotiate 125k for the first year because of the lost bonus potential?

Psych providers in my area are a hot commodity. 150k is pretty close to the norm for someone with a couple years of experience. The top earning NP at this group earns 190k but he works like a dog.  

What state is this hospital?

I would look at what the Bureau of Labor Statistics to kind of see how much the pay is in that state. Also talk to other PA's in that area to see how much they are paid if you can find one.

I would ask them to give me 125k since you are missing out on the bonuses and also working weekends too. If they say "NO". just work for a yr and gain the experiences. What they are starting you will is not bad. If you get another job somewhere for maybe two or three days a week, you maybe making over 200k a year. this is SOOO Good.

Ummm, 115 for a new grad is pretty excellent. Not to mention you are only working two days a week. You might have to get another job to make up for loss of income?! At 115,000? Have you looked around here at others offers? Some new grads, even experienced PAs are lucky enough to get paid 90,000 for an ortho gig where you are working 55+ hours AND taking call. I'd say sat and sun at 115 is pretty amazing, and as a new grad I wouldn't ask for more as they may just move on to another provider, but if your confident, then go ahead and ask.

I'm in a large southern metropolitan city. There is no saturation for psych in this area. That is not to say that saturation does not exist here. Primary care pays mid 90s but there are some low ball offers in the 80s no matter where you go.  

No help as a new grad. No mentorship because I will be basically autonomous. The job is basically to make the physicians life easier so they don't have to round on the weekend.

Biggest red flag in your statement. Money is good, but as a new grad you NEED some mentoring and direction. Who do you talk to if you have a question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only cover consults and follow ups in the medical hospital. There will be a psychiatrist that covers call/rounding/consults for the psychiatric hospital. So if I have a question I can call the physician who is covering call. I desire the mentorship and guidance from a regular clinic role, but I'm not sure I can pass on an opportunity like this.

Agreed, that salary is pretty good.  I did outpatient psych for a bit and pulled in $150k for 35 hours a week. I had 8 years ER experience/2 years hospitalists.  So, newbie to psych.  I had basically no mentorship.  The doc only worked half days during the week.  I was given a med book, an office, and started seeing patients.  This is NOT for everyone, but for me I know how to find answers and am more comfortable binge learning then sitting and slowly learning from someone. 

Psych is a well paying specialty, but as Corpsman said, it is possible you could be pigeon holed into psych, but that may not be a bad thing.  With this gig only being weekends, then you could easily find a part-time urgent care/ER job to keep up your medical skills. 

• 5 weeks later...

I am relatively new to the idea of RVUs. The bonus structure will include 32 dollars per RVU once I have billed over my base salary. I am unsure if this is attainable or if that will even significantly increase my salary. 

Other part of contract 5 paid days for CME and $1000 in addition to 26 days of PTO

14 hours ago, JRAH said:

I am relatively new to the idea of RVUs. The bonus structure will include 32 dollars per RVU once I have billed over my base salary. I am unsure if this is attainable or if that will even significantly increase my salary. 

Other part of contract 5 paid days for CME and $1000 in addition to 26 days of PTO

So you will be working Sat/Sun and they are giving you 26 days PTO? So you will have 13 FULL weeks off per year and the rest will be 5 days off in a row? I would take this job in a heart beat...

PS How does the 5 days off for CME work? You will be off most days week days and  most conferences are on part of a weekend so you will have even more days off...This sounds like a dream job...I hope there is not a catch...Good luck and let us know.

Archived