Samuel Merritt University: 2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, NewbiesAmbition said:

Congratulations to those who have received an interview invite already!

Those of you that have accepted the interview invite; Have you received the email with the information regarding interview and all other documents? 

No, I have not received the email yet. However, we are playing phone tag. I missed her call inviting me and had to leave her a voicemail confirming I am going to attend. I am sure they were busy today with calls and in the next few days they will send them out. 

2 hours ago, mtorr_ca said:

Does anyone know how fast they let you know after the interview if you're declined or accepted? 

So last year, those in the first group had an added bonus of having a slight chance at being given an early acceptance invite within a week or two after interviewing. The rest of the interviewees from the three dates had to wait until the first week in March to hear if they had been accepted/wait-listed/rejected. 

Congrats to those who were offered an interview spot so far! We are excited to meet you guys!

Hi guys! Samuel Merritt will give all the information you need to know in the email, including an itinerary! Us, current students, will not provide any further information so that no one gets an unfair advantage.

Some general tips: Wear comfy dress shoes (most interviews will have a tour), chapstick, water bottle, breath mints, pen, notepad to take notes (if you’d like), dress nice (interview apparel), and lastly BE YOURSELF! 

Congrats to everyone who got interview invites so far!

Hi guys! Samuel Merritt will give all the information you need to know in the email, including an itinerary! Us, current students, will not provide any further information so that no one gets an unfair advantage.
Some general tips: Wear comfy dress shoes (most interviews will have a tour), chapstick, water bottle, breath mints, pen, notepad to take notes (if you’d like), dress nice (interview apparel), and lastly BE YOURSELF! 
Congrats to everyone who got interview invites so far!

By chance, do you know how many interviews they will offer this year? Or how many different sessions they will be holding? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jmtam said:

By chance, do you know how many interviews they will offer this year? Or how many different sessions they will be holding? Thanks in advance!

There will be three interview sessions. In past application cycles they have interviewed 144 candidates for 44 seats.

2 minutes ago, Grace Johnson said:

Hi all! I was offered an interview on January 20th, however I have already accepted a position at a different program  so I have declined my SMU interview invite. I hope that declining opens up a spot for another applicant to interview! Best of luck to all interviewees!

sounds like SMU knows the best of the best when they see them. congrats on your acceptance to PA school and thank you for keeping us in the loop! :)

17 minutes ago, jmtam said:

Do you know if all sessions have been filled? Or if all invited have been extended?

Unfortunately as students we do not know anything about sessions filled, or interview invites sent out. All of that goes through admissions and current students have no say or any idea about stuff. Hope that helps! 

26 minutes ago, jmtam said:

Do you know if all sessions have been filled? Or if all invited have been extended?

While we can't give specifics as we are not provided with a ton of information in regards to the selection process...since there hasn't been anyone on this forum that has indicated that they have been offered an interview spot for other dates, I think you can infer that there will still be invites that will go out. 

On 12/12/2017 at 1:22 PM, Grace Johnson said:

Hi all! I was offered an interview on January 20th, however I have already accepted a position at a different program  so I have declined my SMU interview invite. I hope that declining opens up a spot for another applicant to interview! Best of luck to all interviewees!

I did the same thing! Congrats to you getting accepted elsewhere. 

Good Luck to whoever get our spots!

Hello Everyone! I was curious as to how many PA students receive scholarships? Also, for those who live off campus it seems the rent is very expensive. Hopefully not too intrusive and I apologize if it is.....how have other students managed the cost of living with the cost of PA school? Also, is there a certain area that is safe and less expensive? Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Peanut3 said:

Hello Everyone! I was curious as to how many PA students receive scholarships? Also, for those who live off campus it seems the rent is very expensive. Hopefully not too intrusive and I apologize if it is.....how have other students managed the cost of living with the cost of PA school? Also, is there a certain area that is safe and less expensive? Thank you!

Not sure about how many have received scholarships. That is something that the financial aid department can assist you with if you are accepted. You are correct, rent is really expensive out here. Luckily, student loans have covered all expenses for those students who do not have other means to pay for the high cost of living out here. A lot of classmates will get roommates to offset the cost, others don't have that option (i.e. are married, have kids, etc.). Some live with family, others rent a room in a house. You'll be able to find something that works for you if you are accepted. The Bay Area is expensive no matter where you look, unless you go far outside and then the commute will be an issue. We have a map that we can pass along to you of places we recommend once we have an idea of who will be in the upcoming class. And don't worry, you will have plenty of time to find the perfect place to fit your needs. If you are curious, looking at crime maps of the area will help narrow down your search. Also, using google maps to calculate commute time from different cities can also help narrow down your search. It really depends on what you are willing to do. Hope this helps and sorry I can't be more specific at this time, but you can ask us during your interview for specifics if interested!   

On 12/18/2017 at 5:06 PM, ChristineQLe said:

SMU also sent out an invite for a pizza social the night before the interview, anyone rsvp for 01/19? Current students, What is the recommended attire/what did you wear?

I believe the email that was sent out says it is casual...which is true. It will literally just be us students at the pizza party, so no faculty. I remember last year all of the current students were in jeans and sweatshirts, scrubs, or workout clothes. I think I wore jeans, boots, and a nice sweater and I fit in just fine. That seemed to be what all of the interviewees wore (jeans and nice top). It is just a fun and informal night to help answer any preliminary questions you might have, meet other interviewees, and help calm your nerves before the big day. I totally recommend it!

On 12/19/2017 at 9:10 AM, Peanut3 said:

Hello Everyone! I was wondering from the current students what a typically week looks like as far as how many test and quizzes and how many hours each day are spent in the classroom. Thank you!

The schedule is variable, but in general, you can expect to be in class M-F and any time between 8 am and 7 pm. For example, you might be in class from 8 am to 2 pm on Mondays with a 1 hour break for lunch, Tuesdays might be from 9 am to 6 pm with a 1 hour lunch break, Wednesday might be from 8 am to 11 am with no breaks, etc. Of course, this will be variable across cohorts. In terms of graded assignments, expect to have something "big" due every week, sometimes multiple things due. It is a lot of work, but so rewarding! We are just finishing our last final today and I can not believe how much knowledge and the amount of skills that I have gained since September. SMU is truly molding us and preparing us to be exceptional practitioners. Again, we can talk more specifics at the pizza party/interview day. 

Happy Holidays!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, does anyone know the third interview date and if they already sent out invites for it yet? Thanks! 
Are we sure they fully scheduled a 2nd round? I only saw one individual post about a 2nd date a week after the first one on the 20th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Archived