Samuel Merritt University: 2017-2018 Application Cycle

Hey Everyone! I am going to be interviewing on 1/20 and my flight gets in on 1/19 in the late afternoon. I want to join for the pizza gathering the night before the interview but may not be able to make it. If I am not able to make the pizza night will there be time during the interview on 1/20 to talk to the students? Thank you.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Peanut3 said:

Hey Everyone! I am going to be interviewing on 1/20 and my flight gets in on 1/19 in the late afternoon. I want to join for the pizza gathering the night before the interview but may not be able to make it. If I am not able to make the pizza night will there be time during the interview on 1/20 to talk to the students? Thank you.

Yes, our class assists in different ways during the interview days, so we will be able to answer questions you may have throughout the day as your schedule allows. Plus, you will receive information from the program itself which should help to answer questions you might have that are program specific. I would still recommend coming to the pizza night as long as you can make it safely as it is a neat way to have your questions answered in a less structured/more informal setting. See you in about a week and a half!

1 minute ago, MLicci said:

Yes, our class assists in different ways during the interview days, so we will be able to answer questions you may have throughout the day as your schedule allows. Plus, you will receive information from the program itself which should help to answer questions you might have that are program specific. I would still recommend coming to the pizza night as long as you can make it safely as it is a neat way to have your questions answered in a less structured/more informal setting. See you in about a week and a half!

Thank you MLicci for your insight! I am hoping and planning to be there, but unsure due to when the flight arrives and traffic. See you soon!

Almost forgot to mention to you guys following this thread that our class is taking over SMU's Instagram account tomorrow, January 9th, to showcase a day in the life of the 2019 SMU PA cohort. If you haven't done so already, take a moment to follow SMU on Instagram. We might also be able to answer quick questions throughout the day. Hope you guys get to check it out! 

4 hours ago, Bonist55 said:

I applied early and have yet to receive an invite.  I hope they are still sending out invites!

19 hours ago, TallyJVR said:

Are there going to be more interview invites sent out? 

From what I've been reading on this forum, it looks like there's a total of 3 interview sessions. One is on 1/20 and multiple people got invites for that. Only one other person here has said they got an invite for 1/27, and I don't think invites for the 3rd session have been sent out yet.  

Hello all, 

I had received a call earlier in December inviting me for an interview on 1/20. After accepting the interview, I called them on Tuesday 1/9 withdrawing from the interview hoping that it would allow someone else the opportunity to shine and earn and acceptance.

I wish everyone the best of luck in their application and interview process.  

Cheers.

On 10/29/2017 at 7:20 PM, MLicci said:

BenBenBen is right, I will respond to some questions on here, but he need not pester me, lol. I also may not reply as we get closer to an exam and I will not provide any insight into interview-day specifics, so don't ask. I can confirm what he has gone over. The waiting game is a tough one, but if you are invited to an interview, it will absolutely be worth the wait. SMU was by far the best interview experience I had last year and I was over the moon at having earned a slot. I was in the first group of interviews and heard nothing from SMU until January. I wouldn't bother the admissions department with any questions as they are super busy and they most likely won't respond. It stinks, but it is true.  

The Good: I love my classmates! SMU did such a great job picking out our cohort and it truly makes the grad school experience so much more rich because of my amazing individuals I get to spend time with almost daily. Also, all of our professors are amazing and really know their stuff and have actually worked out in the field. One day I was having trouble accessing an assignment and I was able to call my professor on his cell phone to get the issue resolved within a couple minutes. How often have you been able to do that?! Also, BenBenBen and I started Vertical Run Club (indoor rock climbing club) which is something you should totally join if you are accepted. Lastly, SMU has an amazing reputation in the Bay Area for educating some amazing PAs. You will be so well-trained and your future employers will know it thanks to those who have come before you and the great care SMU has taken in instilling trust in the local community. 

The Maybe-Not-So-Good: The bay area is expensive and traffic can be a real pain...but completely worth it to attend SMU. Other than that, I don't have any real negatives. You guys would be lucky to go here. I feel stoked walking onto campus everyday and know that SMU is going to help mold me into an amazing PA. 

So, don't stress. Enjoy life while you are not in PA school as it is a tough, but totally doable, adjustment. If you have any questions, we can try to help you guys out. We were just there a year ago, so we understand the anxiety and possible frustrations you must be feeling. If there is something you guys must do while you are waiting, read "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman. It is required reading for many PA programs, and will open your eyes into cultural clashes that can occur in medicine in our melting pot of a country. It is also an amazing read! I have to go study for anatomy now...  

I was just invited to interview at SMU today. Believe it or not, the cultural broker, May Ying Xiong, in the book was my boss. This amazing woman would go on to establish a community based non-profit organization that provided social services to Hmong families in Sacramento for over 20 years. She is truly an amazing woman for our Hmong community, which Fadiman attempts to understand in the book. 

23 hours ago, SengVang said:

I submitted my CASPA on July 15th. I received the call today inviting me to interview on January 27th; however, it would have been difficult for me to attend the interview that day. I asked to be interviewed on February 10th instead. 

Same Same!

19 minutes ago, TommyB said:

For those who are interviewing this weekend. Did any of you receive a packet? I remember it being mentioned in the phone call. 

15 minutes ago, ChristineQLe said:

Just an email with directions, hotel accommodations

For those of you interviewing this weekend: you should’ve gotten an email with some information including directions and hotel suggestions (as ChristineQLe said) from Dawn and also an invite to pizza night (which is optional) from Jeff. Checking your inbox and junk folder often is a good idea to make sure you didn’t miss anything!

We look forward to meeting those who are interviewing in just a few short days!!

47 minutes ago, TommyB said:

Thank you for the information. I didn't receive an email from Dawn on where the interviews will be located (not in spam folder). I just received emails concerning the social on Friday. Could someone provide me with the information that concerns Saturday? 

For obvious reasons we won’t post any specifics about interviews here. I highly encourage you to get into contact with SMU to let them know you haven’t received anything. 

Did anyone notice how the interview offer says the class starts in the fall of 2020?

The email says "Congratulations! You have been selected to be interviewed for admissions into the Master Physician Assistant Program at Samuel Merritt University starting in the Fall of 2020"

I'll assume they meant for the class of 2020.. >_<

19 hours ago, khwaaa said:

Did anyone notice how the interview offer says the class starts in the fall of 2020?

The email says "Congratulations! You have been selected to be interviewed for admissions into the Master Physician Assistant Program at Samuel Merritt University starting in the Fall of 2020"

I'll assume they meant for the class of 2020.. >_<

That's strange. Mine says fall of 2018. Probably just a typo, but worth checking on. Was it the email or the interview offer letter attached to it?

Archived