Post-DHSc Follow-up

Those of you who have completed a doctorate program such as the ones offered by Nova Southeastern or ATSU...  What are you doing now?  Are you still practicing clinically?  Have you gone into academia?  Administration?  Are you working for the government or an NGO?

How are your new paychecks?  What do you enjoy about your new career that you wouldn't have otherwise been able to achieve?

Realizing that, as much as I love the OR, I won't be able to operate forever, I'm considering a couple of these programs in hopes of increasing my earnings potential and opening up a few different paths for the future.  Your thoughts?

completed my DHSc at Nova in 2015 in the global health pathway. Since that time:

Sat on a Global Health Experts Panel at a local PA program

Became medical site coordinator for a clinic in Haiti

Led 4 medical missions to Haiti, including one a week after Hurricane Matthew

Secured a part time position teaching global health at a new doctoral program

Was named a distinguished alumni at my Alma Mater PA program for my work in global health

was appointed to the editorial board of a prominent PA/NP website

Was asked to participate in a W.H.O. sponsored trauma team in Iraq for 18 days this coming summer with www.nycmedics.org  (I accepted).

As far as my day to day work it has not changed because of the DHSc. I still work full time in EM in my late 40s, but now have options for the future to include teaching, leadership, govt and ngo work, etc. My part time teaching (one online course/semester) will pay for the DHSc in less than 2 years. I really enjoyed the program and would do it again. For those who have not seen the thread in the recovery room on my progress through the degree over 4 years, see the Taking the DHSc plunge thread.  link below.

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/1764-taking-the-dhsc-plunge/

completed my DHSc at Nova in 2015 in the global health pathway. Since that time:

Was named a distinguished alumni at my Alma Mater PA program for my work in global health

Was asked to participate in a W.H.O. sponsored trauma team in Iraq for 18 days this coming summer with www.nycmedics.org  (I accepted).

As far as my day to day work it has not changed because of the DHSc. I still work full time in EM in my late 40s, but now have options for the future to include teaching, leadership, govt and ngo work, etc. My part time teaching (one online course/semester) will pay for the DHSc in less than 2 years. I really enjoyed the program and would do it again. For those who have not seen the thread in the recovery room on my progress through the degree over 4 years, see the Taking the DHSc plunge thread.  link below.

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/1764-taking-the-dhsc-plunge/

I've actually read through that thread several times, and it's been an IMMENSE help in trying to decide whether one of these programs is for me or not.  It's also been fairly intimidating with regard to the work load and time commitment for someone who will continue to practice medicine full time.  Haha.

Impressive list of recent accolades!  So it seems to me that you've used the degree to advance yourself in some outside endeavors, with the plan of eventually making those things your career.  Is that fair to say?  Do you think you'll end up teaching full time, or doing something in global health/policy?  Have you received any offers for full time work yet?  If so, how did they measure up?

I've applied, and been accepted to the new EVMS program, and am debating whether to send an application to NSU as well.  I'm looking forward to starting a new chapter on my career, but some of the nay sayers out there are telling me that I'm wasting time getting a doctorate if my ultimate goal is to increase my earning potential in a field outside of direct patient care.  Any thoughts on this?  I'm not sure EXACTLY where my interests lie just yet, although I have always envisioned myself teaching as I get older.

Was asked to participate in a W.H.O. sponsored trauma team in Iraq for 18 days this coming summer with www.nycmedics.org (I accepted).

As far as my day to day work it has not changed because of the DHSc. I still work full time in EM in my late 40s, but now have options for the future to include teaching, leadership, govt and ngo work, etc. My part time teaching (one online course/semester) will pay for the DHSc in less than 2 years. I really enjoyed the program and would do it again. For those who have not seen the thread in the recovery room on my progress through the degree over 4 years, see the Taking the DHSc plunge thread. link below.

I dont wanna hijack this thread at all but i think my question may be of interest to the OP. I was wondering if anyone has frelings about the new DMSc at Lynchburg compared to the DHSc? Seems to lead to the same end with less tine. EMED your thoughts are specifically appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I dont wanna hijack this thread at all but i think my question may be of interest to the OP. I was wondering if anyone has frelings about the new DMSc at Lynchburg compared to the DHSc? Seems to lead to the same end with less tine. EMED your thoughts are specifically appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I'm more interested in seeing where the people who have already finished a doctorate program have ended up.  That said, I'm sure I'll look over the Lynchburg page as well now, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

DMSc sounds more appealing than DHSc. More information about the Lynchburg program anyone?

On second thought...editing my previous post for privacy's sake.

The LC website has some good information on it, and I'm fairly certain there are a few threads about it floating around here somewhere.  Curious to see if they end up getting their accreditation though.  Seems from the website that it's still up in the air.  

"The doctoral program offering is contingent upon the approval of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)."

At any rate...I'd like to get back on topic a bit here.  Anyone else out there who has completed a doctorate?

I don't see the doctorate making me more money than I currently make working clinically, I see it giving me more options for the future. I have not applied for any full-time non-clinical positions yet, but am certain a doctorate would help me stand apart from other applicants when doing so.

As far as DHSc vs DMSc: I see the DMSc as a more clinical degree designed to help PAs compete on even ground with DNPs for the same jobs. The DHSc has almost twice as many credit hours and allows one to explore an area of interest (education, research, global health, leadership) to a greater degree. Also look at the various  DrPH programs out there. If I lived near Harvard I might be tempted to do their new DrPH. the faculty is awesome with world class guest lecturers.

I looked at the EVMS program. 42 credits. no electives. focused on leadership and innovation in health care. looks a little "fluffy" to me like a DNP curriculum. I may be biased, but both Nova and ATSU look like more solid programs.

They do describe a "Capstone Course" as being part of the curriculum at EVMS, but I don't know the specifics of what that entails.

Hey, E.  Can you elaborate a little more on what you mean by "fluffy" and "like a DNP program" with regard to EVMS?

I do like that the Nova program has electives and various pathways you can follow, but it seems like it might take substantially longer to finish, based on your blog.

Wish I had known about the Harvard program earlier.  I would have absolutely applied...

Comparing DHSc and DrPH,are there limits on future opportunities if you go either route, or are they pretty comparable?

This would be a few years in the future for me, but I am interested in a doctorate at some point.

I finished the Nova program in March and did the generalist track. It has not changed my paycheck yet or given me any additional responsibility. I wanted to complete the program to go into academics or administration.

I have applied for a dozen teaching positions over the past couple months. Only half contacted me back an interview. I was a little surprised as I thought having a doctorate would make me a desired candidite. I've turned down several invites for second interviews because of pay or location. I have my top choice program interview this week.

In the mean time I'm starting a new clinical position with a large health care system. So, it would be great to be noticed and work my way into administration.

The Lynchburg program looks like it will be good and have a clinical focus. Had they been up and running 4 years ago, I would have done that.

The DMSc options were not really up and running back when I was looking for a program.

What I dislike about Nova is the lack of concentration options. AT Still has more options to choose from. I say I have a doctorate in health science and nobody knows what that means. I wish I can say in academics or leadership. So, I just list various courses taken to point them out.

while I agree that Nova has only 2 formal tracks, global health and generalist, there is some wiggle room within the electives of the generalist track to focus on education or leadership if those are important to you. If global health is your focus, Nova definitely has a better focus option than ATSU with 11 courses in the focus vs 3 or 4. If research is your thing, the ATSU program is a bit more robust in that regard. Nova does have a PhD option and DHSc to PhD bridge program as well if you really want to focus on research.

I finished the Nova program in March and did the generalist track. It has not changed my paycheck yet or given me any additional responsibility. I wanted to complete the program to go into academics or administration.

I have applied for a dozen teaching positions over the past couple months. Only half contacted me back an interview. I was a little surprised as I thought having a doctorate would make me a desired candidite. I've turned down several invites for second interviews because of pay or location. I have my top choice program interview this week.

In the mean time I'm starting a new clinical position with a large health care system. So, it would be great to be noticed and work my way into administration.

The Lynchburg program looks like it will be good and have a clinical focus. Had they been up and running 4 years ago, I would have done that.

The DMSc options were not really up and running back when I was looking for a program.

What I dislike about Nova is the lack of concentration options. AT Still has more options to choose from. I say I have a doctorate in health science and nobody knows what that means. I wish I can say in academics or leadership. So, I just list various courses taken to point them out.

This is probably my greatest concern about spending the time and effort on the Nova program...ending up on the opposite side without a way to properly use the degree.  Of course, that's still a potential concern with EVMS, or any other DHSc program for that matter.  I have yet to hear anyone say that it's led to something different in their full time career upon graduation.

Are you happy you did it, Dizzy?  Would you do it over again (barring any possibility of a DMSc degree)?

As far as the DMSc degree goes, the Lynchburg program seems a little soft to me.  It offers a doctorate in one year, while working full time, and seems to only vaguely describe a set of generic desired student outcomes.  It also isn't an accredited program yet as far as I can tell.    E...you seem to have a vested interest, do you feel this is better than the EVMS curriculum?  I understand that the goals are different, and that DMSc is more of a "clinical" degree, but when I think of a DNP equivalent for PA, this seems like it would be it.  What about LC vs a residency program?  With a residency, you obviously don't get the title afterward, but the gained education and practical clinical experience are substantial (My comparison is based on the Yale/Norwalk surgery program, of which I am a graduate).

All of this to say that I'm very interested in obtaining a doctorate, but I want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck, both with regard to educational value and monetarily.

depends on why you are doing it; a 12-18 month residency will give you more clinically than the shorter clinical exposure of the LC DMSc. The DMSc will give you doctoral preparation for a PA program faculty position.

I will be teaching for LC once the program is up and running. The DHSc is probably more solid prep for a teaching career, the LC DMSc is a fast way to get a doctorate to compete with DNP-prepared NPs or meet the minimum requirement for jobs requiring a doctorate. I would rate the LC DMSc > the DHSc at EVMS based on their curriculum , but below the DHSc at Nova or ATSU in terms of academic rigor.

Archived