Contract question....and I loathe administartion!

Surgical PA one year out, that signed a contract as being a "physician assistant", not a surgical PA. Biggest mistake of my life. I work at a small critical access hospital that has surrounding family/urgent care clinics. The other PA I work with is another surgical PA as well. The current situation is that there are no providers to cover one of the clinics for a week and they want us to cover the clinic for one day each. I know that my contract doesn't state surgery only, but can they force me to cover a clinic? I went to talk with the clinic manager and told him that I did not want to cover the clinic due to their poor planning, and also said "hypothetically what if I said no to covering the clinic", his response was that it wouldn't go over well for me and that I am an employee of the hospital and they can force me to cover the clinic. This is a small thing in a growing list of problems where I work. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

So angry!

They can't force you to do anything. Tell them no you're not doing it.

Talk to a couple of the surgeons and tell them what the morons in admin are asking you to do.

Prepare to be fired. You're a surgical PA, not a UC PA. Go find another surgical PA job. (Unless you WANT to branch into UC....then go for it....but tell them you need an additional $5K a year in CME!)

I am an EM PA. Every once in a while I agree to help a clinic out and do walk-in clinic in addition to ED. I freaking HATE it, but I sometimes I agree to do it. But nobody MAKES me do a damn thing.

Just say no. If they put you on the schedule, email the scheduler, with a CC to everyone in the chain that you know of, telling them that you are a surgical PA and are not prepared to do UC.

And prepare to be fired, which may be the best thing that's happened in your career.

Am I the last team player?  It's one day!  Cover the darn clinic, but make it clear that you won't let this be a routine thing.  Then shut your pie hole and be the best PA you can.  Let them appreciate you, not resent you.

I agree....but only if he wants to.  I've been known to shovel the sidewalks and take out the trash....but I'm not going to be put on the housekeeping schedule.  (not comparing UC providers to housekeepers).

Team player? This isn't a question of stepping up, this is a question of patient safety. A surgical PA with no FP experience shouldn't be called to cover the FP/UC clinic. Imagine the inverse situation.

The poster didn't say he wasn't capable, just that he didn't think he shouldn't have to do it.  I would hope that a good PA trained in primary care could cover a clinic for one day.  I think this is an opportunity to shine, as long as admin doesn't abuse him.

I have to respectfully disagree. This is a do no harm first career. You can be as cowboy as you'd like, but I would hope to god I wouldn't be taking my family member to the urgent care for evaluation by the surgical PA with no prior experience. Walking on the wild side for me.

However, it is all-too-common in UC shops to see a provider who specializes in something else.  I helped out at an EXTREMELY busy UC shop for a few months and the docs there ranged from FP to OB/GYN to Ortho/Sports, to pain management.  It's often a landing place for people who are burned out, or can't seem to get jobs in their specialty anymore.  

Please review your state laws. Does your Primary Supervising Physician have responsibility for seeing that your scope of practice is suitable to your skills and abilities? Has your PSP agreed to this assignment? Has he made arrangements to supervise you while in clinic or arranged an alternate supervising physician while you are in urgent care?

Administrators often have no clue, but an administrator cannot determine your scope of practice (even a PA administrator) nor can an administrator delegate medical responsibilities to you.

If I were you, I might "get sick" on the scheduled clinic day, if I didn't get all of the above satisfactorily resolved.

Basic problem is a political one.

Archived