2016-2017 Application Thread

I was also waitlisted for an interview! Does anyone know how long the wait list is or the chances of getting called for an interview? They did mention in the email that historically they have pulled quite a few people off the list but I didn't know if any current students have any more information or insight. I would love the chance to interview and hope something works out!

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry - no information at all about the length of said list. I do know a few people in my class that came from said list though. It all depends on the nature of the flux in open seats.

I was also waitlisted for an interview! Does anyone know how long the wait list is or the chances of getting called for an interview? They did mention in the email that historically they have pulled quite a few people off the list but I didn't know if any current students have any more information or insight. I would love the chance to interview and hope something works out!

–Tapatalk for iOS–

Also rejected. Could any individuals who applied more than once and are current students or those accepted shed some light on how you improved your application the second (or third) time around? Good luck to all those accepted and waiting on interviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So is there an agreed upon best place to stay the night nearby? I'm looking for as inexpensive as possible.

Also, can anyone speak to travel time from Duke back to the airport? I'm booking my flight for the 24th, the latest flight back to LA is at 643 pm. Is that hopeless to achieve on a friday after the interview?

Hotels in this area are going to cost you btwn $70-$200 a night. The most convenient hotel is the Aloft Hotel by DPAC and the American Tobacco District. It's so close to DPAP that you could walk to your interview in the morning in 10-12 minutes. But it's not the cheapest option. It's usually about $120-$130 a night. The LaQuinta and the Extended Stay Hotels are the cheapest at about $75, and there are two of each. They also have free breakfast. One of each is located about halfway btwn the Airport and Duke in an area known as the Research Triangle Park (RTP). And one of each is also located about halfway btwn Durham and Chapel Hill. So you'd need to take an Über to get from the Hotel to your Interview in either situation. Which would likely cost you about $15-24 each way. When you add tax and Über to the cost of your stay, it would be about the same as staying at the Aloft without the need for any Über. At the same time, if you stayed at one of the RTP Hotels, some of them have free airport shuttles. So you could save yourself that added expense to get to/from the Airport. Or you could also rent a super cheap car for around $25 - if you're over 25.

My personal recommendation: rent a cheap car and book a cheap hotel nearby with their heat map – but do both on Hotwire. I've suggested that option to others; the last time, the interviewee called me after and told me she only spent $78 on hotel and rental car. Total. Not bad. :-)

Cheers,

- DPAP-2018

–Tapatalk for iOS–

As far as hotels... I stayed at the King's Daughter's Inn... it seemed like a splurge, $170....around $200 with tax... but since I was just there one night, I wanted to be as relaxed as possible.  The atmosphere was super comfy and b&b style.  They had free afternoon teas and snacks, free port wine and more snacks..lol at night, and a really big cooked to order breakfast.  It was a good choice or me because it offered a really relaxing environment during such an important, yet rushed trip.  My Uber the next morning was a whopping $3..lol

I remember sitting in the sun patio, drinking amazing tea, while preparing for the interview

It was close enough to walk to campus- I walked there the day before and checked it out- but I opted for Uber the day of the interview because I had my luggage and was in a suit and heels... good luck!!

Dear Jeepy:

Current first year here.

I had the good fortune of interviewing and then being accepted at multiple schools with great reputations. So I had to sit down and figure out where I really wanted to go.

At the end of the day - aside from the phenomenal reputation and the fact that it invented the PA Profession, Duke had the most relaxed interview of any school. It seemed to take itself the least seriously out of all of the schools. Additionally, when I walked into the actual interview portions of the day, it was super clear that they knew my file inside out. They knew everything about me. They were interested in getting to know me as a person. They didn't ask canned interview questions. They were creative, empathetic, wholesome, inspiring.

At one point, I asked one of the faculty members why she came to Duke PA. She said because she felt she had found a place where they taught people to care for patients the way she would want someone to take care of her own family.

Overall, I chose Duke PA because it graduates really great salt of the earth kind of people who also happen to be phenomenally capable and experienced Clinicians.

There was zero doubt in my mind after my Interview Day was over. I had found the school that felt like home.

Hope that helps.

— DPAP-2018

Can any current students, or those who have been accepted and are planning to go to Duke, tell me specifically what it was about Duke that made you choose? Just wondering what it was that stood out to you after visiting compared with other schools. Thanks!

–Tapatalk for iOS–

Archived