2016-2017 Application Cycle

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Timon. I saw your posts in last year's threads and thought they were insightful, especially the one about the schedule. Some questions I have are

1. Anatomy lab - how long is it and do PA students do a full cadaver dissection or are prosected cadavers used?

We use prosected cadavers. Anatomy lab is during your first session (4 months) and I believe is about 4 hours a week, but you'll have open lab times you'll go in for additional study time. I used to go in around 6am to get additional time before classes started (10am during session 1 on most days). During session 3, you'll have an opportunity to perform dissection for the next class coming in.

2. Do PA students take classes with students in other programs?

During session 1 you will, but I believe that may be changing. We took our anatomy with the PTs.

3. Is there a final thesis/master's research project or similar?

No thesis as there are 2 ways for masters programs take to graduate students, a research paper or a summative exam. TUN has s comprehensive 300 question exit exam. I don't know of anyone who has ever failed it.

4. Is there a tutoring service if we need it?

Yes! I was on both ends of this. There is the oasis office which does everything you can imagine to help you get through your studies, especially if you're struggling. You can volunteer to be a tutor and get paid $15hr or you can ask to be tutored (which is free for students). They also have workshops on studying, stress relief and etc.

5. Are there clubs and activities on campus for students to partake in to get involved?

There are clubs and activities.. I mean, you're in Vegas! The school puts out lots of events which can vary from free Cosmic bowling, tickets to the AAA baseball team, up to discount show tickets at the strip (like $20 costs versus $100+). They also have an annual Winter Gala as well as other events throughout the year. Not to mention "the big game" which is an annual basketball game between Touro CA and Touro NV (TUN always wins). They also have intramural sports between programs and a full gym on campus.

6. Are lectures recorded so that we can rewatch/listen later?

Yes! All lectures are recorded and you can watch from home at various speeds. Some professors speak super fast so I'll watch them at 1/2 speed and they'll sound normal versus other speak super slow and I'll watch at 1.5-2x speed to get through it.

7. What is the general feeling of the students - supportive, competitive, keep to themselves, etc.?

Our class was very supportive. We had a Dropbox which we used to share all of our learning aids (study guides, charts, materials from the class a head of us, flash cards, PDF books, etc). We stressed to the class behind us that this is a group effort through individual performance and that there is no curve so there is no point to being competitive.

8. What aspects of TUN's PA program make it special/stand out amongst others?

Attrition rate is amazing.. Everyone graduates from TUN who attends. I think that's a big deal because I'd hate to invest time, money and a future as a PA if a program has a high rate of students who get kicked out for grades and etc. we also have the mobile clinic which has won an award by the PA foundation, several faculty were PANCE writers so you have good examples of what you'll see on the PANCE throughout your time there. You have opportunities to also spend a day with the Las Vegas coroners office and other volunteer opportunities like working at the shade tree treating patients before you get to go on rotations for the real thing.

1. Anatomy lab - how long is it and do PA students do a full cadaver dissection or are prosected cadavers used?

We use prosected cadavers. Anatomy lab is during your first session (4 months) and I believe is about 4 hours a week, but you'll have open lab times you'll go in for additional study time. I used to go in around 6am to get additional time before classes started (10am during session 1 on most days). During session 3, you'll have an opportunity to perform dissection for the next class coming in.

2. Do PA students take classes with students in other programs?

During session 1 you will, but I believe that may be changing. We took our anatomy with the PTs.

3. Is there a final thesis/master's research project or similar?

No thesis as there are 2 ways for masters programs take to graduate students, a research paper or a summative exam. TUN has s comprehensive 300 question exit exam. I don't know of anyone who has ever failed it.

4. Is there a tutoring service if we need it?

Yes! I was on both ends of this. There is the oasis office which does everything you can imagine to help you get through your studies, especially if you're struggling. You can volunteer to be a tutor and get paid $15hr or you can ask to be tutored (which is free for students). They also have workshops on studying, stress relief and etc.

5. Are there clubs and activities on campus for students to partake in to get involved?

There are clubs and activities.. I mean, you're in Vegas! The school puts out lots of events which can vary from free Cosmic bowling, tickets to the AAA baseball team, up to discount show tickets at the strip (like $20 costs versus $100+). They also have an annual Winter Gala as well as other events throughout the year. Not to mention "the big game" which is an annual basketball game between Touro CA and Touro NV (TUN always wins). They also have intramural sports between programs and a full gym on campus.

6. Are lectures recorded so that we can rewatch/listen later?

Yes! All lectures are recorded and you can watch from home at various speeds. Some professors speak super fast so I'll watch them at 1/2 speed and they'll sound normal versus other speak super slow and I'll watch at 1.5-2x speed to get through it.

7. What is the general feeling of the students - supportive, competitive, keep to themselves, etc.?

Our class was very supportive. We had a Dropbox which we used to share all of our learning aids (study guides, charts, materials from the class a head of us, flash cards, PDF books, etc). We stressed to the class behind us that this is a group effort through individual performance and that there is no curve so there is no point to being competitive.

8. What aspects of TUN's PA program make it special/stand out amongst others?

Attrition rate is amazing.. Everyone graduates from TUN who attends. I think that's a big deal because I'd hate to invest time, money and a future as a PA if a program has a high rate of students who get kicked out for grades and etc. we also have the mobile clinic which has won an award by the PA foundation, several faculty were PANCE writers so you have good examples of what you'll see on the PANCE throughout your time there. You have opportunities to also spend a day with the Las Vegas coroners office and other volunteer opportunities like working at the shade tree treating patients before you get to go on rotations for the real thing.

Hey I just interviewed here like a month ago and had a lot of the same questions so I'll share some answers! The anatomy lab is done with the use of prosected cadavers just because there's not enough time to dissect our own, the DO program is the only one that dissects their own cadaver. They said for the most part our classes out on our own, there are some interdisciplinary things but as far as classes go it's pretty separate. I do not believe their is a final thesis for the PA program, just for the MHS degree. There is a tutoring service, it's called the Oasis and it seems to be very helpful! Students can tutor any subject they have a B or better in and get paid $15/ hour through federal work study. There are tons of clubs and activities on campus! At the interview they give you a whole list of all the organizations currently on campus and said if there's something you don't see, feel free to start your own! They also told us about the annual rivalry basketball game between TUN and the Touro in California so that's really fun! From what I remember, the lectures are recorded so you can go back and rewatch them or catch up if you misse class to go out on the mobile clinic. According to the students, the vibe is very laid back and supportive, it's not a cut throat type of program! They all really help each other out. Hopefully that helps some! I was super impressed with this program when I interviewed here last month and am definitely hoping to be accepted!

I also interviewed at TUN in August. The program is AMAZING to say the least. Having an extensive background in working with veterans, women, and children I absolutely fell in love with the fact that they have the mobile clinic. Also Dr. Tobin is such a great guy. I too am hoping to get accepted. Michael Wilson stated we should be hearing some news about mid September so I am getting rather anxious! Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up, just relax and be yourself! 

Is there a writing portion during the interview?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

No there's no writing portion. They should have sent you an agenda. It's pretty accurate, so use it to help get a picture of how's it's going to be so you won't be too nervous l.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the class that just started this July. I know it's hard, but don't hate the waitlist. I was waitlisted along with so many other seriously amazing students in my class. The waitlist is NOT the end of your journey.

They don't have waitlist rankings this year but do you know how many they accept off the waitlist roughly?

They don't have waitlist rankings this year but do you know how many they accept off the waitlist roughly?

I don't know how many they take from the list, but I will say that I can think of at least 6 people offhand that came from the waitlist, and I am sure there are more than that, and then there were others who were taken from the waitlist but declined. It is really early in the game and there will be a lot of switching still before classes start. I know wait list is not what you want to hear. It wasn't what I wanted to hear either. Just know that the wait list will used...probably a lot.

What about movement from people in "limbo" that they didn't deny but haven't offered an interview to yet? Any chances there? And yes I agree the wait list will move, at least from what I've read in previous threads. Touro interviews so early I'm sure people will turn down acceptances as they hear from other schools that may be closer to home, cheaper, ranked higher etc.

What about movement from people in "limbo" that they didn't deny but haven't offered an interview to yet? Any chances there? And yes I agree the wait list will move, at least from what I've read in previous threads. Touro interviews so early I'm sure people will turn down acceptances as they hear from other schools that may be closer to home, cheaper, ranked higher etc.

I'm not sure, but my guess would be that people from that list will get interviewed. But it's just a guess.

I received the email in receipt of my secondary application and my application for under review on August 11 and still have not heard back. This will be my week 6 come Thursday. I think I am one of those in "limbo". Any word from admissions for those who were in this stage (rejection or potential interview candidate)?

I received the email in receipt of my secondary application and my application for under review on August 11 and still have not hear back. This will be my week 6 come Thursday. I think I am one of those in "limbo". Any word from admissions for those who were in this stage (rejection or potential interview candidate)?

I too think I am in limbo...supplemental confirmation 8/31...

Archived