Be completely Honest

I just want the general qualifications of the type of person who gets into PA school. I have researched each school and they give me the general information on what they looking for. I want someone from an emissions committee, a PA, or even any person who has the inside scoop to be completely and brutally honest on the type of person that gets into PA school. Thank you!

The applicant who is willing to stop at nothing to ensure their competitiveness is the one to typically be accepted.

I'm not a female nor am I white and was accepted into a top 25 program. Although, statistics may illustrate that a white female in her mid-twenties are the majority of who has been accepted in recent years, one's gender and complexion will never outshine a competitive applicant. You also have to take into consideration the possibility that more people within that specific group (white, female, mid-twenties) are applying to PA school than any other group thus, increasing their numbers.

Acquire diverse and extensive healthcare experience (2000+ hours), do well academically (3.4+ GPA), draft a compelling personal statement, present strong letters of recommendation (3-5 letters from individuals who can attest to your abilities), rock the interview and you will be accepted.

The general information schools supply = the general qualifications. Those are typically stats of students who have BEEN ACCEPTED, therefore, that's who gets in. Brutally honest.  More HCE, better HCE, higher grades, higher GRE is what schools look for.  Are there exceptions? Sure.  But generally, that's it.  There is no inside scoop and an 'emissions' committee member is not going to tell you anything that isn't common knowledge or could be found by looking at the thread of accepted applicants.

Back to Gator Chomp.  Stellar applicants get accepted pretty much wherever they want to go, or at least to one of their top choices.   That's  30-50%  of the accepted students in great programs and maybe 10-20% in middle of the road or lower programs.  The programs then fill with middle of the road people and reach down possible to 10% especially deserving others depending on their geographic or service mission.     

• Administrator

Don't worry about things you can't change (age, gender, ethnicity).  If you're not a homogenous typical applicant, that can work for you as you will actually have a better chance of standing out.

Worry about things that actually reflect your own choices and effort: GPA, HCE type, HCE quantity.

Archived