Hello everyone! 

I recently heard that PAs are able to do an optional residency after graduating, but I can't seem to find much information on this. How does residency work for a PA? Is it similar to residencies done by med students? Would I need to apply to a PA program that has a residency program after graduation, or would I be able to apply for one somewhere else?

I am curious because if I were to choose the path of a PA (I am currently debating between med school and PA school), I would like to be able to work in neurology or pediatrics and was wondering if doing a residency would help me find me "dream job". 

Thank you in advance!

• Administrator

In order: It varies from residency to residency, but they're typically 12-18 months.  No, it's not particularly similar to med school residencies.  Residencies are independent of specific PA programs, and would typically accept graduates from any program with the appropriate background.

Yes, specific residencies in a particular specialty DO seem to help people get hired into those specialties, especially as new graduates.

It would behoove you to spend some time in the "Residency" section of the PA Forum, as many particulars are discussed.  To add to Rev's post, actually some residencies are kind of like physician residencies- my own ER residency was basically a shortened version of the 4-year emergency medicine physician residency that was at my hospital, and we were treated exactly like physician interns when we started.  

The "Residency" section has a couple blogs about people's experiences in a residency (myself included, which was ages ago), but they're all ER residencies- no one who's gone to another speciality residency has done a blog post about their experience.  Well, actually, someone did a surgery one about the time that I did mine, but they unfortunately didn't keep up with it.

good info above. some residencies are accredited by the association of postgrad pa programs and some are not. not being accredited at this time does not mean the residency is not high quality, just that it has not gone through their evaluation process. see www,appap.org for links to approved programs.

Is it best to avoid unaccredited residencies, in order to learn better and also ensure that all the necessary procedures are surely covered compared to an accredited residency?  

Do employers frown upon candidates seeking job opportunities at their institution if they have done their training at an unaccredited residency?

Many thanks.

Accreditation has been put on hold, so many of the newer, but still reputable residencies will not have accreditation. One will have to research the opportunity and make sure that it is a true residency/fellowship and not a cheap labor source, with some training thrown in, for a hospital or group.

Archived