Family medicine offer for new graduate

Hello all,

I appreciate all the advice for a negotiation.  

The offer is for a full time primary care position in DC. Small private practice: 1 MD, 1 NP, 1PA

- Salary: 95k. No any kind of bonus.

- Monday through Friday. If they want me to work the weekends I can take a day off during the week.

- PTO : 10 days.  CME : 500, no days off.  No sick days.

- Health insurance: 50% just for employee. No dental. No vision.

- Malpractice without tail.

- Paid license and DEA.

- 3 years contract with non-compete within 10 miles.

Thanks in advance

• Administrator

I can't help but feel insulted for folks that get those $500 CME offers.  It's not as if the doc or practice manager don't know how much it costs to attend a conference, get an uptodate subscription, etc.  

More to the point, it hurts you financially to get $1000 more in salary and $1000 less in CME.  That $1k is not taxed when it's a business reimbursement.  If you have to deduct business expenses afterwards, the record keeping is on you, and you will already need to have itemized deductions.  It's like buying something at $199.99--a cheap maneuver to make financially ignorant people round down mentally rather than up.  Anytime you see something like that, you know the person setting the financial policies thinks you're stupid.

attendance at an out of town conference for 5 days with airfare, hotel, etc generally runs 1500 bucks....also 50% of health and no dental/vision? deal breaker for me. personally I would never consider a position that was not 100% medical/dental/vision for me and family + full bennies including a min cme of 1500 ( I get 2k now). also cost of living in DC is very high and if you commute into the city you will spend your life in transit...

Thank you all of you for value inputs

Here is their reply: 

Changed:

Increases salary to 96k (1k more) but increases office time : 8.30 am to 6pm 

50% for dental, vision insurance

2 years contract (instead 3)

Will consider tail if I give them the rates.

401 After 1 year

No change: still 10 days PTO, CME still 500 without time off, still no sick days. Health insurance still 50%. No any insurance for family. 

Any thoughts?

The increase in pay is lame, if they are asking you to work one more hour a day times 5 days a week, I'm guessing your hourly would actually go down if calculated out.

By a large margin. At this point I would be straight and tell them exactly this and more or less that you were offended and felt they were being manipulative and unreasonable.also goodbye

I disagree. I think they should walk away from the offer and tell them precisely why

You may be right. But what if the OP likes the employer and would like to work there under the right circumstances. And what If the employer likes the candidate but is trying to stay within certain arbitrary guidelines? I guess my take on it would be to clearly state what is an acceptable offer that the candidate would, in fact, be happy to accept. I prefer to leave emotional responses and feelings out of job negotiations. But I agree that if the candidate's counter offer is rejected, they walk away. I just don't see the economy of saying you are "offended ." To me, the art of negotiation is to keep the conversation positive and to keep moving towards your goal. The employer may respect that and give in. If not, your position is clear and you can bow out. Perhaps you have a good reason for telling the employer you are owned. Can you explain that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You may be right. But what if the OP likes the employer and would like to work there under the right circumstances. And what If the employer likes the candidate but is trying to stay within certain arbitrary guidelines? I guess my take on it would be to clearly state what is an acceptable offer that the candidate would, in fact, be happy to accept. I prefer to leave emotional responses and feelings out of job negotiations. But I agree that if the candidate's counter offer is rejected, they walk away. I just don't see the economy of saying you are "offended ." To me, the art of negotiation is to keep the conversation positive and to keep moving towards your goal. The employer may respect that and give in. If not, your position is clear and you can bow out. Perhaps you have a good reason for telling the employer you are owned. Can you explain that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There are absolutely civil ways to convey what a garbage offer this is without offending them. I wasn't offering a verbatim conversation to be had. But clearly these people need to get insight to their poor and seemingly at this point offensive offer!

Archived