Family medicine offer for new graduate

Sometimes people take a little less than others would in order to have a job they really want... I understand this. However, no matter how much I love a job, 10 days off over the course of a year is simply not enough. You will be burnt out and it is unlikely you will make it to the end of your contract without misery.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Do most people get paid time off for CME days? This is coming up in an offer I'm considering as well. I'm a new grad and always assumed CMEs were part of the workday and it would be covered. Am I greedy by asking that these days are paid, I also would work only 4 ten hour shifts q wk. However, I'm

Still working a full week and don't feel that my "day off" should be a work day.

CMEs are required continuing education to maintain your certification so those days should be paid time off. Don't be surprised, however, if a prospective employer expects you to take a vacation day. You shouldn't hesitate to ask for that to be paid time off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you are working 4 ten hour shifts and then do CME on the fifth day, it is unlikely it would be paid because that would be going over a 40 hour work week. The way it works is that you are budgeted for 40 hours... so you have to take a day off from your normal work schedule and ask for a CME day, which should be paid time off. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I am back with 2 new offers. Any imput is highly appreciated. 

Option 1: Family practice with a big group doctors (about 10) in So Cal, 30m from Los 

-Starting at $40.5 a hour. Minimum 8 h/ day. Can work up to 12 h/ day if wanted, Sarturday from 8-12, 1 time for 5 weeks. Annually bonus depends on the evaluation. Annually rate increases 3%

- PTO: 20 days (vacation, sick days, CME),  27 days after 3 years, 35 days after 8 years. 

- 7 paid holidays

- CME stipend: 1000

- Full health insurance for me only after 90 days. Life insurance after 90 days. 

- Malpractice insurance with tail paid.

- No pay for licence and DEA

- 401 k after 1 year with 3% match.

Option 2: hospitalist in a teaching hospital in a state with COL 93:

- Salary: 80k at starting, bonus 15k if commit 3 years. 7 on 7 off.

- Full benefits: health, vision, dental: self and family. 

-CME: 1500

-Malpractice with tail

- Paid DEA

- 401: 6%, after 5 years: 8 %

- Accident insurance

- Life insurance.

Guest Paula

I live midwest -  the PA/NP jobs in FP/IM have the following offer in my system: $100,968 for 2 year guaranteed salary, 4 weeks first year for PTO which includes sick, CME days, and vacation.  $3,000 CME which includes payment for dues , BUT license payment and DEA is paid for by the organization and not included in CME.  Liability and tail is covered.  Dental, health insurance and vision plans have 75% premiums paid for by the organization and you can pick from 2 plans (HSA or non-HSA).    Second year the PTO is 8 weeks.  Plus a few extra bonuses for high patient satisfaction scores, meeting quality measures, etc. (altho I haven't seen any bonuses and am pretty sure I will be told it's because I'm "on salary")

But, once you are out of the 2 year guarantee then the salary is production based with the minimum dependent on what your previous years average salary was.  The downside is new graduates and experienced  PAs/NPs all start out the same.  No negotiation allowed for experience.  Corporate controls the ability to negotiate.  

And.... corporate is evolving plans to transition to Value based reimbursement only and I don't know where that will lead us salary wise.  

Read any contract carefully as the corporation can (and will) change the contract at any time for any reason in spite of the signed  contract.  Look for the details.

BTW:  I think both offers lovemedicine posted are horrible for salary.  Really???? $40.5 an hour is horrible especially for the COL in California. 

@lovemedicine - while that's true, you're still putting in the same amount of hours as someone working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for the whole year. They get PTO, why shouldn't you? A classmate who got a hospitalist position is in the same boat as you in Florida, a classmate who got a hospitalist position in Texas does have PTO. The problem is that if you want to take a 2 week vacation to Europe, you have to work 3 weeks straight to be able to do so. Make sure to check Craigslist too, I've seen good paying FM jobs there.

@Paula - unfortunately SoCal and other areas of the country which have high COL are saturated since so many people want to live here. I started as a new grad recently and got a decent job working in ortho. I'm working about 45 hours a week for $95k salary which is decent for a new grad. Decent benefits (not great) plus a 10% AR bonus.

@Abethebabe : Just rechecked, yes, there is 18 days PTO for offer 2. And you are right, most of desired areas are saturated that why the pay is not so nice. 

@ Paula: Thank you for all inputs. I got some interviews in California which offer a bit higher rate but the area is not very safe especially for kids, so I turned off. But I agree that both offers are not very solid. I am still looking around. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

After sending a nice email which included AAPA salary report, the job from SoCal  increased hourly salary to 46.5 with full benefits. Yay ! I may work 45h/week to compense for high cost of living there if I accept the offer. 

I am still debating as hospitalist offers better training which is very important for new graduates and it is located in a much lower cost of living area. 

Any more inputs guy ? Should I accept either of them or should I keep hunting?  

I thank you all for great inputs. This forum is awesome. 

That SoCal offer with the increase in pay looks nice.  You are right that a hospital can be a great place to learn, but not always - even as a teaching hospital.  Plus there are other challenges with that as you will have endless interns and residents who may fight you for responsibilities.  So bottom line, just because it's a teaching hospital doesn't automatically make it perfect.

Your SoCal offer is somewhat similar to an offer that I received.  Yours looks to have higher pay, but that's the difference between Mi and Ca cost of living.  One thing to look into is a productivity bonus.  If you become a very efficient provider can you begin receiving part of the billing?  In the practice I'm hoping to join I will start at $80,000, but have the opportunity to earn an extra $2,000/month if I work hard and efficiently.  You also need to confirm that you $46.5 x 1.5 if you work more than 40 hours per week, and can they tell you to go home so you stop getting so much overtime?  Because if you end up not being able to get overtime and no productivity bonus then our salaries could become very close to each others, and my cost of living in Mi will be WAY less than yours in Ca.

Last thing, I don't know exactly what you mean by full benefits, but I would fight for those licenses and DEA costs AND TUITION REIMBURSEMENT!!!  That tuition reimbursement can really change your quality of life coming out of school.  I'm in the process of negotiating for it right now.

Just some things to think about, but I think it's a pretty decent offer.

Archived