Too Young for PA School?

Ok, not sure if this question has already been addressed:

Do practices hesitate to hire young graduate PAs? Several programs are still bachelor's programs, but now that many are becoming masters programs the age of graduates is on the rise. If I get it this cycle, I will be 25 when I FINISH. I have heard of many younger grads, but is it more difficult to find a job after graduation if all your classmates are more "mature" ;)

I have seen many immature 30 year olds, and mature 18 year olds in my day. It really depends on how you can handle things, some of them serious, some of them life or death. Just today I had to tell a 35 year old female trying to have children that she has a bone tumor in her ankle, and that If chemo is needed, it could possibly make her sterile.

How could she have possibly become a PA at 19...

graduated high school at 17 having completed 2 yrs of community college during high school and summers including all prereqs.

volunteered as a candy stripper for 2 yrs for hce. started pa school a month after graduating from high school. done 2 yrs later at 19.

Maybe she was one of those brilliant young kids who went into college at 16, graduated in two years, etc. It's been known to happen; John ForbesNash, started on his PhD when he was 20, wrote his doctoral dissertation at 21....and so on.

I graduated from the university of california with a 12 yr old.

Your age doesn't really matter as long as you work hard and complete the program. I finished my PA program when I had just turned 24 and started working in critical care. Sure it surprises a lot of people when they learn my age but by then they've already come to respect me and the job I'm doing. Good luck to you!

• Administrator
Your age doesn't really matter as long as you work hard and complete the program.

Yeah, keep thinking that to yourself while you're telling people their loved ones are dying (or dead), and you have neither the empathy to communicate effectively, nor the self awareness to know that you lack the life experience to help people deal well with death and dying. Keep telling yourself that when the older patient looks like he has something else to tell you, but doesn't.

Anyone who thinks young clinicians (not just PA's--NPs, MDs, DOs are included here) can deal with the real-world practice of medicine as effectively as older clinicians with more life experience misunderstands the actual needs of patients.

That's one of the original value propositions of PA's, which has been sadly neglected as of late: by taking people with real-life experience (and not just "HCE" earned in high school) and molding them into clinicians, the process by which interns and residents actually "grow up" during their training can be substantially abbreviated.

Of course, this post will likely raise the ire of self-righteous younger PAs, students, and wannabes, protesting my "discrimination", or arguing that particular young people are more mature individuals than particular older individuals, but that's OK.

Even though I will be 26 assuming I get in this cycle, I actually have to agree with rev ronnin. As a PCT giving orders (not medical but say talking someone on orthopedics through allowing me to help them to the bathroom, or relaying something to someone in ER from the nurse, etc) and instructions and advice to people in theirs 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s, dealing with the age gap has been somewhat of a challenge to me. I definitely have become more comfortable being a PCT for people significantly older than me but there still are times when it can be a bit awkward for the both of us. So I can only imagine how it will be as a PA.

And this is strictly coming from my end. I know for certain their will be patients I will encounter as a PA who will doubt or even challenge my authority based on my age. Not to mention colleagues who won't give me due respect because they have a kid my age or older. Lucky for me I do look significantly older than I actually am especially with a beard. But still, I have, for example, tried to give advice to adult patients and basically been told I don't have the first clue about life. On the flip side it is particularly easy for me to relate to a younger group of patients who sometimes aren't as comfortable with older staff.

Of course it is not really a black and white argument. As pointed out, maturity is often not correlated with age. I have met people younger than me who are appallingly mature, as well as people twice my age who behave worse than most teenagers.

Being a young practitioner is a challenge but it's one you ultimately have to face, like any other. And of course when you are in your 30s, 40s, 50s etc, you will have a significant amount of experience over those practitioners who started later in life. Also, as pointed out, I think the mean age for a PA is something around 26-27. Anyways, the bottom line is you aren't alone in your thoughts, but it is just a hurdle you must face and overcome.

winterallsummer, you said in another thread you've been invited to an interview if I recall correctly. You going to keep the beard for the interview? I'm sorta debating the fate of my own beard. My fiance said I should consider hacking it off just for the interview in case I get someone who finds it offensive / unprofessional (as if they are regarded as a tattoo or something... yeesh). People say my beard makes me look much more mature and professional. I'm leaning towards keeping it. What say ye, fellow beardie?

PS - sorry for the momentary thread hijacking...

I was 23 when I started working as a PA. I think experience matters regardless. I am working in a large teaching hospital in the ED with a good scope of practice. I probably have more experience with sicker patients than a more "experienced" PA who graduated and has worked in a fast track area for 10 years. Experience is relative. Thus why I decided to work where I am at now and treat my first several years as a residency of sorts.

"Yeah, keep thinking that to yourself while you're telling people their loved ones are dying (or dead), and you have neither the empathy to communicate effectively, nor the self awareness to know that you lack the life experience to help people deal well with death and dying. Keep telling yourself that when the older patient looks like he has something else to tell you, but doesn't." Quote from Rev Ronin

Absolutely the truth Rev. There is absolutely no substitute for life experience. Some of the worst doctors I have ever seen were absolutely BRILLIANT academically, completed their residencies by the age of 30, but had absolutely NO idea what life was really about yet. Watching them try and really connect and empathize with what their patients were dealing with was (and is still) often very painful to watch. There is no amount of coursework that can supplant the formative (sometimes traumatic) experiences one has over time. That being said, I know 20 year old combat vets that have more maturity and life experience in their pinky than some 50 year olds I know. Somehow, I think the 19 year old PA that EMEDPA mentioned doesn't fall into that category.

Yeah, keep thinking that to yourself while you're telling people their loved ones are dying (or dead), and you have neither the empathy to communicate effectively, nor the self awareness to know that you lack the life experience to help people deal well with death and dying. Keep telling yourself that when the older patient looks like he has something else to tell you, but doesn't.

Anyone who thinks young clinicians (not just PA's--NPs, MDs, DOs are included here) can deal with the real-world practice of medicine as effectively as older clinicians with more life experience misunderstands the actual needs of patients.

That's one of the original value propositions of PA's, which has been sadly neglected as of late: by taking people with real-life experience (and not just "HCE" earned in high school) and molding them into clinicians, the process by which interns and residents actually "grow up" during their training can be substantially abbreviated.

Of course, this post will likely raise the ire of self-righteous younger PAs, students, and wannabes, protesting my "discrimination", or arguing that particular young people are more mature individuals than particular older individuals, but that's OK.

You could say the same thing about older PA's not being able to connect with younger patients, the 18-30 years olds. I think there will always be some kind of gap somewhere, almost seems unavoidable, but you just have to do the best you can to relate.

Actually I have told families that their loved one is dying, and I had no problem being empathetic and communicating with them effectively. Just because I am young doesn't mean I don't have experience with death and dying. I've seen plenty of docs twice my age not know how to handle a situation like that. Absolutely the more experience one has, the easier it might be. But I personally think the ability to handle something like that and be empathetic has WAY more to do with who you are as a person.

I will agree experience is important. I got my experience through high school and college. But I disagree with you about it not being "real-life" experience if it was gained in high school or college. Sure being a candy stripper is not real medical experience, but there are plenty of ways to gain HCE in high school and college that is very much "real-life". I am very much a proponent of PA students having prior medical experience, believe me. But the OP's question was whether or not she is too young for PA school. That answer is no. Not knowing anything else about the OP I can't judge her on whatever experience she may or may not have.

aliclark - If you want to be a PA, go for it and work hard. Good luck to you whatever you decide!

Firstly thanks for the encouragement from those who realize young people aren't always "young". I have been an EMT since I was 16, and have been a paramedic with my 40+ year old colleagues for several years now. I do the same job they do, with the same skill and same empathy and patient compassion, and perhaps more flexibility as all of them. I am sorry, rev ronin, that it seems you have had some horrible run ins with inexperienced, immature providers that gave you a bad taste in your mouth. I am 23 years old, and have been personally responsible for the immediate care of more dying or dead people than I can count - from neonates and infants, to toddlers, to teens, adults, and elderly. I wasn't on the sideline as a candy-striper watching it happen, it was completely my responsibility (and a hefty one for a young me - I'll admit). But, it isn't fair to generalize that someone with that experience isn't qualified under the "life experience" section of your checklist - regardless of age. Obviously age matters, or I wouldn't have posed the question. Some providers hesitate (and I have overcome this in several instances) because of the same feelings you share here - so this was another perspective I wanted to know was out there. Thank you. I agree that as a general rule this may be true, I certainly think twice about putting my life in the hands of those 25 year old first year ER residents, but I certainly hope someone proves you wrong :o) Thanks for the input, always valued!

Archived