Failed PANRE miserably

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took the exam last summer and got a 200. They told me this and that and then 3-4 months later they said they made a mistake but I still failed by a point. Still trying to pass, I get close but it is very frustrating these exams are not fun for me

Just curious, did you have any problems in PA school? Or is there something specifically about this exam?

Wow, i have not been to this site in a while. I cannot believe this thread is still around!! I have not and do not intend to recert anytime soon. The -C does not mean anything or gain me any advantage in my current and long term position so why worry about it.

I was checking the site today to see if there were any responses to an email that went out about a major shake up in the BOD at NCCPA.

I read your post about your friend retaking the Panre and getting his certification back. I am in a similar boat. I practiced 12 years in pediatrics and stopped for awhile due to a family crises. Mom living two hours away with ovarian cancer and me with 2 small kids. I had to choose family over career for a few years. i am kicking myself because at the time I did not realize all I had to do was report this to the Texas Board and they would put a hold on my license and certification. I've kept up with medicine by reading my journals and talking to colleagues. My children are very independent now and my mom has passed away. I need to take the Pance vs the Panre but I am scared to death I will not pass. Is your friend just super bright or did he study certain material to help him pass. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Kicking myself for making this harder than it had to be........

Ok Passed it. Got results today. It was tougher then the last time I took it 6 years ago mostly from long multi-paragraph clinical questions. I've never had much issue with time on tests like this, but I must say this was the first time I was pushing to finish each module. Over all the information was about the same but the structure of the questions made it more difficult. Still, I did fine. I got the UMDNJ course and went through most of it. I honestly don't think you need much more then that course to pass. Plus the cat 1 cme you get from the course makes it a good deal for $300. Good luck all....see you in another 6 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
what happens if you fail the PANRE and it was your 6th year and your Certificate expires at the end of 2012. Does any body know if PA's can continue to work or what. thankyou guys

Depends on your state and your employer. Most states, you cannot continue to work. What's more, is most employers require it in order to work. Additionally, and I don't know the answer to this, but perhaps others on here do, I would think that there are billing implications. I'm not sure that a PA who has lost the "C" can continue to bill for patient services....but I could be wrong on that.

I am an ER PA with 16 years experience in Emergency Medicine, 1 year experience in Dermatology, and 1 year as a Clinical Coordinator in a PA program where I taught Introduction to EKG as well as doing the lecture for the Dermatology Section in a Board Review Course for George Washington University. I studied for my PANRE last month by going through 800 questions from 5 tests that were from a recent Board Review Course and taking meticulous notes and memorizing all the crazy things I thought they may ask me in the PANRE. My experience with PANRE last week was that because of the review I had done with the 800 questions I was able to answer about 10 questions I probably would not have gotten if I had not studied. I felt like there were about 20 questions that I knew and felt pretty confident about. There were maybe 10 questions that I had boiled down to 2 answers. The remaining 200 questions were so bizarre and out of left field that I was wildly guessing on them with no clue what the answer was.

I walked out of that test so angry and frustrated. Who are the crazy people that make up these test questions? Why do we put up with this? Can I start a movement here to get this changed? It is INSANE!!!

By the way this has been my experience with these tests ever since I took the original one and have recertified . Crazy questions, impossible to study for, out of left field, not related to what I know and use in my day to day practice or would ever want to know. Just learned today that I passed but I have no idea how and I still despise this whole demeaning process.

Gizzy, which version of the test did you take? I took the PANRE adult medicine exam last month and was just as angry, defeated and frustrated as you were. I've specialized in derm since graduation and really felt I was at a disadvantage going in. There were a good number of questions I knew the answer to right off the bat and a good number I could narrow down too. But there were so many 'I have no idea' questions that it threw my confidence off. I think the NCCPA does that intentionally and I know quite a few of those are thrown out. But if we could do without this general test q6 or q10 years, I would be a happy camper. I know many people support the general exam because we 'practice medicine' in their words but so does my SP and she isn't tested on heart murmurs, psychiatric disturbances, and GI motility disorders every 10 years!

It was the PANRE adult medicine exam. I am not exaggerating when I say that 200 out of 240 were questions about conditions, treatments, symptoms I had never heard of or pharmacological side effects any normal person would never memorize. If I started a petition could we get some signatures and have an impact on the people at NCCPA who are engineering this nightmare? My opthamologist told me last month that when he gets reboarded he just has to go through a series of questions and even though it is time consuming, he knows what the questions on his exam are going to be. I believe the process of studying for PANRE should be something reasonable relating to the common conditions that PAs see in Emergency Rooms and Family Practice throughout their year. It is impossible to study for this exam with the questions that are on there now.

It was the PANRE adult medicine exam. I am not exaggerating when I say that 200 out of 240 were questions about conditions, treatments, symptoms I had never heard of or pharmacological side effects any normal person would never memorize. If I started a petition could we get some signatures and have an impact on the people at NCCPA who are engineering this nightmare? My opthamologist told me last month that when he gets reboarded he just has to go through a series of questions and even though it is time consuming, he knows what the questions on his exam are going to be. I believe the process of studying for PANRE should be something reasonable relating to the common conditions that PAs see in Emergency Rooms and Family Practice throughout their year. It is impossible to study for this exam with the questions that are on there now.

I can say that the PANRE I took this year seemed a bit diconnected and I actually sat there and boneheaded more than a few questions. This was my fourth PANRE and I don't recall having a similar perception with the previous exams. I don't have answer but I do understand your concerns.

I can say that the PANRE I took this year seemed a bit diconnected and I actually sat there and boneheaded more than a few questions. This was my fourth PANRE and I don't recall having a similar perception with the previous exams. I don't have answer but I do understand your concerns.

Agreed with this. I scored better than I ever have before, and it seemed that so many of them were softball questions...but then there were a few that it was like WTF???

I looked one up when I got home and it was on an extremely rare condition that I had never even heard of.

I dunno....I'm hoping it's the last PANRE I ever have to take, but we'll see.

Agreed with this. I scored better than I ever have before, and it seemed that so many of them were softball questions...but then there were a few that it was like WTF???

I looked one up when I got home and it was on an extremely rare condition that I had never even heard of.

I dunno....I'm hoping it's the last PANRE I ever have to take, but we'll see.

I'll be 66 years old when the PANRE I just completed expires...........hopefully I'll be out of you younglings hair and sitting somewhere along the Overseas Highway drinking something cold when not snoozing in the sun on the beach!This reaffirms that it's rare for me to not learn something new on a regular basis in this job.

I'll be 66 years old when the PANRE I just completed expires...........hopefully I'll be out of you younglings hair and sitting somewhere along the Overseas Highway drinking something cold when not snoozing in the sun on the beach!This reaffirms that it's rare for me to not learn something new on a regular basis in this job.

I'm just hoping to be out of clinical practice and in research full time, but even then...I'll likely still take the PANRE and moonlight somewhere just to keep my clinical skills and certification.....It would be nice to not HAVE to take it though if I didn't need to. Of course, I'm a junior investigator, and grant funding is becoming more and more scarce with time.......Sigh....

Over 37000 people have viewed this post -- what if we had thousands of PAs on a petition to bring back the take home exam and make PANRE more reasonable???

It would be an exercise in frustration. NCCPA doesn't ans. to PAs and our advocate organization has refused to take a stand. You just have to take a look at how NCCPA handled the scoring debacle in 2011. YMMV

Archived