Switching Specialties

Have you switched specialties during your career?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Have you switched specialties during your career?

• No, never.
    • Yes, within my first 2 years as a PA.
    • Yes, after my first 2 years as a PA.

Have you made a major switch in specialties during your career?

What was the switch?

Was it early or late in your career?

Curious how many of you have done it, how drastic then switch was and what impact it had.

(I'm just asking out of curiosity, I still have no plans to leave the dark side Lesh).....

I am very curious to see the responses to this post... I have been an ortho PA for 4 years and think often of switching to IM or EM. I am terrified, having not done anything but ortho since school. I'm thinking about switching after I take the PANRE next year, I think reviewing all the medicine will give me a bit more confidence. Any insight?

Chronological Order:

Internal Medicine 4 yrs

Navy Aircraft Carrier (Did Everything Under the Sun) 2 yrs

Family Practice 4 yrs

Emergency Medicine/Urgent Care 3+ yrs

Infectious Disease 2 yrs (Moonlighting)

For me, it takes around 8-12 months to fully adjust to a new specialty, but I enjoy the variety

My first 3 years as a PA were quite the adventure:

Graduated

Inpt Detox at a major rural tertiary hospital--3 months

Family Practice/Walk-in center/SNF/inpt Detox-Rehab (all in same building)-- 9mos

Family Practice-1yr

ER--2yrs

Trauma/SCC--ever since............................

For me, I think the most important impact was once I started working in the ER, I recoginized how much of a "knack" I had for it, a feeling I never had in FP.

However, entering Trauma/SCC I felt like I finally had "hit my groove" so to speak. Everything just "clicked" and I KNEW I had found my permanent home.

I really an not manic but this might appear that way....

2002 Grad

3 months in ER right after grad (put me on overnights and I broke)

5 years in a walk in clinic (occ health, internal med, DOT pe, primary care, urgent care)

2 year of Per diem Rehab medicine (1 year when finishing the 5 year job and one year when starting IR - only one weekend per month)

2 years of interventional radiology

now in pain management.......

Oh yeah and just started doing Ortho work per diem on weekends.....

So since 2002 - 2 different field, Medicine, Radiology, Pain management.

#2 Per Diem positions - Rehab Physiatry, and Ortho

Was in the ER admitting a patient and got talking to an ER doc about this and he was impressed - stated it is good to get wide based experience - it all helps....

I did stay in the medicine job for over 5 years though and that helped alot.

I am now sort of searching for a doc that I can work with for a career - one that understands and backs me up with close to independent practice...

I am very curious to see the responses to this post... I have been an ortho PA for 4 years and think often of switching to IM or EM. I am terrified, having not done anything but ortho since school. I'm thinking about switching after I take the PANRE next year, I think reviewing all the medicine will give me a bit more confidence. Any insight?

Yep.

I was in chronological order:

Neurosurgery- 1.5 years

Orthopedics- 6 years

EM- 7 years, although I started moonlighting in EM while I was still in Ortho, so there is a several year overlap there.

You are an inspiration. Isn't this one of the perks of being a PA? The ability to switch to different areas of medicine.

Chronological Order:

Internal Medicine 4 yrs

Family Practice 4 yrs

For me, it takes around 8-12 months to fully adjust to a new specialty, but I enjoy the variety

Chronological Order:

Internal Medicine 4 yrs

Family Practice 4 yrs

What does one actually do when working in Infectious Disease?

What does one actually do when working in Infectious Disease?

I work in a 70-bed hospital for mostly tracheostomy patients. People who have gone into respiratory failure and need to be on a vent, usually permanantely. ~80% of the time, most will never come off that vent.

There are two main doctors who share in taking care of all the patients there. One is a Pulmonologist and the other is an Internal Med doc.

Then they in turn consult us, Infectious Disease, for the patients who have infection/antibiotic issues. Things like high fevers, white counts in the 20's, 30's, and 40 thousands, positive blood/urine/sputum cultures, positive C. difficile diarrhea infections, decubitus ulcerations, many which are stage IV, some HIV, TB, hepatitis, etc. etc. etc.

We are in charge of and take care of that portion of their health. The ID doctor I work for is pretty much an intellectual genius and a walking medical dictionary when it comes to diseases, infections, and antibiotics.

She is Romanian, has a very nice personality, extremely smart, and treats everyone good, whether you are a fellow doctor or a bum off the street. I definitely feel priviledged to be working for her.

It is amazing how many wild and crazy germs are running around in a hospital setting. Things you don't even read about in school. Almost all of the infections these patients have they got while in the hospital. So siffuce it to say, we stay pretty busy.

I work in a 70-bed hospital for mostly tracheostomy patients. People who have gone into respiratory failure and need to be on a vent, usually permanantely. ~80% of the time, most will never come off that vent.

There are two main doctors who share in taking care of all the patients there. One is a Pulmonologist and the other is an Internal Med doc.

Then they in turn consult us, Infectious Disease, for the patients who have infection/antibiotic issues. Things like high fevers, white counts in the 20's, 30's, and 40 thousands, positive blood/urine/sputum cultures, positive C. difficile diarrhea infections, decubitus ulcerations, many which are stage IV, some HIV, TB, hepatitis, etc. etc. etc.

We are in charge of and take care of that portion of their health. The ID doctor I work for is pretty much an intellectual genius and a walking medical dictionary when it comes to diseases, infections, and antibiotics.

She is Romanian, has a very nice personality, extremely smart, and treats everyone good, whether you are a fellow doctor or a bum off the street. I definitely feel priviledged to be working for her.

It is amazing how many wild and crazy germs are running around in a hospital setting. Things you don't even read about in school. Almost all of the infections these patients have they got while in the hospital. So siffuce it to say, we stay pretty busy.

It sounds like you work for a kindler, gentler, female Dr. House.

• 2 weeks later...

Out in this month's JAAPA:

Do PAs change specialties during their careers?

Quotations are from several different studies:

"The data indicate that approximately half of all PAs are newly certified in the past 5 years, recently certifying PAs are choosing specialty areas at a higher rate, and that most PAs will work in two or more specialty areas during their career. "

"Fifty-seven percent of respondents reported changing specialties at least once, and 49% changed specialties within their first 2 years of practice. "

Interesting that the move of PAs from PC to specialties mirrors the numbers for docs. This reports ~65% of PAs in specialties, which accords with the numbers for MDs, 70% spec, 30% PC....

How did you start out with Gastro. and liver disease? Did you enjoy the work and why did you switch?

It was the first job I had and I actually found it on the job postings at my school just before graduating.

It was the first time the Dr. utilized a PA and it was a great experience for both of us. I enjoyed the work in GI, very interesting cases.

I learned a lot and coming right out of school I wanted a position where I could retain most of those basic skills I had learned. After 3 years I just needed a change. I always wanted to work in Dermatology so I made the switch.

• 1 year later...

gen surg (learned a TON; nights/weekends) -> UC (hated it) -> ED (hated it) -> ortho (hated it) -> bariatric surg (loved it).

now on a "leave" and considering next move: on with bariatric, or try something new? lateral movement (as opposed to upward mobility) is one of the best parts of being a PA, and as was said above, docs love it if you have breadth of experience. they'll ask you how to do stuff that you've done and is outside their scope of experience, and that feels good! :)

gen surg (learned a TON; nights/weekends) -> UC (hated it) -> ED (hated it) -> ortho (hated it) -> bariatric surg (loved it).

now on a "leave" and considering next move: on with bariatric, or try something new? lateral movement (as opposed to upward mobility) is one of the best parts of being a PA, and as was said above, docs love it if you have breadth of experience. they'll ask you how to do stuff that you've done and is outside their scope of experience, and that feels good! :)

You could give a one-woman PANRE review...

Archived