PAs asking to see MD Only?

Has this every happened to you?  It does occasionally to me, where a PA sends a referral to our clinic and ask that the patient not see a PA but MD only. The referring MDs almost never ask for this.  Does anyone sense a mixed message here besides me?  Can you imagine a woman atuo mechanic making the recomendation that you only see a male auto machanic?  I don't think so.

Maybe they figure that if they don't know what to do, you won't either. When that happens, I would call the referring PA and ask why they only want their patient to see an MD. Maybe it was a patient request, in which case it seems strange that the patient would be seeing the referring PA to start with. Just seems like they don't think you know any more than they do. Perhaps you could school them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've never had anyone send in a request to see the physician only, but I have had patients tell me they want to see the MD when I walk into the room and identify myself. This is rare, however. I wouldn't take it personally. Ultimately it's the patient's choice. I usually just say, "no problem" and get the physician (if available.) I don't spend any time trying to convince the patient that we are qualified to take care of them.

I had that happen a few times in a specialty but not many.

My ortho patients really liked me and it made the surgeon mad because they would often ask if they could have their next appt with me instead of him. Oops. Guess I have a personality and actually explain things clearly. It did not make our relationship any less awkward than it already was. 

The office staff is very clear about who the appointment is with. I had one guy throw a fit when he found out I was "only" a PA. I told him he could reschedule with the surgeon and the next available appt was 3 months out for a new patient - he was so rude - I told him all that politely and then left the room telling him to decide how he wanted to proceed and go see our receptionist. 

Some of my new intake ortho patients were docs from other specialties who had bad habits like trail biking and mountain climbing and they were always pleasant and very open to explanation as ortho was not their niche and they were in pain and couldn't work 100% with their current injury. It usually worked out well. 

I try to give patients an explanation - no song and dance - just remind them that they took time out of their day to work on a problem and they were in the office and I was in the office and we had some time together - would they like to work on their issue….. worked most times.

Education, education, exposure, exposure, professional promotion, professional promotion…… PAs need a LOT of professional promotion that we aren't getting.

• Administrator

wouldn't you love to see the opposite? " I'm sorry Dr. martin, I'm really here to see PA John Doe"

One of my patients did that this morning!

Patient: "I'm here to see PA ..."

Reception: "I'm sorry, but it looks like you're actually scheduled with Dr. SP"

Patient: "Oh.  I actually wanted to see PA ..."

Was a ray of light in an otherwise challenging Monday.

• 3 weeks later...

I get more positive interactions surrounding being a PA than negative ones. I had one narcissist who had thrown a giant tantrum about having to check in and then spent his appointment telling me how he hated "you people" (people in medicine, not pas). Afterward he called and say he didnt want to see that "fake doctor" again. The pt was well know to the practice for his terrible behaviors and I was not sad in the slightest, though my MAs and SP start razing me caliing me fake doctor. I told my md/phd SP that the pt deserved a "real double doctor", namely her. Alaska and north carolina (the two places i have been as a student and practicing, have had very supportive populations.

Archived