Does this make me look bad to future employers?

Hello all, 

I am a new graduate that just took my PANCE 1 week ago. I have been hoping to land an ED job but it has been hard to land many interviews without a few years experience. Prior to graduation I signed a contract in urgent care that was less then ideal. I basically signed as a "fall back" offer because I had not been hearing back from many different jobs and that I had heard that urgent care was the next best thing to get experience in order to get into an ED. The contract that I signed does not have good benefits and has a few things I have taken issue with but I figured it is better to have a job then not. Well now that I have graduated I have had multiple different ED positions contact me for interviews. I am in the position right now barring a complete low ball offer I would likely take any of the ED positions over my urgent care position if I am offered one. I have not gotten the results of my PANCE yet or started training/getting paid for the urgent care position that I signed for. If I am offered a ED job and I resign from the urgent care position prior to starting, does this make me look bad to future employers? Thanks for any input. 

if you SIGNED a contract..... well then it is your name and honor at stake.....

you sign it, you own it

sorry but it was a mistake to sign anything until you were sure, and in this case your poor offer is what you signed for and you are committed to working it.  No one forced you to sign, you were looking for security and traded away the possibility of getting better by signing it.  You might be able to go back and re-negotiate for a better offer, but it would be exceptionally poor form to basically welch on your word.   

It sounds like you're still using it as a back-up plan. If you want out, the best thing to do is to let them know ASAP and don't look back. They need time to find another PA. I was in a similar situation. I had signed a contract feeling pressure to get a job -- any job -- and I felt sick about it as soon as I signed it. I talked to a lawyer and wrote a brief letter stating that I revoked the contract. I re-iterated my status as a student, hoping that if it went to court that could buy me some sympathy. Then I waited. Heard nothing. Life went on.  

If you haven't worked at the position, on what basis would you ever put it on your CV?  If it's not on your CV, why would anyone contact that employer or know about it?

This.  So much this.  However, to be fair, you don't ACTUALLY have an ED job yet so...

It sounds like even if you take the UC job you'll still be searching for something better.  And leaving after a short time would look worse (IMO) than backing out before they've invested any time into you.  Tell the UC job you're out, let them move on instead of using them for a backup.

For clarification I have just received the results of the PANCE and I have passed. The second thing is that I have not continued job hunting after I signed my contract. I had a phone interview for the ED job a few months ago. This is the same ED I have just interviewed at in person at. My original phone interview was before my hiring process at the Urgent Care began. After graduating and signing with the Urgent Care I was contacted by the ED for an in-person interview. They stated they were waiting for me to graduate and take the boards before having an in-person interview. While interviewing with the Urgent Care I told them that I was hoping to work in an ED but that urgent care was "the next best opportunity" to gain experience to try and one day work in an ED. I would never continue job hunting after signing a contract. While the urgent care does have a non-compete contract, the ED position is not within the radius for it to be enforced. I do not feel that I am using the UC as a back up plan per say but I was unaware that I would be contacted by ED's after my graduation. 

So it seems you have now answered your own question. Take the ED job and move on. But, have the courtesy to have a direct conversation with the UC and apologize for any inconvenience, (No need to tell them where you are going) and let them know you will comply with the terms of the non-compete. You need to face the music if you really want to move on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This thread triggered my memory of my first job hunting experience.  I looked for 5 months and was offered a position in FM by a regional health care system, salary was not great and the commute was 72 miles one way.  It was my only offer.  I had undergone the urine testing, credentialing, and the org. did not have a formal contract, just a letter of employment to the best of my recollection.  I wasn't real thrilled about the commute and the hours and expectations but it was my first offer. 

THEN::::: my 2 dream jobs popped up.  One was in UC working as a LTE for the PA who was out on active duty with the guard.  The other was part-time on the rez.  Both decent salaries and I took both of them and reneged on my letter of employment.  

I did not regret it at all.  The 2 jobs opened the most interesting experiences and sent me on a steep trajectory of learning, that I do not think would have happened at the FM job where the PA basically was going to see the patients the physician did not want to see ( I had an inside scoop from an NP who knew the NP who had resigned under that particular physician and it was not a good work environment). 

Best wishes for you!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was given an offer by one of the ED's I interviewed with. Per my contract with the UC, I was to give 90 days notice for terminating the contract unless coming to a mutual agreement to terminate it earlier. I gave them 90 days notice and luckily we mutually agreed to terminate it sooner. After terminating the contract, the hiring coordinator contacted me to ask me about the other offer I accepted and if there was anything they could have done different to retain me. When I told her all of the details of the new contract (15k more w/bi-annual raises, more PTO, double CME, a great 401k, and a pension) she said "Wow, that is a great offer. That sounds like something you have to be crazy not to take. While we wish it was with us, we feel you'll be a great PA. We wish you good luck." They also offered me part time shifts once I get settled in in my new job. They thanked me for being up front with them and acting professional about the situation. They were very understanding about the whole process and I really appreciate them for being amazing throughout the whole process.  

Wow, great ending and it is nice to hear of an organization acting professionally and understanding when a better opportunity arises.  I was recently offered a position that I declined and had the same experience.  The group and HR was super nice and understanding of my reasons for not accepting and even left the door open for future employment if I desired down the road.  I think being honest about the situation always helps.

Archived