PhD (Molecular Biology) with low undergrad GPA.

I had a horrible undergrad GPA (2.20). I was a biotechnology major which is basically a double major of chemistry and microbiology. I finished my PhD in Molecular Biology a few years ago with a 3.6 GPA, one first authored publication and three co-authored publications. I really want to get out of academic research and move into clinical medicine. I am taking A&P this semester and I am trying to get a position as a clinical research coordinator in transplant medicine. My thesis work was in immunosuppressant toxicity in rodent models. I have a really good reason why my GPA was low. I was on dialysis for nine years while I was an undergrad and my two poor grades in grad school were during a semester that I was having a bad reaction to a new medication after my transplant.  I have more than 300+ units so trying to improve my overall GPA is almost ridiculous. I am trying to decide if I am wasting my time pursing a PA if most of the schools will automatically kick out my application because of my GPA. I’m used to proving myself repeatedly because of my poor undergraduate grades. I had to take multiple classes after my BS to get into grad school and I had to apply twice.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

If you have a PhD in molecular biology with a 3.6, then the usual hard and fast undergrad grade cutoff might not apply for you, though you will have to go talk to people at at least one of the programs in which you are interested. How old are you? Do you have healthcare experience (i.e., taking care of patients)?

You may very well be a truly non-traditional student. Don't give up, but also don't expect that you'll get this done without some face-to-face time with one or more PA program.

Good luck!

If your total cumulative GPA is over the declared minimums and you articulate your strengths and experience in your essays, apply widely, and you'll grab a few interviews.  It's important to note that averages are just that and that every class seems to have folks ranging from the GPA minimum to maximum in each class.  However, it is key that you seek out and thoroughly research the schools that are willing to look at trend as well as (or instead of) cumulative GPA.  (Some schools (i.e. Baylor and Stanford, in my experience) are not interested in <3.7 and others (i.e. OHSU or Penn State) will look more holistically at your application.)  I can't imagine a PhD with your kind of first hand medical experience would be overlooked as long as you hit the minimums and convey your story and aspirations convincingly.  An older applicant with a below-average cGPA and no PhD, I can tell you I received interviews at every school I applied to last year--point being, you should put your heart and soul into an application.  You just may be surprised to find yourself a good fit at an excellent program.  Good luck! 

I would say that you have to get out there and shake some hands, explain your situation, and really get to know some people on the Adcom, unfortunately I think with your low GPA you will get lost in the pile......I had a friend in a similar situation, but he got himself out there and had multiple meetings with admissions prior to them ever seeing his application, they pulled his application for evaluation even though he was below the cutoff on the GPA..... He is currently finishing up his first year in PA school.... 

Campbell, i believe Wake Forest, a few schools in Texas and Emory (off the top of my head) will take your last 45-60 hours of work and figure a GPA out and use that if it is higher than your CASPA average.  

There are schools out there that don't stick hard and fast to the CASPA calculated.  You'll just need to do some research.

• Administrator

Have you considered DO school?  My understanding is that they tend to be a lot more open-minded about non-traditional applicants than MD school.  Sure, it's longer and with required residency, but DO/PhD looks a lot better, subjectively, than PA-C/PhD.  Ooh, and don't forget the added earning power...

Thank you for all of the replies. I have considered DO or MD, but I am already in my early 40’s and I don’t know if I want to spend 4 years in school plus residency after spending 6 years in grad school. I’ll just start contacting admissions offices and a few PA’s I know from grad school.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nutty,

I have a PhD and recently got accepted into PA school (I begin in August).  My PhD is in Microbiology.  Like you, I was seduced by academia and the thrill of publishing.  Then I realized what I had gotten myself into, and I wantd out!  Clinical medicine was my calling.  From what I understand after going through the transition to PA school myself is this:

Your GPA is only one small part of your application.  Furthermore, I actually got the sense that the faculty didn't even look at my undergrad GPA.  You have a PhD, which means that you conquered the most academically rigorous program known to man.  Really, I don't think your undergrad GPA will matter one bit.  Apply to several schools, of course, to improve your chances of being seen favorably.  It might also serve you well to do a tour of the campus, try to meet someone, make connections with the school.  The faculty are more likely to look at an application twice if they recognize the face or the name.

During my application and interview process I also got the sense (from my interviewers and mentors) that clinical experience matters a whole lot.  This means real, hands-on patient contact.  As a clinical research coordinator, you may not get this much-needed experience.  Could you perhaps get a phlebotomy license or something of that sort, and start pounding out some serious hours?  

You have undergone a kidney transplant AND have gone through grad school (and it sounds like you did well!) is a testament to your perserverance, intelligence, maturity, ingenuity, all those great qualities that PA schools look for.

I wouldn't stress a GPA of 3.6 with your background and clear abilities.  Seriously.  There are plenty of programs out there that look at the GPA achieved for the specific pre-reqs (AnP, micro, stats etc.) as well as accounting for your current experience.  Don't let anyone get you down about a 3.6 GPA.

Your GPA is only one small part of your application.  Furthermore, I actually got the sense that the faculty didn't even look at my undergrad GPA.  You have a PhD, which means that you conquered the most academically rigorous program known to man.  Really, I don't think your undergrad GPA will matter one bit.  Apply to several schools, of course, to improve your chances of being seen favorably.  It might also serve you well to do a tour of the campus, try to meet someone, make connections with the school.  The faculty are more likely to look at an application twice if they recognize the face or the name.

During my application and interview process I also got the sense (from my interviewers and mentors) that clinical experience matters a whole lot.  This means real, hands-on patient contact.  As a clinical research coordinator, you may not get this much-needed experience.  Could you perhaps get a phlebotomy license or something of that sort, and start pounding out some serious hours?  

You have undergone a kidney transplant AND have gone through grad school (and it sounds like you did well!) is a testament to your perserverance, intelligence, maturity, ingenuity, all those great qualities that PA schools look for.

awesome post, especially the highlighted parts.

NuttyPhD- You are me almost 2 years ago. I am nearing the end of my clinical year in PA school now, but I started the PA journey exactly as you are now. My undergrad GPA was 2.7 but I finished my PhD in Biomedical science doing cancer research - ending with something around a 3.5 GPA. I applied to 11 programs. Due to my undergrad GPA, I was immediately rejected by 7 of the programs. Understand that many PA schools receive so many applications that they filter out the low undergrad GPAs immediately. When I called these programs, they said my doctorate work didn't matter. They wanted a level playing field to judge all applicants by, and undergrad GPA was that field. The remaining 4 programs offered me interviews almost immediately. Three of them were programs that I took the time to visit and meet with the admissions coordinator, take a tour, and chat with students. They were interested in what I could offer the profession in terms of advancing the role of PAs in research or becoming PA faculty in the future. 

Long story short, it is possible to get into a program with a low undergrad GPA but you will need to research programs and make yourself visible to them before they get your application. Not an easy thing to do with most programs because they are so busy. PM me if you have any questions. 

Edit: I should also say that I had ZERO clinical experience and I knew that would hurt me. I enrolled into a Medical Laboratory Science Program for a semester which bridged the gap. After a couple months of running CBC, UAs, coagulation studies, and interpreting blood smears I became a champ at interpreting blood and urine lab results. I got a good bit of experience doing phlebotomy, too. In addition, I shadowed a PA for 6 weeks every hour that he worked. My point is, don't overlook the medical experience aspect. As others have said, this part of the application carries weight.

• 1 month later...

Archived