I thought I would ask professional PA's if it was possible to only work 6 or 7 months out of the year.

Do you know any PA's with a schedule like that or do you have any information to make 6 month on 6 months off possible.

I would love to be a PA  but traveling has also become a passion of mine ,and working 6 or 7 months out of the year would give me plenty of time to travel.

It actually seems more common in the nursing world and might actually be easier in the nursing world but I decided to check here before making a decision.

I knew a Derm in FL who was looking for a PA during "season" (FL "Winter" - Oct/Nov - April/May) and would give them the summer off (unpaid) to travel or do whatever else they wanted to do. I guess if you find a private practice Doc who makes his own rules you can negotiate whatever you/they want. 

Probably there are jobs in PA - education where you could get the summers off. I know most work year round, but I'm just saying that it could be possible. 

I have seen ads over the years for ER / Urgent care in seasonal vacation spots that need people for the summer (hard to support yourself on 3-4 months of work).

I have seen physicians and nurses (no PAs that I can remember) who job share.  One position but 2-3 people take turns working that position.  Again, not common but possible.

I just had to, literally, hitchhike from Ashville, NC to Johnson City.TN  this past week end when my US Airways plane broke and I was stranded in Ashville.  The guy I got a ride with (the whole way) is a hospitalist (MD), who works 7 on, 7 off, but sometimes doesn't work for weeks at a time while he travels.  Again, he is 58, doesn't need a huge income but there could be such a position for a PA somewhere.

• Upvote 2

Is it rare to find jobs that would allow someone to work half the year.

Yeah lol I got the idea because I hear it's a pretty common set up for hospitalists.

Is it rare to find jobs that would allow someone to work half the year.

Yeah lol I got the idea because I hear it's a pretty common set up for hospitalists.

That's in a 7 on/7 off pattern, so you don't work 6 months straight and then take the rest of the time off.  Your best bet for what you're seeking is to work locums.  I'd be really worried about my clinical skills deteriorating after taking half of every year off and also about how it would affect my job search.

• Upvote 1

Once you have some experience and a network maybe you can arrange for a job like this ... especially in fields like hospitalist, urgent care, ED. As a new grad this would be almost impossible. You got to figure the clinic/hospital needs someone to balance your time off ... is there another person who only wants to work 6 months a year ? And if you are replaceable with nobody why do they have you on staff to begin with ?

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By boomboompaopao
      Hello All,

Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida is looking to add another PA. We currently have 3 Surgeons and 4 PA's. Salary is based on experience. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Paolo Calizo, PA-C
      paopaocali@gmail.com
    • By boomboompaopao
      Hello All,

Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida is looking to add another PA. We currently have 3 Surgeons and 4 PA's. Salary is based on experience. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Paolo Calizo, PA-C
      paopaocali@gmail.com
    • By alscial777
      What? 
      Per diem job opportunity described as easy, straight-forward, laidback, fun with good pay. Expect low-acuity urgent care cases.
      Where?
      Manhattan
      When? 
      Various open shifts throughout September and upcoming months w/ a particular need for weekend coverage
      Full-time Sept 27-Oct 12
      How?
      If you have any questions, message me directly. 
      If you have interest, please email your resume to alexandrajscialdone@gmail.com.
    • By GraceMarie
      Hi there!
      New to the community - I finally decided to make an account after reading through a ton of helpful forum posts ?
      Currently struggling with what to do to set myself up in the best way for PA school. I am 23 and just graduated two weeks ago with a B.S. of Health Science and during my final final exam week came to the realization that pursuing MD/DO wasn't the right match for me given my personal aspirations (family, time, etc.).
      I started off my freshman year getting 4.0s in every class, then had a drastic drop in my late sophomore/entire junior year GPA. I made the decision to transfer home to reground and refocus on my priorities. Following this, my grades improved significantly. I finished with a overall 3.38 cGPA at my second university, however my prior schooling and repeats of a handful of classes left me with an overall cGPA 2.99 and sGPA of 2.82 - which is obviously making me feel discouraged?
      Currently, I am set to be accepted to an 1-year accelerated nursing program starting in May 2019 to become an RN. I also got accepted to Case Western's Medical Physiology master's program and am waiting to hear back on one other MS program. I am leaning toward becoming an RN as I'm thinking this would give me more purpose and satisfaction in work rather than struggling to find a medical job without having any certification until I can further my education/career. I am also not sure how much benefit a general science master's degree would have overall or when applying to PA programs and, with that being said, given the cost of getting a masters...I'm hesitant to commit. The last two bonuses of being an RN, I'd be able to get my finances together and some quality HCE for a couple years before pursuing PA school.
      SO, my questions and confusion:
      Most important --> 1) What is the best way of raising my GPA and chances for PA school? Taking general or upper level sciences? Technically my GPA would bump up by doing the nursing program, however a few of my PA pre-reqs are low even after a couple repeats so I am concerned about this.
      2) Should I repeat my pre-reqs? I noticed some schools say that you have to have taken these classes within 6 years of applying. By the time I apply, some of my pre-reqs will be past this and I would have to retake them anyway if this is the case. Am I not understanding this correctly?
      3) What are thoughts on pursuing master's programs in relation to PA school? Benefits? Has anyone done this and would you do it again if you had the choice?
      Here are my stats again:
      cGPA: 2.99 // sGPA: 2.82 // GRE: v - 154/65th percentile, q - 153/51st percentile, w - 3.5 // Current paid HCE: 432 // Volunteer HCE: 652
      I'm sorry this is long, but I am open to any and all words of advice anyone is willing to offer! Hopefully, this will help others as well - I've read a lot of uplifting forums that give me hope that it is still possible to achieve our goals! Thank you to all in advance!
    • By rrasbe1
      Surgical PAs! I'm curious to know how your schedules are structured. I'm hoping to gain insight on how similar practices operate and hopefully create a more efficient structure for my own group. 
      I'm currently part of a hospital based neurosurgery group consisting of 7 PAs and 7 surgeons (when fully staffed, + 2 surgeons who are there part time). We also have a residency program. PA responsibilities include call (6a-6p), inpatient, clinic, and OR. We work 4 days a week with a rotating day off to keep us under/near 50 hours/week, and 1/8 Saturdays. We are, as a whole, looking for a more 1:1 relationship with a physician to improve continuity/sanity and gain autonomy by predominately working with one doc.
      I have thought about how to accomplish this for hours upon hours, but run into significant road blocks each time. I'd love some fresh perspective! Thanks in advance.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More