PENN STATE 2015-2016 application cycle

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone! I am interested in applying to Penn State after the PA I am shadowing told me about the program. I already submitted my CASPA back in August. Do you think it would be too late to apply to Penn State this cycle? Thank you!

Nope!! Thanks for your interest and good luck!

One of my classmates shared this in an earlier post, but I thought I'd add it again for applicants new to this page. I am a 1st year student at Penn State and I have been keeping a blog of my experiences in the program as well as advice for applying and surviving PA school. Hope it helps!

pajourney.com

This program is tough (probably more rigorous than many other programs out there), but that is why I chose it. And I could not be happier with my decision. The faculty is motivated and brilliant. They hold us as students to higher standards than we ever imagined, but we are all learing (however much we struggle) to meet those standards and are bettering ourselves as a result.

The program is competative, but don't let that scare you though. I almost didn't apply here because I didn't think I would have any chance of getting in. But here I am. It has been obvious since day 1 that this program chooses applicants based on their ability to be good providers (not calculations based on GPA, HCE, essays, etc.). My classmates are all unique and incredible thoughtful, wonderful people. My advice to you on interview day here is to show some personality and be yourself. I have a few posts in my blog about interviewing that might give you an idea of how to do that. Best of luck to you all!

Can anyone advise if there is a required minimum undergrad GPA to apply? The website states that applicants should "ordinarily have the following admission requirements" and then lists an overall and science GPA of 3.0...I'm trying to determine whether this means its a requirement or if accepted applicants typically have at least the GPAs listed. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The undergrad GPA includes grades from any coursework taken as an undergrad--either before or after graduation (i.e. pre-reqs you might take years after graduation are still considered as a part of your undergrad GPA.)  PSU definitely looks at cumulative & science GPAs as well as grade trends.  Of all the schools I applied to, they seemed to spend the most time analyzing my entire application and getting to know me as an individual.  But as far as stats go, check out the webpage.  Minimums, averages, and ranges (all on the chart on this page) are all you need to compare with your profile.  (Remember, these averages and ranges are for ACCEPTED, matriculated students to each class.)  

http://www.pennstatehershey.org/web/educationalaffairs/paprogram/prospectivestudents

As far as minimums go, click the Admission Requirements tab to see:

"For admissions consideration, an applicant should ordinarily have the following admission requirements:

• at least an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0;
  • at least a required science GPA of 3.0;
  • health care experience of 500 hours (paid or volunteer);

If you look at the range of accepted applicants, you will see that these are the bare minimum numbers needed for acceptance. Good luck!

The undergrad GPA includes grades from any coursework taken as an undergrad--either before or after graduation (i.e. pre-reqs you might take years after graduation are still considered as a part of your undergrad GPA.) PSU definitely looks at cumulative & science GPAs as well as grade trends. Of all the schools I applied to, they seemed to spend the most time analyzing my entire application and getting to know me as an individual. But as far as stats go, check out the webpage. Minimums, averages, and ranges (all on the chart on this page) are all you need to compare with your profile. (Remember, these averages and ranges are for ACCEPTED, matriculated students to each class.)

http://www.pennstatehershey.org/web/educationalaffairs/paprogram/prospectivestudents

As far as minimums go, click the Admission Requirements tab to see:

"For admissions consideration, an applicant should ordinarily have the following admission requirements:

• at least an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0;
  • at least a required science GPA of 3.0;
  • health care experience of 500 hours (paid or volunteer);
If you look at the range of accepted applicants, you will see that these are the bare minimum numbers needed for acceptance. Good luck!
Thanks for the info zoopeda!

Anybody hear back from Penn State Recently from interviews in November?  

For any candidate who has interviewed since our last admissions committee convened at the end of October, our next admissions committee is tomorrow (11/24/15). Thank you for your patience and I can assure you notifications will go out as quickly as possible.

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!

Caryn Stopper

Director of Admissions

I still haven't heard anything from Penn State after my supplemental application was received months ago. Are there still interview sessions left?

Yes. However, in our experience, and what seems to be the case with this application cycle as well, is that if you are selected for an interview you find out pretty soon (within a few weeks?) of your supplemental being received.

Yes. However, in our experience, and what seems to be the case with this application cycle as well, is that if you are selected for an interview you find out pretty soon (within a few weeks?) of your supplemental being received.

So does that mean there is a high chance that those of us who have not heard back within a few weeks of submitting the supplemental are most likey to be receiving rejections?

So does that mean there is a high chance that those of us who have not heard back within a few weeks of submitting the supplemental are most likey to be receiving rejections?

I have not personally been in that position so I can not say for sure. I applied to PSU twice and both times received my interview invites within a few weeks (and the first time I applied, it was within a day or two). What I do know, and can completely empathize with, is that the waiting game (regardless of where you are at in it) is brutal. Sorry that I cannot be of more help. :-(

I would like to add to my last post. To help put things in perspective for all following, keep in mind that our program only interviews about 110 candidates for 30 seats. So, for this cycle, where I am hearing we have received over 3,000 applications (and continuing to accept applications) only about 3.5% of applicants will receive an interview. I know that may sound discouraging but, come next May, there will be 30 people joining us and maybe one will be you! My best advice- stay positive but also continually keep working to make yourself the strongest candidate you can be. Draw on your strengths and improve your weakness. You can do it!! Best of luck!!

Archived