PENN STATE 2015-2016 application cycle

I interviewed yesterday and I just want to echo what has been said before about what a tremendous and fun interview process it was. The faculty and students were incredibly nice and welcoming. It really stood out to me how well they (faculty) knew my application and history (even if that meant fielding several Golden Girls questions...Carleton Sucks!). I was able to have some really meaningful conversations with my interviewers and felt really at ease being myself. Having the real patient interview was great as was watching the team-based learning session. I also really want to highlight that the talk about transparency, honesty, and respect isn't just lip service. Chris Bruce is a straight shooter and she runs her program the same way. If I don't get in this cycle I will definitely be applying here again.

To the students who had lunch with us - thank you so much! It was a pleasure to meet with you and get your input. Best of luck with your tests and look after yourselves! You can do it!

Also, Caryn Stopper gave me exactly the same numbers about the application process as ST@PSU posted above. Regardless of outcome it was an honor to be invited to interview.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know how receptive the staff is about contacting them to find out what we need to work on after a rejection? I interviewed last month and just recieved a rejection letter.

-_______-

I'm so sorry to hear, especially if we were high on your list of schools :-(

I can speak to this because I applied twice and got waitlisted twice. The decision process will be complete sometime around early March. At that point, they will be able to provide feedback at your request. However, I encourage everyone (those who have interviewed and not been accepted and those who applied but may not end up with an interview) to start NOW (if you have not already) to work on those areas of your application that may not have been as strong. Or, if you are a really nervous interviewer and think it was that, begin working on those skills as well.

With only able to get feedback in early to mid-March, you will lose valuable time in getting ready for the next cycle which will open only a month later in mid-April. While I had a pretty good sense of what I needed to work on between my application cycles, I was able to confirm my suspicions by messaging applicants on the forum (both on the PSU thread and on the threads of other schools I applied) who had posted they had been accepted (i.e. not us current students but those that interviewed and have been accepted this cycle) and politely asking if they would share some things about themselves with me. And not just their GREs and GPA, but also what their background was, etc. Remember that diversity is very important to our program (and to those who have seen a TBL session can attest, diversity is key in the success of this format). That, along with identifying any areas that I may have fallen outside of the posted RANGES (i.e. you don't need to have the best score in everything but your application should have things that balance each other out) is what I focused on while waiting for feedback. And, no coincidence, the areas that I was able to identify myself were exactly the ones Caryn told me were identified by the team as weak areas of my application. But, by the time she was able to inform me of that, I was already well on my way to changing them :-).

So, my take home message is, BE RESOURCEFUL! Help each other out. Also, get really comfortable with taking an honest assessment of yourself. You will need to be able to do this once you are in PA school so begin now.  And, DON'T WAIT!!!  Start working on improving your application NOW!!

I really hope this helps. Continuing to wish everyone the best in your journeys to becoming a PA!

I interviewed yesterday and I just want to echo what has been said before about what a tremendous and fun interview process it was. The faculty and students were incredibly nice and welcoming. It really stood out to me how well they (faculty) knew my application and history (even if that meant fielding several Golden Girls questions...Carleton Sucks!). I was able to have some really meaningful conversations with my interviewers and felt really at ease being myself. Having the real patient interview was great as was watching the team-based learning session. I also really want to highlight that the talk about transparency, honesty, and respect isn't just lip service. Chris Bruce is a straight shooter and she runs her program the same way. If I don't get in this cycle I will definitely be applying here again.

To the students who had lunch with us - thank you so much! It was a pleasure to meet with you and get your input. Best of luck with your tests and look after yourselves! You can do it!

Also, Caryn Stopper gave me exactly the same numbers about the application process as ST@PSU posted above. Regardless of outcome it was an honor to be invited to interview.

Aww, thank you.  We are so glad to hear you had a positive experience.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and all who are following.  Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the waitlist process? I was wait listed and penn state was my number one. I've put down a deposit for another school and cant decide if i should still take the prerequisites i was planning to take in the spring for Penn State's program. Does anyone know when we hear/chances of getting pulled off the list?

Does anyone know the waitlist process? I was wait listed and penn state was my number one. I've put down a deposit for another school and cant decide if i should still take the prerequisites i was planning to take in the spring for Penn State's program. Does anyone know when we hear/chances of getting pulled off the list?

I know the waitlist process VERY well!  Like you, PSU was my top choice (and actually my only choice my first time through CASPA).  For the 2013-14 cycle, I was interviewed in November and waitlisted about 4 weeks later.  May 2014 came and went with no word but I was already in the process of re-applying.  I was then invited to interview for the 2014-15 cycle in August 2015.  This time, about 8 weeks passed before I was notified that I was again on the waitlist.  In the meantime, I interviewed at my second choice school and, as fate would have it, was waitlisted there as well.  In January of this year, although hopeful I would come off of one of the two waitlists, I was already working hard to improve my application for a third CASPA cycle.  Fast forward to May 2015.  I had most of my CASPA application completed for the current cycle and was waiting on just one or two letters of recommendation.  But then, just 2 days before the start of classes here at PSU, I GOT THE CALL!!!!  And the rest, as they say, is history!

So, is it possible to get chosen from the waitlist?  YES!!!  However, the statistics are, unfortunately, not in your favor.  I believe only 1 or 2 people in the Class of 2016 are in off the waitlist.  For our year (the first years), I think there are 3 or 4 of us (in classes of 30 students each).  While spots remain open (I know it may sound strange to be on the waitlist when not all of the seats have been filled), interviewing for those spots will continue through about February.  PSU honors its mid-January application deadline and will consider all applicants through that date.  The class will likely be set by the end of February or the beginning of March.  After the class is set, if any accepted student gives up a spot, then applicants on the waitlist will be reconsidered.  I believe the earliest anyone in our class was accepted off the waitlist was the end of January.  Applicants are told that the waitlist is not ranked until there is a need to utilize it.  Although this is just my speculation, this is likely due to the high value our program places on diversity and the desire to maintain that diversity when a previously filled seat becomes available.  As you hopefully learned during your interview, our program is rooted in a Team Based Learning (TBL) approach and, for this style of education to be successful, diversity among the class is key.

With all of that said, you have some tough choices to make!!  Unlike you, I had all of my pre-reqs complete for both of the schools at which I was waitlisted.  I also did not have any other guaranteed acceptances.  The things I was doing to improve my application were things above and beyond the minimum requirements for each program.  In other words, my waitlist status at both programs was not "conditional" on my completing any other requirements.  

The decisions are ones that only you can make!  You will have to take in to account financial considerations, personal preferences, how comfortable you are with uncertainty, etc, etc! I certainly do not envy your position but can definitely empathize!  Best of luck to you!  And best wishes for a happy holiday season!       

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have a couple questions if anyone can help with...

Does anyone have any tips or advice for the patient interview and written assessment?

How many seats are still open?

How many people do you interview with?

When is the last interview date?

We cannot comment on the exact number of seats that are still available other than there are seats open. Our program honors its application deadline and will consider all who have submitted both CASPA and the secondary app by that date. Consequently, interviews will continue for a period of time beyond the deadline. Right now, I am aware of interview dates in January.

As for the interview itself, I know it's a cliche, but just be yourself. Highlight things unique about you that you did not include in either of your applications. The patient interview is very relaxed. Maybe those who have interviewed this cycle would like to comment? I actually just saw the patient who had interviewed me 2 years ago and she still remembered me!! That's the kind of lasting impression you want to leave. And, if you are truly the kind of person our program is looking for, you will!! In addition to a patient, you will interview one-on-one with several faculty members and our program director.

Hope this helps! Happy New Year and best of luck to all!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

The next interview date is this Friday. We just recently came back from Winter Break during which the faculty were also on different schedules. While we as current students do not weigh in on the decision making process, I am pretty sure that the team has not had an opportunity to meet in recent weeks. I know it's though but hang in there!!

For those who have heard a decision, is it normal to have an interview on 12/12/15 and not hear anything yet? They said we would hear within 1 month, and it is now 42 days. I would think that by now we would hear whether we get accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. Is it possible that they forgot about us because we are rejected anyways and that we need to reach out to them to remind them, at which point they would send out an email or letter saying, "oh yeah, you were rejected, but best of luck with your future endeavors?"

For those who have heard a decision, is it normal to have an interview on 12/12/15 and not hear anything yet? They said we would hear within 1 month, and it is now 42 days. I would think that by now we would hear whether we get accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. Is it possible that they forgot about us because we are rejected anyways and that we need to reach out to them to remind them, at which point they would send out an email or letter saying, "oh yeah, you were rejected, but best of luck with your future endeavors?"

Given our winter break, it may not be unreasonable that you have not heard from the Program as of yet (see my last post). However, you were also likely encouraged to contact us if you have an acceptance from another school and are waiting on Penn State's decision to make a deposit. If this is the case, by all means contact Caryn to see if a decision can be made sooner. If this is not the case, I encourage you to be patient, as hard as I know that is (I've been where you are-TWICE!!). Everyone who has applied and/or interviewed will be notified of decisions. The first time I was wait listed, it was 4 weeks and the second time it was 8 weeks. While they do try to make decisions quickly, please understand that these are decisions the Program does not take lightly and a LOT of consideration goes in to who will be joining us in May. Hope this helps. Thank you for your continued interest in our program and GOOD LUCK!!

Hello chasingthatPAdream - We do our best to notify all candidates within 30 days. Given the break in December and January, our next admissions committee was not until mid-January. All candidates interviewed on 12/12/15 have been notified. If you have not received any type of communication from our program, is there a chance that we have an incorrect address for you? You are always welcome to contact me directly as I'm more than willing to address any questions you might have and/or discuss your admissions status. 

Caryn Stopper, M.Ed.

Director of Admissions

Does anyone know if interviews are still being offered?

As we've shared previously, Penn State honors its deadlines and will not fill the class in advance of our stated deadlines. Our process remains active. We continue to review files, offer interviews, and offer admission and will continue to do so through February. If you have yet to hear from us, then your file remains under active review. The only other piece that I can assure our candidates of, is that all applicants who submitted a secondary will be notified by the committee when a final decision has been reached. 

Caryn Stopper, M.Ed.

Director of Admissions 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard back recently?

What I can share with everyone is that the last interview session was held today. Over the coming weeks, everyone who interviewed and/or completed secondary applications should be notified. Thank you to everyone for your interest in Penn State!! Looking forward to welcoming the Class of 2018 in May!!

ST@PSU, is that mean all the interviews were done?

We, the current students who participate in interview days, were informed that yesterday was the last scheduled interview session. I know how disappointing that will be for many following. Again, if you have interviewed and/or submitted a secondary app with our program, you will be notified of a decision. Around mid-March, you may be able to receive feedback if none is provided to you at the time you are notified of a decision. If you are planning on re-applying in April, I strongly encourage you to continue to strengthen your application in ways that will make you a diverse candidate. Please feel free to continue to post questions about our program specifically or perusing PA school in general. As the next cycle approaches, please begin a new thread and we'll continue the conversation! Best of luck to all of you on this crazy (but very much worth it!) journey!!

Archived