PENN STATE 2015-2016 application cycle

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of (morbid) curiosity, does anyone know when interviews are tentatively scheduled to be held this year?

Hi cop to pa,

I do not know when interviews are scheduled.  Last year, the first interviews were held the first week of August.  Good luck!!

Hi! 

I'm kinda late to apply to Penn state but I was wondering if the people who got admitted to provide some stats. I looked at the average states on the Penn website and I'm kinda either below the average or right on it. Also, how many people do Penn state interview? 

Hi, everyone!

Congrats to those who are receiving interview invites!!  We are looking forward to seeing you on campus!!

To address qqiu1...you are not too late in applying!!!!  One of many great things about PSU is that they honor their application deadline and will keep seats available until all applications completed and submitted by the deadline date (probably mid-January?) have been reviewed.  For the past 2 cycles, interviews have been conducted a few times a month beginning late summer through February-March.  Acceptance decisions have been made during that time, however, they will keep seats available through the application deadline.  So, while I would recommend applying as soon as possible, if you do have something outstanding (more than one pre-req if not currently in undergrad, improved GRE scores, etc) that you think would make you a much stronger candidate, you may want to wait until you have completed it before applying.  In our current class, we have people who applied at all different points during the cycle up to the deadline who got accepted. Also, I believe our stats on the program's page include ranges so you can see the max and min of scores, GPAs, HCE hours, etc. that were accepted.  Maybe that may further help you assess your strength as a candidate.  

Additionally, I would strongly encourage you to keep following this forum, as well as those for other programs to which you are applying.  When I was going through the CASPA application process, I learned the most about my strengths and weakness as a candidate by interacting with the other applicants.  While I hope everyone gets in on their first try, I was one who did not and, as I'm sure you already know, not everyone will.  So, although you should think positively and give it all you've got this application cycle, continue to improve yourself by taking classes, getting more HCE hours, improving GRE scores, volunteering, shadowing, etc as you go along.  Not only will it show admissions teams that you are committed to personal and professional development and lifelong learning, but it will make you an even stronger candidate next cycle should you have to apply again.

I still keep in touch with some of the applicants I "met" through the forum and it's been a great support system.  Some of us even ended up interviewing together at some of the same schools and we never realized it until after the interviews!! Remember, the people with whom you are applying today will be your classmates and, eventually, your colleagues tomorrow.  The earlier you start working together, even as applicants, the better PAs you will be!  So help each other out!  Here at PSU, our program is very team-based and it is AMAZING how much, and how quickly, we are learning from this approach.  Patients benefit the most when healthcare providers work together!!  

Khartma1 is correct in that it is a class of 30.  We are like one big family!!

I am local to the area so, if anyone is coming in from out of town, I'm happy to try and answer any questions about Hershey you may have.  

Hope this helps!!  And GOOD LUCK!!

I know you receive more information about housing during the interview. I was just wondering where students live while attending school? I was given a sheet of housing options last year and didn't know if students lived together in some of these options.

Hi Buckybrain!

First, thank  you for your continued interest in PSU!!  

Hopefully my classmates will comment on this as well.  I am from the area and live off campus with my family so I may not be the best to answer your questions.  However, I do know that at least a few in the class live together, some in campus housing and some very nearby off campus.  Others, like me, are living at home with families.  And some who live on/near campus are living with others who are students in other programs or not even students at all.  I was a late admit and also did not need to secure housing but what I hear is that, if accepted to PSU, you will be invited to an online group (not on Facebook but a similar platform) sometime around January/February at which time you can connect with other accepted students and discuss things like housing and roommates.  If you are accepted before the group is formed, do your own research and think about what might work best for you and your budget. And again, feel free to reach out to us here on the forum if you have questions about living in and around Hershey!  Best of luck!!

I know you receive more information about housing during the interview. I was just wondering where students live while attending school? I was given a sheet of housing options last year and didn't know if students lived together in some of these options.

Yes, lots of opportunity to live with first and/or second year students (or med students, actually).  Both on-campus and off-campus housing available for single student or groups of students.  Finding housing around the med center is extremely easy.  On-campus is very doable too.  Once you're in, those options will become very apparent as you network with classmates.  Good luck!

Hi!

I'm kinda late to apply to Penn state but I was wondering if the people who got admitted to provide some stats. I looked at the average states on the Penn website and I'm kinda either below the average or right on it. Also, how many people do Penn state interview?

I applied last year in November and was accepted, so I'm sure you will be fine.

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have there been any acceptances yet? Still waiting to hear back after submitting my secondary. Good luck everyone!

Hi altacc710 - we are in the very early stages of our interview cycle. Interviews just began and we thank you for your patience during this exciting and busy time. Please don't hesitate to reach out to the program directly with any specific questions regarding your application. 

Archived