PENN STATE 2015-2016 application cycle

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone,

I normally try to stay off of these forums but, with the application cycle being midway through I thought it may be a good time to post a response to some of the messages I've gotten in my inbox on this forum.

Like ST@PSU I am also a first-year PA student. Our class started in May of this year and all I can really say is: it's been a crazy ride! The workload is incredibly heavy, the expectations are high, and the depth of information is great. This was not exactly unexpected, as the reputation of the faculty is known throughout physician assistant education and a duration of the program is the shortest allowable. So, both of these together equal a very intense and demanding, but well worth it program.

I have gotten several messages in my inbox on this forum and a lot of the questions are fairly consistent from one person to another, so I thought I would answer some of the more common ones here:

Facebook page vs. yammer

Both of the first year class and our class maintain a Facebook page, which is where all of our daily communication (Between each other) comes from. We do have yammer are available, and this was used a lot before classes started but, most students feel more comfortable with a closed forum where the people that can easily view the information are well known, and nonthreatening. Yammer was a great resource before classes started as it opened up communication with Caryn (director of admissions) who was always very responsive and quick to answer any questions, despite how annoyingly detailed And repetitive our questions were. Yammer was very good for topics regarding relocating to the area, where to buy books, and possible housing options, but, to be honest, there are things I would rather not do on yammer. As an example, (hypothetically of course!!!) many of us want to share electronic versions of textbooks. While I'm no lawyer,  I'm sure that if this were to hypothetically happen, it would be against a university policy  (Speaking hypothetically, of course). So, if one wanted to share this type of information, Facebook would be a good option. In addition, while the faculty and staff are absolutely excellent, it is a stressful program and many times people want to vent, without fear of anyone else seeing it. Facebook is also good for this. But, to be honest, this type of thing is not overly relevant until you get very close to starting the program, or are already in classes. So, stick with yammer until you get closer to the program start date, then I was actually planning to start a Facebook group for you. It would be a private group, and only open to accepted students.

Admissions essay

One of the most common questions I get is: what do I write my admissions essay about? This question is very difficult, because the admissions committee is not looking for any magical statement or story. The purpose of the admissions essay is for them to get to know you, and for you to show them why you want to be a physician assistant and the depth of your personality. That said, DO NOT try to write your admissions essay like you're trying to impress Merriam-Webster himself. Be a real person. I have talked to other students at Penn State and many other schools and topics of admissions essays have ranged from working on cars as a child to your first exposure to the medical profession to a life-changing experience as an adult. So, the most important thing is to make your admissions essay standout, be realistic, and portray what makes YOU a real person that has compassion and a deep desire to care for others. If you are still trying to figure out what to write your admissions essay on, how about "why you're applying to PA school". This is a particular topic you should already have a clear answer. If you don't, you should do one of two things: reconsider your desire to enter this profession or dig deeper. I hate to be that blunt, but with the level of stress in the profession and in the education, pursuing this because of the money or some superficial reason is not going to be enough to drag you through the remainder of your career. It is better to be happy in another field. So, in short, write your admissions essay as the story of you. Why do you want to be there? What makes you want to be a physician assistant? What point in your life did you decide that medicine was for you? Why not medical school? Why not nurse practitioner? Why not cardiovascular perfusion? Also, the honest! They will read every word of every essay you write. They will be able to quote much of it back to you while you are sitting in front of them in an interview. If you don't believe what you wrote on the admissions essay is going to be glaringly obvious on your face.

"What are your stats"

One question I get all the time is "what are your stats". I do not often provide this information because, to be honest, it is not overly relevant. The average GPA for our class ranged from 3.0-4.0 (The minimum GPA to apply was 3.0). The number of healthcare hours ranged from 500-32,000 (the minimum number of hours to apply was 500). What this means is: the program is looking for well-rounded individuals to complete a cohort. It is not all about perfect GPAs and immaculate resumes. The program is looking for people that can work together, as a part of an interdisciplinary team, and stay calm while doing so. They want people who can take criticism as well as give criticism. So, if you're interested in what the stats are for the accepted class, they are on the prospective students tab on the website. This information is very accurate, but should not guide your decision (with the exception of minimum requirements) as to which school you should apply. We all went through the insecure applicant phase, where we were trying to compare ourselves to everyone else. I know when I say this you're going to think I'm absolutely crazy, but do not compare yourself to other people. Try to think about why YOU would make an excellent addition to the program, Not why you MAY be better than the person applying after you.

"Am I competitive?"

This kind of goes with the question above. While you should never go into an interview or application cycle with pompous ideals, you do need to be confident. The program has only a few opportunities to learn who you really are: your application, your Caspa essay, your supplemental essays, and your references. You want to make sure that you show them that you can be a confident practitioner. As previously said, do not compare yourself to the person sitting next to you, but compare yourself to where you came from and how you have improved over time. If you do have a deep-seated desire to compare yourself to the person sitting next to you (as we all do) then try this: how is it possible that I could improve myself by working with the person sitting next to me?

What to study before starting PA school?

Not sure if you've gathered it so far, but I tend to be a fairly direct person. This is one particular topic that strikes a nerve with me. When I started to apply to physician assistant schools the first thing I asked was "what should I study to make sure I'm ready to enter?" The answer I got was "nothing, The program will tell you everything you need to know. It's more important that you spend time with family and enjoy life before you start the program". This was woefully inadequate. I came into this program with A LOT of clinical experience. But, there was so much more detail than I expected. So, while it is important to spend time with your family and friends before you start any program like this, you really should (strongly suggested) review your knowledge of anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, as well as medical terminology. You don't have to be obsessive compulsive about this, but there is an expectation of knowledge when you enter. Many of us review basic concepts as we progress, but they tend to dive right in. There is not much of a review covering basic information they covered in anatomy and physiology in undergraduate. So, those topics are very important.

What is the most important thing about the interview?

I'm not sure if you're picking up the trend, but if you need a little help here it is: BE HONEST! if you make it to the interview you're in pretty good shape. Everyone you are going to meet in the interview has been doing it for years. They have all interviewed hundreds of applicants, read hundreds of essays, and graduated hundreds of students. Everything you say, they've heard before. The small, subtle, body language you're trying to hide because you're not comfortable speaking about a topic, they see it. The topic you're trying to avoid, they see it. The fact that they bring something up and you don't know what they're talking about, they see it. That being said, the interview at Penn State was, by far, one of my most pleasant. It was one of the only interviews where I felt like they actually reviewed my essays and application and knew where I was coming from. Everyone was very honest and forthcoming. They tried to make me feel comfortable, but there was (as is expected) an undertone where they need to get to know you. So, do not answer questions with closed phrases, don't answer questions like you think they want you to answer, and don't try to fake it. Talk to everyone around you. Get as much information as you can. The important thing to remember is that the school is interviewing you, but you are also interviewing the school and you want to make sure that, should you be offered a spot, is a place that you like. Many people go into the application process and quickly assume the mindset "I'll take any spot I can get". Don't sell yourself short. During the interview you will most likely have an opportunity to speak with current students, over lunch, or by sitting in one of our team-based learning sessions. Don't be quiet! Talk to the group! Ask questions! Current students do not provide any hidden information to the faculty after talking with applicants. But, keep in mind, one of the things that is being assessed is your ability to work with other people. If you come in and don't talk to anyone, how is it possible that anyone is going to learn who you actually are.

So, while this was immensely longer than I planned it to be, I hope I was able to answer some of your questions. I am very happy to be attending this program and, in retrospect, would have chosen this program again. If anyone has any other questions, feel free to send me a private message. I don't tend to check the forum that often, so it may be a while before I respond. If you do get an interview, good luck! My name is Samuel, feel free to come and say hello!

Good luck, and have a great day!

Samuel

P.S. If you read this and think "Wow, his grammar is horrible", your right. But, I also use dictation software, so it goes a little wonky occasionally. So, please forgive the remedial third-grade grammar and syntax!

Hey guys,

I was accepted at Penn state last month and have confirmed my admission with the deposit. I see Caryn has posted here about setting up a yammer/private social media group in the near future but in the meantime feel free to message me on here/add me on Facebook if you have also been accepted into the upcoming class so we can start to figure out the logistics of arriving at Hershey and getting set up there. I look forward to getting to know everyone! 

Rocksteady,

Congratulations on being accepted! The program sets up the yammer page (their social media site) towards the end of the application cycle, and Caryn will send out email invitations for that. Because of the high likelihood that creating a Facebook page with my mind, I went ahead and created it. It is listed under "Penn State PA Class of 2018", and can be accessed from the following link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/606850649453096/

Just send a request.

Once again, Congrats, and we look forward to seeing you in May!

Samuel

Hey guys,

I was accepted at Penn state last month and have confirmed my admission with the deposit. I see Caryn has posted here about setting up a yammer/private social media group in the near future but in the meantime feel free to message me on here/add me on Facebook if you have also been accepted into the upcoming class so we can start to figure out the logistics of arriving at Hershey and getting set up there. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

CONGRATS!! Welcome to PSU!! Looking forward to meeting you in the social media groups and eventually on campus!

Check my profile for stats, feel free to ask for further details in a PM if you want as well. Also, I need to correct my statement, I am getting the schools I applied to mixed up and remembered I sent the supplemental to Penn State by mail...I did receive notification very soon after I sent it, within a few days, I remember being surprised at the turn around time....as for the date, It was late july, I want to say the 27th...sorry for my vagueness!

Hello everyone!

I hope this finds all of you well and remaining positive as you proceed through the grueling, and often-times stressful, CASPA process.

Recently, I received the following questions about the program here at PSU.  Here are my replies for the benefit of all:

Is it too late to apply to PSU?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!  Penn State's CASPA deadline for this cycle is January 15, 2016.  Our program honors this deadline by keeping seats available until all applicants who have submitted by that deadline have been considered and interviews are conducted beyond that date (through about February).  Our current first year class has students who were accepted as early as August (2014) and as late as this past spring.  That being said, it is always better to apply sooner rather than later unless you are completing classes, experiences, etc. that you believe will significantly improve you as a candidate.  It is not required that you have all of your pre-reqs completed prior to applying; however, it is best to wait to apply if you have more than two left to finish (unless you are in you last year of undergrad).  Admissions decisions are made throughout the cycle so there are fewer seats available as time progresses.

What unique resources or parts about the program at PSU have I enjoyed?

Great question!!  One of the most "stand out" features of our program is its emphasis on team-based learning.  We learn as a team both formally in Team-Based Learning (TBL) sessions and informally as we study together (and spend 8 hours in class together every day!).  If you are invited for an interview, there is chance you may get to see and/or participate in a TBL session.  Maybe someone who has interviewed this cycle and experienced TBL would like to comment?

We also integrate on a regular basis with the medical students (and sometimes with nursing and pharmacy students as well) which both enhances our learning and gives us real-world experiences of what it will be like to work with the multi-disciplinary team of healthcare professionals when we are on rotations next year and out practicing.

As far as resources, I believe the two biggest strengths of our program are our faculty and the Hershey Medical Center community which are both 100% committed to our learning and success.  What I personally most enjoy is our small class size (30 students per class) because it really allows us to get to know each other, work together, and ensure the support we need to be successful.  The second year students have also been great mentors for us and more efforts are underway for both classes to work together and learn from each other.  And for those of you fortunate enough to become next year’s class, we will be there for you!!!

Again, thank you to all those following for your interest in Penn State.  Best of luck to everyone!!

Hi again everyone!

If you are interested in learning more about what it's like to be a PA student at PSU, I invite you to check out the blog of one of my first-year classmates. In writing about his own experiences, he is in many ways telling the story of our class. Check out his most recent post which reflects on first semester and gives insights about how it feels to be part of our team!

pajourney.com

Good luck to those who will be interviewing next week! What better timing than during National PA week, right?!

To those still playing the waiting game, applications are accepted and reviewed right up through the January deadline. Interviews will actually continue a little beyond that. Hang in there!

Interviewed recently, got the call about a week ago! Really just a fantastic interview experience. I'm so excited to be a part of the class of 2018. Still, I want to make sure I'm as prepared/informed about the program as I can be. Would any current students be willing to private message me about downsides/things you don't like as much?

Interviewed recently, got the call about a week ago! Really just a fantastic interview experience. I'm so excited to be a part of the class of 2018. Still, I want to make sure I'm as prepared/informed about the program as I can be. Would any current students be willing to private message me about downsides/things you don't like as much?

Congrats!! And welcome to PSU!! I will publicly say that our program is challenging beyond belief and you will grow and LEARN from those challenges more than you can ever imagine. You will feel stretched further than you ever thought was humanly possible. But don't read these as negatives!! My point is that, through the process, everyone will have their ups and downs, things they like and things they do not. My best advice is to arrive here next May with an open mind. We have a saying here, which you will quickly come to understand next year..."trust the system". Congrats again!

Archived