I am appalled by this NP's post on allnurses

"The term physician does not belong to MDs or DOs exclusively. Don't get me wrong EVERY patient should not be miss led about your credentials but if I see a patient and state "I'm a nurse practitioner and will be the physician treating you", etc that should be acceptable... The argument about who can be called doctor, and physician I feel is rediculous. The only importance I see is the fact that every provider clearly states his credentials to every patient. After that if I have a DNP I should be free to be called doctor or physician and as an MSN-NP, called a physician" 

-Allnurses (http://allnurses.com/nurse-practitioners-np/the-term-physician-986253.html)

I don't know about you, but I have a really hard time understanding what they are trying to accomplish. Is it mass confusion? Do they want to be 100% equal to physicians? I'm trying really hard to improve my attitude towards our NP colleagues, but this makes it really difficult.

As an aside, I have a great NP PCP who doesn't agree with the online education, lack of standardization, and "independence" and she had 20 years experience as an ER nurse under her belt. She said if she could do it all over again she would have gone the PA route no doubt!

When the posting party can't spell ridiculous, practitioner, misled, or misleading (with today's common tools that autocorrect), or can't be bothered to use a simple tool like spell check, why would anyone consider their arguments regarding the use of the word physician anyway?

Personally, I agree with his/her premise... he/she just didn't articulate it well.

Physicians DO NOT OWN the word "Dr."

They just mind-F***ked all of ya'll into thinking that they do/... and/or theirs is the ONLY Doctorate Degree that is relevant/important in ANY and ALL healthcare settings.

I've said it before and I'll repeat one more time...

There IS a reason why... Physicians are issued BACHELORS DEGREES (MBBSc) pretty much EVERYWHERE else on this ball called earth, except westernized countries. (See: Flexner Report)

To overstand this... first you must understand the original purpose and sequence of going from associates->bachelors->masters->doctorate.

Then you will see that Physicians calling themselves "Dr." is as bad as a self-sucking tit...!!

Especially when they get up in arms about any other profession doing as they had done to claim that title. The real deal is that MOST Physicians actually really only qualify for 2 Bachelors degrees, but when you're running the show... you can grant yourselves whatever you want.

The "Kool-aid" is strong... be careful..!!!

Abstain or only take small sips.

Personally, I agree with his/her premise... he/she just didn't articulate it well.

They just mind-F***ked all of ya'll into thinking that they do/... and/or theirs is the ONLY Doctorate Degree that is relevant/important in ANY and ALL healthcare settings.

There IS a reason why... Physicians are issued BACHELORS DEGREES (MBBSc) pretty much EVERYWHERE else on this ball called earth, except westernized countries. (See: Flexner Report)

To overstand this... first you must understand the original purpose and sequence of going from associates->bachelors->masters->doctorate.

Then you will see that Physicians calling themselves "Dr." is as bad as a self-sucking tit...!!

Especially when they get up in arms about any other profession doing as they had done to claim that title. The real deal is that MOST Physicians actually really only qualify for 2 Bachelors degrees, but when you're running the show... you can grant yourselves whatever you want.

Well that is a horse of a different color. Physicians don't own the word doctor, I agree, but they do own physician. The post referenced here talks about an NP saying they are a physician, which is a legally protected term, unlike Doctor.

There IS a reason why... Physicians are issued BACHELORS DEGREES (MBBSc) pretty much EVERYWHERE else on this ball called earth, except westernized countries. (See: Flexner Report)

To overstand this... first you must understand the original purpose and sequence of going from associates->bachelors->masters->doctorate.

Ummm, try reading the post again.  This argument is about the word "PHYSICIAN", not "doctor"

Welcome back my friend

By and large, much of the nursing profession has degenerated from a caring profession into a horde of megalomanical shrews.

Not sure about that but, in some states, nurses are unionized. PAs aren't. IMO, unions certainly aren't careing organizations. They are highly political and mostly interested in self preservation. Personally, I would give the nurses a break and direct animosity at the unions. I know a bunch of nurses that are really wonderful people but you probably know a lot more nurses than me so I won't argue the point.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty soon this dialogue is going to resemble the disgruntled nursing jargon that disgusts many PA's. I am a practicing BSN RN, and a current PA student. Regardless of the initials behind your name, lets be level headed, respectful, and win battles with our character and our clinical excellence. Leave the pissing matches for people who don't have better things to do with their time. There are plenty of them.

Archived