Dream Jobs do happen

Have been trying to get in to the VA for about 10 years

finally gave up about 6 months ago-but heard of the state job posting section

Well low and behold a job in the local prison came up

long story short - got it

1/2 time

full bennies

making well over 100k/yr

I have worked long and hard to get ahead and have struggled to find my way but after 14 years out and feeling content with my knowledge I have now landed the job I am am going to retire from

I bring this up here to answer the question that was asked a little bit ago - about where those PAs go that "make it" and to ALL PAs to never sell yourself short!

We have an amazing position in this health care system (although the system is broken) but we can be part of the solution

So what does your "half time" schedule look like?

15-25 hours of clinic per week

then call 24x7x365 but light calls - 1-2 per night 

The call requirement is sig, and I feel the pay is reasonable with this considered 

This is not the typical gig - prisons are weird and although the medicine is mostly the same the delivery is pretty different

Short of opening up a chain of clinics, prison medicine is BY FAR the most lucrative money-wise.  

I know PAs who make over 200k working 20 hours a week, and doctors making over 500k per year on the same schedule.  The highest paid public positions in California are all prison doctors.  One guy gets over a million dollars a year with overtime.  

Of course you have to deal with lying manipulative people every day, so there's that.

Archived