• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Still havent heard anything from the waitlist. But im attending york in the fall, so if i do hear from them id be declining the offer.

That's great Fleurdorange, congratulations on your acceptance to YORK. One of my friends who I took Organic Chemistry with is attending YORK as well. I put all my eggs in one basket and just applied to Sophie because I truly feel is the right program for me. In the meantime I'll keep my fingers crossed in hope of hearing something soon. I have one more week of class left; I decided to take an Inorganic Chemistry course over the summer and it's going really well.

HEY GUYS ! I know my classmate posted this already but please take advantage of the PA club hours. Trust me it will help you tremendously.

For those who would like to come by our club hours are :

Thursday's 12:30-1:30pm

Harris Hall

Room 209

Come by and bring a friend!

Hint hint: not only will us students be there, but there will be faculty there who will be interviewing you !!

Hey are you guys still having these meetings?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone congratulation to all those accepted! And those that did not get in don't give up. I applied this cycle but unfortunately did not make it in. I was told that my interview did not go well but all my academic qualitfications were good. I would really like to reapply for the next cycle. Any suggestions on what I should do to improve my admission application? All comments would be appreciated. TIA

Hello Afreen246. Did they give you any further information about the interview? Who did you interview with?

I highly recommend the book by Andrew Rodican called "How to ace the Physician Assistant school interview". It gives great advice on how to formulate your answer for the interview. I suggest picking that up & reading it cover to cover. Some schools will ask you really bizarrre questions (I personally didn't get any bizarre questions on my interview). It's not because they expect the correct answer, it's because they want to see your thought process. It gives you an insight into how & why they ask the questions that they ask. The book also discusses what type of answers that can sink your interview.

Thanks so much!!!! My name is Samanta Erzen. I'd love to meet you if you're able to make it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to "meet" you Samanta. I'm so used to your screen name. Lol. My name is Yessenia. Can you please PM me the date of the orientation dinner? They still haven't notified us of the date. They usually send out invitations to us last minute to our school emails (which I'm not sure if they will still be valid at that time). Once I find out, I will put it in my calendar in order to make sure that I can attend.

Hi Yacosta815,

What's your name so we can look for you to personally thank you for all your insight?

My name is Yessenia. I'm looking forward to meeting you all at the orientation dinner. PA school is going to be hard, but trust me, it's going to be worth it. Start studying for physio now!!! Dr Garvey (the professor who teaches the class) is no joke. She goes lightening fast!!! She loves Guyton & Hall's textbook of Medical Physiology. We used the 12th edition. I think (but not sure) that a newer edition came out. Save money & buy an edition that's one older than the newest one. They are practically the same. I had some classmates use the 11th edtition & it was 95% identical to mine which cost a lot more.

For pharm, there is a new professor (I forgot her name) running the program. She taught us a few classes while the pharm program was being run by Dr Kashfi. Since I didn't have her as my main instructor, I don't know what book she uses.

These are the 2 classes that most students have trouble with. Study these hard now!!!

Nice to "meet" you Samanta. I'm so used to your screen name. Lol. My name is Yessenia. Can you please PM me the date of the orientation dinner? They still haven't notified us of the date. They usually send out invitations to us last minute to our school emails (which I'm not sure if they will still be valid at that time). Once I find out, I will put it in my calendar in order to make sure that I can attend.

For some reason the forum is not allowing me to send you a PM!

We have two different dinner events scheduled, Monday August 24th as well as on Friday October 16th ????????

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason the forum is not allowing me to send you a PM!

We have two different dinner events scheduled, Monday August 24th as well as on Friday October 16th

I went to pick up my Certificate of completion yesterday from the program. I was told that things might be changing this year & that alumni & guests may not be invited to the orientation dinner. When I had my orientation dinner, I was able to bring guests with me. I brought my mom, my sister & my son. However, that was when we had Mrs Gates as our program director. She was awesome!!! The new program director (I'm NOT a fan of hers at all), has decided to change things up & that may be something that she's planning on changing. If alumni are invited, I will definitely go, but if we are not allowed to attend, then I won't be allowed in. I'll let you know if I hear anything from them about it. Keep me updated if you hear anything.

• 1 month later...

"Calm down, you made it into a school with less than half the prerequisites as other programs and graduated without graduate level work unlike others from a graduate level program. So be more humble because you may have been able to pass your boards and become a PA, but you are not at the same level as the PA's whom graduated from a Master's program." - ihavequestions

What a douche. Many people from different schools and many people in the workforce would disagree. As you can see below, the NCCPA disagrees with you. Shut it and keep it moving.

NCCPA-2014-3.jpg

NYSSPA Medical Jeopardy PA Program Winners

Harlem Hospital

Harlem Hospital

Long Island University

Harlem Hospital

Harlem Hospital

Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University

Wagner College

Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University

Weill Cornell University

Stony Brook University

St. Vincent Catholic Medical Center

Weill Cornell University

St. John's University

Harlem Hospital

Pace University

Hofstra University

Harlem Hospital

Harlem Hospital

Stony Brook University

AAPA Challenge Bowl WInners

2014 Miami-Dade College

2013 Stanford University

2012 Nova Southeastern-Jacksonville

2011 Mercer University

2010 DeSales University 
2009 DeSales University 
2008 DeSales University 
2007 Duke University 
2006 Midwestern University Illinois
2005 Quinnipiac University
2004 DeSales University
2003 Midwestern University
2002 DeSales University
2001 SUNY Stony Brook
2000 LeMoyne College
1999 Daemen College
1998 Rocky Mountain College
1997 St. Francis College
1996 Duquesne University PA Program
1995 College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific PA Program
1994 Brooklyn Hospital/L.I.U. PA Program
1993 Harlem Hospital PA Program
1992 Bowman Gray PA Program
1991 Harlem Hospital PA Program

Yacosta815 thank you for your response. Honestly, they did not ask me bizarre questions rather simple ones like what I would do if someone was cheating and etc. I did reply to them the best I could. I also picked up the book you mentioned and practiced from that before I went in for the interview. I honestly go no straight reason as to why I was rejected except that I made a mistake somewhere in the interview. I was interviewed by  a PA and an MD. They told me to reapply and focus on the interview. What would you recommend or suggest doing? Thank you.

I went to pick up my Certificate of completion yesterday from the program. I was told that things might be changing this year & that alumni & guests may not be invited to the orientation dinner. When I had my orientation dinner, I was able to bring guests with me. I brought my mom, my sister & my son. However, that was when we had Mrs Gates as our program director. She was awesome!!! The new program director (I'm NOT a fan of hers at all), has decided to change things up & that may be something that she's planning on changing. If alumni are invited, I will definitely go, but if we are not allowed to attend, then I won't be allowed in. I'll let you know if I hear anything from them about it. Keep me updated if you hear anything.

Hey for some reason I'm still unable to send you a private message. Could you email me when you get a chance?

Yacosta815 thank you for your response. Honestly, they did not ask me bizarre questions rather simple ones like what I would do if someone was cheating and etc. I did reply to them the best I could. I also picked up the book you mentioned and practiced from that before I went in for the interview. I honestly go no straight reason as to why I was rejected except that I made a mistake somewhere in the interview. I was interviewed by  a PA and an MD. They told me to reapply and focus on the interview. What would you recommend or suggest doing? Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you call & speak to someone or did you go in for a discussion about why you were rejected? The new program director (I've mentioned before, I am NOT a fan of hers at all & neither was any of my classmates), has changed so many things. This was the first year that alumni were not invited to the orientation program for new students. Alumni have always been invited in the past. The program director is Mrs Horvath & she is a PA. The program also added a new didactic coordinator (which is the person that is in charge of your classroom portion of PA school). His name is Dr Joseph. He started once I was already in my clinical year so I didn't have much interaction with him, but he did seem nice. I know that he has been sitting in on a lot of the interviews, but like I said, I don't know him enough to know what he's looking for. I'm not sure if they were the ones that interviewed you or if it was other staff members. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the assessment of the interview to tell you what went wrong. If you haven't gone in to the program in person, I recommend doing so. Try sitting down with someone (try Ms Brown) to see if you can get more info as to what sunk your interview. Other than that, I recommend lots & lots of practice interviewing. Interview yourself. Have friends, family & co-workers interview you. If you are shadowing, have your mentor interview you. Search online to find other questions that have been asked at interviews. I was asked the basics (why PA vs MD vs NP, how will you financially support yourself, what kind of support system do you have, etc), but the majority of what I was asked was based off of my resume & application. I had Mrs Gates (the previous director) & 2 faculty members interview me.

"Calm down, you made it into a school with less than half the prerequisites as other programs and graduated without graduate level work unlike others from a graduate level program. So be more humble because you may have been able to pass your boards and become a PA, but you are not at the same level as the PA's whom graduated from a Master's program." - ihavequestions

What a douche. Many people from different schools and many people in the workforce would disagree. As you can see below, the NCCPA disagrees with you. Shut it and keep it moving.

NCCPA-2014-3.jpg

NYSSPA Medical Jeopardy PA Program Winners

Harlem Hospital

Harlem Hospital

Long Island University

Harlem Hospital

Harlem Hospital

Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University

Wagner College

Stony Brook University

Stony Brook University

Weill Cornell University

Stony Brook University

St. Vincent Catholic Medical Center

Weill Cornell University

St. John's University

Harlem Hospital

Pace University

Hofstra University

Harlem Hospital

Harlem Hospital

Stony Brook University

AAPA Challenge Bowl WInners

2014 Miami-Dade College

2013 Stanford University

2012 Nova Southeastern-Jacksonville

2011 Mercer University

2010 DeSales University 

2009 DeSales University 

2008 DeSales University 

2007 Duke University 

2006 Midwestern University Illinois

2005 Quinnipiac University

2004 DeSales University

2003 Midwestern University

2002 DeSales University

2001 SUNY Stony Brook

2000 LeMoyne College

1999 Daemen College

1998 Rocky Mountain College

1997 St. Francis College

1996 Duquesne University PA Program

1995 College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific PA Program

1994 Brooklyn Hospital/L.I.U. PA Program

1993 Harlem Hospital PA Program

1992 Bowman Gray PA Program

1991 Harlem Hospital PA Program

This is yet another reason why I am a PROUD Sophie Davis Harlem PA Program graduate!!! I paid that other person no mind. I know what I accomplished. I got into PA school of my dreams, I passed my boards on the first attempt & I got a job that I love within 2 weeks of looking for a job. His/her opinion meant less to me that the crap you scrap off of the bottom of your shoe.

Thank you for having my back. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived