• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi jslapkoff, I will PM you.

We can go for the FB page. I don't have FB so someone else has to make it. I also agree that those interested can come hang with us (on FB and in person). That way we can keep in touch as much as possible and we can help, in whatever way, with your application next year.

That's what I have been doing - keeping in touch with present and past students and they helped me a lot.

Come on guys, let's start enjoying this process. Let's break the ice early, so we can start study groups and so forth from day 1

Hey Everyone!

I do not have a face book page either! But I would like to be kept in the loop and meet up with you guys before classes start. I will also PM you jslapkoff so that you can have my contact info. I completely agree with you MiJo, it is better to break the ice now. We all will be spending a lot of time together over the next two years, so we should get all the awkwardness out of the way. 

See you all in August (but hopefully sooner!)

Any current students have any advice/ recommended readings for those attending? Also, I've heard some say that the program consumes your life while others claim that they still have a good amount of free time for other things. What has been the experience of some ppl on the board who are currently attending or have graduated.

Guest sophiepa2015

Congrats to everyone accepted!! I will be attending the PA club meetings as I prepare my application for next year, so hopefully I get to meet some of you. Its going to a long, challenging journey but well worth it and you're all very deserving!! :)

To those of you accepted- does anyone know if sophie davis allows us to defer our acceptance (granted for a very legitimate reason)? And what the status might be for next year's Masters program...like if the GREs will be required?

Hey guys, I've been accepted to the program for this fall! Can someone send me the facebook link? Need to figure out living arrangements as well, would like it to be walking distance to campus, but I heard the dorms were overpriced and not good.

I believe that the people on the wait list must wait until after May 31st to hear from Sophie Davis since the accepted must pay $650 by the 31st to secure their seats. Their seats will be forfeited if paiement not posted by that date.

Hello everyone congratulation to all those accepted! And those that did not get in don't give up. I applied this cycle but unfortunately did not make it in. I was told that my interview did not go well but all my academic qualitfications were good. I would really like to reapply for the next cycle. Any suggestions on what I should do to improve my admission application? All comments would be appreciated. TIA

To all those that got accepted, congrats!!! Welcome to the Sophie family. You are in for quite the experience. You will be more stressed, tired, cranky, sleep-deprived, etc than you have ever been in the past. Your didactic year will be tough, but it will give you the foundation to succeed during your clinical year.

Here’s some advice from a Sophie alum who's been there & truly knows:

1) Friendships will form with most of your classmates & some of these friendships will dissolve. It's normal. Stress & anxiety affects people differently. No matter what, always remember that you are united as a cohort. NEVER throw any of your classmates under the bus because it will always come around & bite you in the ass. Trust me. I've seen it happen.

2) You will have some classmates that you will hardly ever talk to. Just because you are in class with someone all the time, doesn't mean that you have to be BFFs. You need to accept this. Don't take it personal if one of your classmates doesn't want to talk to you or stay after school to study with you. Invite them to join your study group even if they never stay after school. You never know, one day they may join you.

3) You may have a classmate that you don't like or don't get along with. It's ok to not be friends with everyone in your class. It's NOT ok to purposefully exclude them or talk negatively about them to your fellow classmates, professors, faculty or preceptors. It will NOT reflect well on you if you do so. Always conduct yourself professionally.

4) DON'T form cliques. I've seen it in my class & the class before & the class after. It undermines the unity of the class. Even if you don’t think the faculty will notice it, trust me, they will.

5) You will ALL have a class that you will struggle in. Just because you are kicking ass in one class or in one semester, doesn't mean that you will not have a class or a topic that no matter what, you just don't do well in. If you are doing well in one class, help out your classmates that are struggling. You never know, they might one day be the one helping you out in the class that you are struggling in. If you see someone struggling, help them out. Teaching a topic to a fellow classmate helps cement the concept in your head. By helping your classmate, you end up helping yourself as well. Plus, it’s good Karma.

6) ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS speak to the faculty, instructors & preceptors with respect. Even if they seem cool & down-to-earth, even if they dress casually, even if they talk to you in slang, even if they curse up a storm (this will happen when you are on rotations), even if they belittle you (once again, this happens on rotations), even if they make you mad, you must always speak to them professional & with the utmost level of respect. You never want to be viewed as a slang talking, disrespectful unprofessional. Never give them a reason to doubt your professionalism.

7) There will come a time when you will feel overwhelmed. You will feel like the workload is too much to take. You will feel like you can’t do it. You will snap at your family, your spouse, your significant other, your friends, your classmates, etc for the smallest things. You will feel depressed. You will doubt yourself & your ability. You will wonder if you made a mistake in joining this program. You will wonder if the faculty made a mistake in picking you because you think that you are not smart enough. You will think about dropping out from the program to avoid the stress. You will question yourself if becoming a PA is what you are really meant to do with your life.

This is completely normal. Even if when you are feeling at your lowest, know that everyone that has ever sat in that seat before you & everyone that will ever sit in that seat after you, will feel the same exact way. Just remind yourself (and your classmates), that the struggle is worth it. Trust me. Remind yourself that you went through a lot to get in. Remind yourself that you were chosen amongst many because the faculty believes that you have what it takes. If they have faith in you, so should you. Have faith in yourself.

8) Nobody in your life, your parents, your spouse, your significant other, your siblings, your children & not even your friends, will TRULY understand what you are going through…..unless they are in PA school or went through PA school. Trust me, PA school is unlike anything that you have ever done before. Initially, your family & friends will say that they understand, but after a few months, some of them will question why you need to stay in school so late studying every single night. Some will tell you that they were able to work & go to school & still had time to go out. Some will try to convince you to blow off studying for JUST one night to hang out with them. Don’t fault them. They miss you. But stay strong. When you slack off studying for JUST one day, it becomes easier to slack off another day & another day until you realize that you have not studied for a week. You worked too hard to get into PA school & are busting your butt to pass PA school to risk failing a class.

9) Realize that some relationships & friendships that you currently have may change & some may end. I was warned of this beforehand, but never thought it would happen to me. I now speak from experience. I have seen several marriages end during PA school, several relationships started with fellow classmates and more than several students with family problems stemming from their inability to go to every family function because of PA school. I personally have had a few of my friendships end because they just couldn’t understand that I couldn’t hang out every weekend like I used to. If this happens to you, don’t fight it. Don’t compromise what you are working so hard to accomplish in order to maintain that friendship. Accept it & realize that this is a great way to see who your real friends were all along.

10) If you fail a class, it’s not the end of the world. Every class will lose a few. You won’t be the first. You won’t be the last. My class (class of 2015) had students that were from the previous year (class of 2014). My class also lost a few along the way & they are now part of the class of 2016. The class of 2017 has students from the class of 2016. Your class will have a few repeating students from the 2017 class. The 2019 class will have a few repeating students from your class. If you fail, you will have to sit out for a year & rejoin the following year. Use that time wisely. Study. Not only the class that you failed, but the other classes that you were supposed to take as well. That way when you come back, you have at least the basic fundamentals of everything & the classroom lectures will help with the stuff that you didn’t understand.

11) Trust in the faculty. They may seem scary & unapproachable and sometimes they can be, but they are here for you. They are your advocates. While you shouldn’t go to them with simple things that you can figure out of your own, you SHOULD go to them if you are ever having a serious problem. Go to them if you are worried about failing a class BEFORE you actually fail the class. They will help you out, whether if it’s by helping you evaluate the way you study or helping you set up good study habits or whether it’s pointing out additional resources/books/study guides that will help you out. Trust in them. They only want the best for you. They want you to succeed & do well since you will be representing the Sophie PA program.

When my class started, we started in the beginning of July. However, last year's class was the first class to start at the beginning of the fall semester (end of August). I think that's how it's going to be set up going forward. I am awaiting notification from the school as to when your orientation will be held. I will do my best to attend & wish you all the best in person. Once again, congrats to all those that were accepted. To those that were wait-listed or who were not accepted, keep the faith. Work hard on improving your application by shadowing or taking courses to make yourself an even better candidate next year. Best of luck.

Woohoo!!! Just checked my email!!! Got offered a seat as well! I will definitely be attending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sooooo happy that you got in!!! I remember talking with you last cycle. I'm so glad that you got it. Congrats!! If I'm able to go to the orientation, I would love to say congrats in person. What is your name so that I can find you if I am able to go?

Hello Yacosta815,

Just want to acknowledge you for taking your time a sharing your experience with us. I have not been accepted however, I am on the wait list and still keeping my fingers crossed. In the meantime I registered for a summer Inorganic Chemistry 1 course at my local community college and brushing up on my anatomy and Physiology.

Hello Yacosta815,

Just want to acknowledge you for taking your time a sharing your experience with us. I have not been accepted however, I am on the wait list and still keeping my fingers crossed. In the meantime I registered for a summer Inorganic Chemistry 1 course at my local community college and brushing up on my anatomy and Physiology.

Hello Pa2Be516. Keep your head up. At least 2 people have decided to decline their seats which means that 2 people will be called off of the wait list. I have no idea what criteria they use to determine who gets called off the list, but I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I think it's a great idea that you decided to take additional courses. I took organic chem in my undergraduate. You will see very, very, very little of it in PA school. Physiology & pharmacology are the 2 main classes that many students have problems with. Many of the students that fail & have to repeat the following year stem from failing one of these 2 courses. If you can switch your inorganic chem to a physio or pharm class, I think that would help benefit you more in the long run.

I am sooooo happy that you got in!!! I remember talking with you last cycle. I'm so glad that you got it. Congrats!! If I'm able to go to the orientation, I would love to say congrats in person. What is your name so that I can find you if I am able to go?

Thanks so much!!!! My name is Samanta Erzen. I'd love to meet you if you're able to make it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived