your stethoscope of choice?

I like the classic 2 se. I have 3 of them, one in each lab coat. the lt wt seems, well TOO light weight, you don't feel it in your lab coat pocket so easy to leave it somewhere and not know it's gone. whatever you get , spend a few extra bucks and get the integral name tag option.

I had a Welch Allen Harvey elite that was a gift from my mentor. Used it throughout school and first few years of practice until my hearing loss and now I use a Littman 3100 electronic. I still prefer the sound quality of my old Welch Allen (what I can remember) compared to the 3100 but I can hardly hear with the Harvey so it's the 3100 for me.

I have a cardiology 2 SE that I got in school 21 years ago. I never use it except on medical missions because it is too heavy and I would prefer to lose it than one of my classic 2 SEs, which are 1/3rd the price but almost as good.

I have the littman cardio II with the black on black finish.  Love it, and yeh it is heavier then the usual stethoscope but I'm a 6'2" 260lb male nurse so i gotta overcompensate.....

Thank you for your prompt responses! 

There are no biases towards colored stethoscopes, right? As long as it's tasteful and doesn't have ladybugs and rhinestones all over it? 

Wutthechris- I LOVE slickdeals! TY!

I'd say so long as you can hear what you need to hear, there's no bias.  Functionality over form

Thank you for your prompt responses!

There are no biases towards colored stethoscopes, right? As long as it's tasteful and doesn't have ladybugs and rhinestones all over it?

Wutthechris- I LOVE slickdeals! TY!

I have bright pink, and I love it!

It would be even better if it had sparkle. :)

I treat it as my jewelry-accessory!

Guest MedLib42

My school recommended we splurge on a good cardio scope like the Littman III, saying having a better quality scope would make it easier for our uneducated ears to pick up subtle sounds, and I have to say I agree. I would up buying the Littman Cardio III, which I love. My second choice was the ADC Cardiology - sound is comparable, and they offer a lightweight version. 

• 1 month later...

Newer Littmann scopes allow for simulation of the bell with extra applied pressure while having only a diaphragm. You need a bell effect for diastolic regurg murmurs (if you really care to hear them). It has been my observation that you have to expect to hear one to actually do so, and that was tenets plus years ago when I was young and could hear better. Some might argue that you need a bell for carotid bruits but the experts can't unequivocally decide if a bell or diaphragm is best. I use a classic, but for the most part it doesn't matter since most I would bet couldn't tell you off the top of their heads what differentiates a 1-6 murmur.

Archived