New York Times Article: "The Physician Assistant Will See You"

Article said: Another reason [student's reasoning for choosing PA over MD]: “Doctors just seem to be running all the time, all day long.”

Huh, what? And PAs aren't running all the time, all day long?

Article said: Dr. Prakash Masand, a psychiatrist in New York City and C.E.O. of Global Medical Education, an online medical education resource, is a critic of their increasing role in mental health care while receiving only 6 to 12 weeks of psychiatric training in school. “This is one of the reasons misdiagnoses, underdiagnoses and the over-prescription of antidepressants have flooded the mental health system,” he said. “Until P.A.s receive more specialized training, they shouldn’t handle patients who need a much more experienced doctor.”

Do NPs have any more "specialized" training in psych over PAs? I honestly don't know...

Article said: Dr. Houtan Chaboki, a plastic surgeon in Washington, D.C., points to a growing trend of Botox injections and laser treatments being performed by physician assistants. “They might be under physician supervision, but the physician may not even be in the room,” he said. “They may just be reviewing the chart afterward.”

Do MDs really need to be "in the room" with a PA performing Botox or laser treatments? Ugh.

Important: “We’re all challenged to recognize some new truths,” he said. “I was a solo family physician in a small town called Trenton, Ga., and there’s a badge of honor about that. But the reality is that no one in our current health care system is truly solo or truly independent anymore.”

"Think of it. No M.C.A.T., no residency, two years of professional school and you’re out making $100,000 a year."...Commence the 50,000 extra kids applying to PA schools. :)

Edit: I dislike this article immensely now, as the original printed subtitle was: "The Doctor's Helper". Lame.

Taken as a whole, the NYT Education Life edition devoted three articles to alternative educational avenues in medicine:  DO, PA, and the international MD route.  So we are included as an avenue to practicing medicine which is significant.   The article was written in typical newspaper style with the first and last sections being positive and upbeat and the middle section featuring critics.  They call this balance I think!  I felt the tone of it was as positive as the DO article and the one focusing on St. Georges.  

Article said: Another reason [student's reasoning for choosing PA over MD]: “Doctors just seem to be running all the time, all day long.”

Huh, what? And PAs aren't running all the time, all day long?

Article said: Dr. Prakash Masand, a psychiatrist in New York City and C.E.O. of Global Medical Education, an online medical education resource, is a critic of their increasing role in mental health care while receiving only 6 to 12 weeks of psychiatric training in school. “This is one of the reasons misdiagnoses, underdiagnoses and the over-prescription of antidepressants have flooded the mental health system,” he said. “Until P.A.s receive more specialized training, they shouldn’t handle patients who need a much more experienced doctor.”

Do NPs have any more "specialized" training in psych over PAs? I honestly don't know...

Yes. Though I agree with your tone (this doctor is clearly fear mongering).

Interesting read and fairly balance. The profession needs more of this article. It keeps us in the spotlight. Overall, I would say that I was very impressed and pleased with the content of the article. 

NY Times --> "If somebody comes in with a simple toothache, we can manage that on our own."

Seriously!?  How about the PA teaching the PGY-2 how to place a central line, or tap a joint, or the PA managing complex acute care patients in the ICU, or the rural solo ED provider intubating and running codes, or the  CT PA who harvests vessels independently.  I could go on and on!  Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills.  A toothache?  Good to know I am sacrificing years of my life and countless hours of training to be able to manage a toothache.  The level of disconnect between what PAs are actually doing in the trenches and how we are portrayed to the public is abysmal.  This article is a Joke.  Just because it doesn't openly denounce us doesn't mean the author is doing us any favors.

NY Times --> "If somebody comes in with a simple toothache, we can manage that on our own."

Seriously!? How about the PA teaching the PGY-2 how to place a central line, or tap a joint, or the PA managing complex acute care patients in the ICU, or the rural solo ED provider intubating and running codes, or the CT PA who harvests vessels independently. I could go on and on! Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills. A toothache? Good to know I am sacrificing years of my life and countless hours of training to be able to manage a toothache. The level of disconnect between what PAs are actually doing in the trenches and how we are portrayed to the public is abysmal. This article is a Joke. Just because it doesn't openly denounce us doesn't mean the author is doing us any favors.

I saw that too. But remember that is not the article writer saying that, it's a quote from a PA!

These are PA-Cs and PA students giving these terrible quotes. Maybe it's a symptom of where they interviewed them, idk.

Obviously they are not coming to the workplaces of many vocal board members here to get their sound bites. Get out there and preach guys and gals!

Seriously!? How about the PA teaching the PGY-2 how to place a central line, or tap a joint, or the PA managing complex acute care patients in the ICU, or the rural solo ED provider intubating and running codes, or the CT PA who harvests vessels independently. I could go on and on! Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills. A toothache? Good to know I am sacrificing years of my life and countless hours of training to be able to manage a toothache. The level of disconnect between what PAs are actually doing in the trenches and how we are portrayed to the public is abysmal. This article is a Joke. Just because it doesn't openly denounce us doesn't mean the author is doing us any favors.

I must say that I did not agreed with some of the comments in the article. However, given some of the bad press about PAs in the past. I would say that overall, the article was fairly written. Believe me, I can go on and on outlining comments in these article that I found unacceptable. But then again, in retrospect, it wasn't that bad a press.

The article wasn't that bad. I am sure some of you had read worst articles about the PA profession, unfortunately. Keep in mind, not all of us will feel fully satisfied with the way we are being represented (even in a "positive" article), we'll always feel like there are much more to add/say.

Thing is, we as a group need to reach out to these media outlets and spread the words ourselves about what we, or our colleagues, do on a daily basis. This generation is more "plugged in" than any previous generations, so why don't we use the internet to reach where we cannot physically? I am talking about using youtube, tweeter et al. 

There are a lot of people using youtube, we should do the same, i.e, having people (PAs) come over and film little series about different parts of the profession and more.

Has any of you seen those "a day in the life..." youtube videos? Does anyone here has the time and means to create one? That'd be good.

---

side note: I may be wrong here but here's what I sometime think...

There are a lot more nurses than us and they have been around for longer than us. My point is, the people who "make things happen" probably share relationships with nurses, and that is where they have some leverage. :P  32.gif

Article said: Dr. Houtan Chaboki, a plastic surgeon in Washington, D.C., points to a growing trend of Botox injections and laser treatments being performed by physician assistants. “They might be under physician supervision, but the physician may not even be in the room,” he said. “They may just be reviewing the chart afterward.”

[wquote]

Maybe he's ticked off because of all the negative press about FMGs

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

There is another article in the NYT that is generating plenty of attention, and the comment section is presently still open.  The article is regarding shortening medical school, and there are many references to PAs (in comments) in case someone desires to add to this discussion:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/education/edlife/the-drawn-out-medical-degree.html?action=click&contentCollection=Education%20Life&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

There is another article in the NYT that is generating plenty of attention, and the comment section is presently still open. The article is regarding shortening medical school, and there are many references to PAs (in comments) in case someone desires to add to this discussion:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/education/edlife/the-drawn-out-medical-degree.html?action=click&contentCollection=Education%20Life&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

Seems that this article makes the case for PAs: Less time in school, same outcomes. PA students typically start out with a more focused biomedical background and more medical experience than MD students so as med schools reduce the length of study, MD and PA education become roughly equivalent. So, if PAs add a residency, how different are they from MDs. And five years out, how much difference in competency is there, really?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Seriously!?  How about the PA teaching the PGY-2 how to place a central line, or tap a joint, or the PA managing complex acute care patients in the ICU, or the rural solo ED provider intubating and running codes, or the  CT PA who harvests vessels independently.  I could go on and on!  Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills.  A toothache?  Good to know I am sacrificing years of my life and countless hours of training to be able to manage a toothache.  The level of disconnect between what PAs are actually doing in the trenches and how we are portrayed to the public is abysmal.  This article is a Joke.  Just because it doesn't openly denounce us doesn't mean the author is doing us any favors.

write a comment to the article. everyone should who knows better

In case none of you caught it, the original title of this article in print is noted at the bottom of the website. 

"A version of this article appears in print on August 3, 2014, on page ED20 of Education Life with the headline: In Demand: The Doctor’s Helper"

In case none of you caught it, the original title of this article in print is noted at the bottom of the website.

"A version of this article appears in print on August 3, 2014, on page ED20 of Education Life with the headline: In Demand: The Doctor’s Helper"

Yeah, that title did not appear on the online version of the article. Hmmm.

PAs aren't elves scurrying around in Santa's workshop. The Doctor's Helper? Gross.

^^^ I'd be okay with the title: The Doctor's Companion. As long as said Doctor was a Time Lord and I got to travel about the cosmos in a little blue police box.

PS, it's bigger on the inside.

oh no, not you too. my kids are all over Dr Who. last xmas was Dr Who themed , we have a tardis in our fish tank, etc.

Archived