Notes: Pencil and Paper or Laptop?

In part, it probably depends heavily on your typing skills and whatever has worked for you in the past.

Personally, I always liked pen and paper. I can jot notes, make charts, sketch anatomy and processes, do some concept mapping, etc which I would not be able to easily do on computer (although a tablet might work).  

I can't quote a source, but I have also heard it said in education circles that there is a benefit to writing notes by hand over typing. The mechanics of writing stimulates your brain a little more intensely than punching keys.

Good luck!

In the end it depends on what you prefer (and what generation you are in) but if your program doesn't print the presentations for you, I highly suggest a good, lightweight laptop, preferably with a touchscreen. I would probably have a few thousand pages of slides printed by this point, and I'm only half way through the first year. 

There is definitely an advantage to writing, but I'd suggest just using a notebook if that's what you want. I use those when I take notes from my reading or jot down things I want to make sure I remember for an exam. 

I do a hybrid, but mostly I keep things electronic. My institution's library is electronic, so everything I need for my didactic year is accessible on my laptop (and many cases my tablet.) I'll use pen and paper to draw diagrams on the fly, but end up scanning them or electronically drawing them later. Sometimes, my faculty scans handouts and makes those available. The greatest advantage I have with this set-up is that I have access to all my notes and resources in a mobile, 20 lb package. This is convenient when I have to reference something from a previous class, which happens often.

Be careful with note taking. There's so much info people often miss things because they are busy writing/typing. If your school records the lecture, I would suggest not doing anything and just focusing your attention on the lecture and asking as many questions as needed. Then you can revisit the lecture later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think about what note-taking system would allow you to condense your notes most efficiently.  Whether it's a concept map, concept map software(iBlueSky, Total Recall, SimpleMind), a 6-point outline (1.Basics;2. Patho/Etiology;3. Presentation/PE;4. Diagnostics;5. Tx; 6. Prevention), charts, note cards or a mix of each, these will all come in handy during finals week.

For me, I felt that there was so much material, i could not imagine trying to listen to all the lectures a SECOND time on tape/device. The power point presentations gave us key information and our own notes were a way to make a key word or anything really, that connected your memory to the material. Then putting it electronic format was great for material reveiw, typed all the notes into short sentences as a method for studying the lecture. Then easy reference. Just about one time over each lecture took all the time there was. Lecture from 8-4 or up to 6 pm sometimes. Rarely had more than 4-5 days between lectures before testing. Sometimes 1 week for very long sessions. Never reveiwed in class, questions limited for lectures. Combo is good.

I try not to write that much.  I take the Power Points (just about every program teaches with PPT) and type notes at the bottom during lecture.  When I am home, I cross reference the material with my reference books and make notes on the main points.  For CMS I use Harrison's and Ferri's Clinical Adviser (quick reference).  For other courses I just go with the recommended text.

From talking with a couple of friends of mine who are in other schools and my own observations, I was surprised about how few people actually look at the references.  While PPT has made it pretty easy to sum up topics and present, it does not replace the act of looking something up an reading about it.  There is a definite difference in the level of understanding in the folks who just use the PPT's and those who look it up.  The PPT's will help you pass the test but your references will help you understand.  Of my soapbox.

A decent laptop (I have a cheap one that works just fine) should be all you need.  Pen and paper only if you prefer, otherwise type your notes at the bottom the PPT.  Read the REFERENCES!

Congrats and good luck.

This is a question that has no right answer. Everyone learns differently, so you'll get different answers. Personally I never took notes; I just don't learn that way. I listened, asked questions and read a lot. Try something, if it works keep it. If it doesn't toss it and try something else. Goodluck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was always a writing man during undergrad but that soon changed when I started PA school due to the large amounts of information and just not being able to keep up with writing it all. I switched over to typing notes at the bottom of the PPT and then of course reading the books and highlighting information and transferring that into PPT notes so I had it all in one place. Seems to be working so far. 

I prefer paper and pen, when I write things they stick better. But lately our program stopped printing stuff for us to save on paper, and I don't have a printer at home and I don't want to pay to print on campus so I'm slowly switching to typing things up. So far it hasn't made a difference for me.

i currently attend stony brook. all of our lectures are ppt format, and they are uploaded for us before each lecture. i am in my 30's so my undergrad was purely pen and paper 15 years ago.  for me, transitioning to electronic note taking was a little hard at first, but i can't possibly imagine doing it any other way. the volume of material covered each day would give me writers cramp within the first hour if i were writing. i take notes directly on the ppts and then when i go home and study, i find it helpful to do flashcards, or write out a few things in outline format or whatever helps me learn. i don't have the time to listen to lectures again, so paying attention in class and taking good notes is key.  in my opinion, i would miss a lot of what is being presented if i had to write notes down. i sometimes struggle to keep up while typing during some lectures!

however, do what works best for you.  some of my classmates furiously type outlines during the lectures, and it works for them.  i find it beneficial for me to sit and listen and only take notes when i feel it's important or need to look up something later.

Archived