Show aapa a little love

Could not agree more!

They are getting out there and pushing for us

I just got my AAPA renewal and with all the action going on right now with the Affordable Care Act and the state level issues that the AAPA is really trying to push forward on I am going send the PAC an extra $50.

We are truly at a cross roads for the ENTIRE profession - if we do not get out ahead of the changes in the pipeline we are going to be become history - this takes $$ and honestly $50 is not much....

I have been one fo the biggest nay sayers of AAPA in the past, but they are trying hard and working hard - time will tell

This is great! With some serious threats to the profession looming ahead it is awesome to get a response like this from the AAPA. I especially like their response to the AAFP. I hope that a sleeping giant has been awakened. This is what NPs have been doing all along and it is time for PAs to step up.

We need to aggressively, but tactfully defend the profession. It starts with improving general public perception and understanding, and translating the benefits of utilizing PAs to lawmakers. I believe that half the battle would be won if everyone understood the rigorous education and skill-set that a PA acquires, as well as the fact that it is a cost-effective way to provide quality medical care and achieve positive patient outcomes.

... and replace "assistant" with "associate". Back to the original title please. I believe that simple change would go a long way.

"Back to the original title"?????

When was our "original" title ever "physician associate"?? Dr. Stead, the "father" of our profession, called us physician assistants.

Taken from the PA Historical Society:

Kaiser Permanente becomes the first HMO to employ PAs.

A consortium of PA programs establishes the American Registry of Physicians’ Associates (ARPA).  It is incorporated in NC to grant and issue certificates to graduates of approved programs or others who can "demonstrate by examination" that they possess the knowledge and skills of a graduate of an approved program.

http://www.pahx.org/period02.html

http://pahx.org/node/356?fid=538

From AAPA:

What other names have been proposed for physician assistants?

In medical literature and in the media, there are many names that have been used interchangeably with “physician assistant”: non-physician provider, physician extender, mid-level provider, healthcare practitioner.

However, the official name has been debated throughout the history of the profession. The main contender to replace “physician assistant” has been “physician associate.” During the early days of the profession, many of the most prominent programs were “physician associate” programs. Many people, including educators, physicians and regulators, influenced the profession’s name. Eventually, the title “physician assistant” gained general acceptance.

Sorry to hijack your threat E.  I"m glad that AAPA finally seems to be getting their act together on the legal front.  I have a feeling this is simply a result of the "competition" for our membership that has occured with the creation of PAFT.

But I will never become a member of AAPA until they publicly apologize to Dr. Ben Carson for caving in to the liberal bullies and rescinding his keynote speech. 

Sorry to hijack your threat E.  I"m glad that AAPA finally seems to be getting their act together on the legal front.  I have a feeling this is simply a result of the "competition" for our membership that has occured with the creation of PAFT.

But I will never become a member of AAPA until they publicly apologize to Dr. Ben Carson for caving in to the liberal bullies and rescinding his keynote speech. 

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Liberals never apologize, they just attack anyone who dares to disagree with them. No support here for them.

p.s.  Keep the political ****-measuring out of this thread, please

An interesting characterization of the two comments.  Not exactly what was occurring.  Well, the former comment was perhaps a bit "****-measurish."

Regardless, I agree.  The "****-measuring" should really be kept to a strict minimum, political or otherwise.

and the reason for the foul language? are those using the foul language acting professionally? i think not.  on another note i see no reason to show the AAPA some love "money", I would like to see what they are doing for the PA that is out in the field working. What is their plan? What are they doing for us? what do they plan on changing and how do they plan on changing it? i would rather my money go to PAFT until AAPA proves otherwise. competition is necesssary for best outcome. we should have a choice of representative organizations.

The reason to donate to AAPA?

We only have a very brief window of opportunity to get this done on the first pass

If we do not get it done on the first pass will will suffer years of trying to catch up

Seriously  $50 is not much but if a lot of us did this it would make a difference (I hope) and if not atleast we tried....

If we fail...... well that is not good.....

Yes it is a risk, but $50 is not much to risk for a PA is it?

The AAPA has been working hard for years. The big moves you are seeing lately do not happen overnight. I'm glad to hear some of you are supporting the AAPA now. But please try not to trivialize the hard, largely volunteer, efforts of the last several years that have led to the public changes that make headlines.

JMPA, I encourage you to do a little research and compare accomplishments of representative organizations before you decide where to put your money. What affects the PA "out in the field"? Legislation. Ask yourself who has had the most face time with Congress and the Senate and other parties determining our laws.

The AAPA has been working hard for years. The big moves you are seeing lately do not happen overnight. I'm glad to hear some of you are supporting the AAPA now. But please try not to trivialize the hard, largely volunteer, efforts of the last several years that have led to the public changes that make headlines.

JMPA, I encourage you to do a little research and compare accomplishments of representative organizations before you decide where to put your money. What affects the PA "out in the field"? Legislation. Ask yourself who has had the most face time with Congress and the Senate and other parties determining our laws.

I support the idea that AAPA has done well recently

But lets not get ahead of ourselves.... they have failed horribly in the past (ir leaving PA out of incentive $$ for EMR - wow that was a HUGE FAIL - that I believe the upper management of AAPA should have been FIRED over)

They are trying now, they need to try harder - and this is a once in a lifetime chance so we have to get behind them......  if they fail this time, I will never again support them.....

I really think our title should be changed to Medical Practitioner. And avoid the word physician that AMA is always annoyed about. As medical practitioners we practice medicine and we collaborate with the physician on severe complicated cases. I also think we should join together with nurse practitioners to form one medical practitioner body. They give up the nursing model and adapt a medical model and we benefit from their lobbying force.  And make the program a two year with an optional 1 year residency and graduates get a doctorate of medical practice. And that's the key for our profession to grow. Its the strength of the lobbying force and that comes with numbers as well as money. Even if AAPA wants to get aggressive it lacks the lobbying force as well as it ability to confront AMA (which nurses do all time).

I really think out titles should be changed to Medical Practitioners. And avoid the word physician that AMA is always annoyed about. As medical practitioners we practice medicine and we collaborate with the physician with severe complicated cases. I also think we should join together with nurse practitioners to form one medical practitioner body. They give up the nursing model and we benefit with their lobbying force.  And make the program a two year with an optional 1 year residency and graduates get a doctorate of medical practice. And that's key for our profession to grow. Its strength of the lobbying force and that's comes with number as well as money. Even if AAPA wants to get aggressive it lacks lobbying force as well as it ability to confront AMA (which nurses do all time).

Changing the name to Medical Practitioner would still leave us with some of the commonly cited reasons for not changing, including difficulty in getting the language changed in all currently existing legislation, and leaving the title PA to someone else to snatch up and use.  I do like Medical Practitioner though.

The nurses, in my view, would never wish to join together.  They are powerful and having legislative success as things are right now, not to mention they are independent of medical boards.  Why would they mess with that?  They are nurses; to give up the nursing model would suggest that model is inferior.

Us benefitting from their lobbying force might be good for us but doesn't do them much good.  True, if all PAs joined that lobbying effort it would be even stronger, but that would be a complicated undertaking.

With regard to the optional 1 year residency, I assume you mean those completing that residency would get the doctorate, while the 2 year program would remain a Masters?  Would there be enough residency slots for all those who decide to pursue that option?  And I think quite a few would choose that option.  Also, bear in mind that there are already, and soon to be more I assume, MD programs that are 3 years.  It's true that MD programs still require additional residency time, but as has been mentioned before, the closer the requirements between PA and MD programs become, the less advantageous PA programs become.

Do you foresee all the schools changing to one standard Medical Practitioner curricula (you mentioned nurses giving up the nursing model), or do the curricula remain essentially the same but qualify NPs and PAs for one single Medical Practitioner exam?  The latter might be the better way to go.

Apparently, what seems like a simple thing (changing Physician Assistant to Physician Associate) turns out to be quite complicated.  I can't imagine the complications that would be involved with trying to join NPs and PAs.  But you never know!

But lets not get ahead of ourselves.... they have failed horribly in the past (ir leaving PA out of incentive $$ for EMR - wow that was a HUGE FAIL - that I believe the upper management of AAPA should have been FIRED over)

They are trying now, they need to try harder - and this is a once in a lifetime chance so we have to get behind them......  if they fail this time, I will never again support them.....

I totally agree with this assessment that this was a major failure.  For a practice like mine, where 95% of the patients are seen by a PA, it translates into all the requirements of attestation and the stick but virtually no carrot.  I personally lost $40,000 (out-of-my-pocket) over this oversight.  However, I'm open to acts of redemption.  After being out in the cold for many years, I did rejoin my state society and have been a member for the past two years.  This was based on some very good things they have done.  I'm poised to rejoin the AAPA as soon as they set a good path. I was about to join them two years ago when this HITECH failure happened. 

you cannot "join" PAs and nps. one practices nursing and is schooled in nursing, the other mediciene and is schooled in medicine. do we so easily forget the basics. the term medical practitioner is stupid, physical therapists, midwives, accupunturests, pharmacists, are medical practitioners.

I totally agree with this assessment that this was a major failure.  For a practice like mine, where 95% of the patients are seen by a PA, it translates into all the requirements of attestation and the stick but virtually no carrot.  I personally lost $40,000 (out-of-my-pocket) over this oversight.  However, I'm open to acts of redemption.  After being out in the cold for many years, I did rejoin my state society and have been a member for the past two years.  This was based on some very good things they have done.  I'm poised to rejoin the AAPA as soon as they set a good path. I was about to join them two years ago when this HITECH failure happened.

how did you do the attestation? I am seeing 100% of the patients but want to avoid the 2% penalty......

It's fine to take issue with actions in the past. Note that the top position at the AAPA (CEO) did recently change.

You will only support them if they show (flawless?) results, but they can't show results without support.

I find the logic a bit silly. No person or organization is perfect. If all PAs adopted this line of thinking, we wouldn't get anywhere. Getting involved and helping shape the mission of the AAPA would be much more effective than pulling support and crossing your fingers that all goes well.

I understand that some of you have a history with the AAPA. But the AAPA-bashing from those who have never been involved is a bit of a head-scratcher for me. 

At any rate, I commend the positive tone and hope that 2014 is a year of progress for the profession.

"If you aren't at the table, you are on the menu."

Archived