Show aapa a little love

how quickly/conveniently one forgets that petition for name change that was signed by thousands of active/practicing PAs which was ignored by aapa. yes i expect results for my money, just as results are expected from me when i work. i want to have transparency on what the aapa represents.

how did you do the attestation? I am seeing 100% of the patients but want to avoid the 2% penalty......

The same way anyone does it with a certified EHRn (http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Legislation/EHRIncentivePrograms/RegistrationandAttestation.html ).  They allow and expect PAs to attest but rather than giving you 44 thousand for the pain in the butt, you don't get a single dime because the payments are based on a percentage of Medicare payments made to a MD, DO, DC, NP . . .  but not PAs. So it is a  huge amount of work with no reward except avoiding the 2% penalty.  I know that there are exceptions where you don't have to attest and still avoid the penalty but I can't remember what those exceptions are based on.  

Now, the caveat is that we attest under my SP's NPI, HOWEVER, they require all my numbers to be included but the payments are ONLY based on the physician's income.  

Here is where we got screwed.  Notice who gets the payments.  PAs only get the payments if they own an official Rural Health Clinic, everyone else gets the incentive just for seeing patients.

Eligible professionals under the Medicare EHR Incentive Program include: Eligible professionals under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program include: Doctor of medicine or osteopathy Physicians (primarily doctors of medicine and doctors of osteopathy) Doctor of dental surgery or dental medicine Nurse practitioner Doctor of podiatry Certified nurse-midwife Doctor of optometry Dentist Chiropractor Physician assistant who furnishes services in a Federally Qualified Health Center of Rural Health Clinic that is led by a physician assistant.

The AAPA entered into the conservative - liberal political war by dis-inviting Dr. Carson to the AAPA conference to personally receive his PARAGON award. 

Businesses, organizations, associations, and even politicians CAN stay out of this political war if they choose to just focus on their job.  A&E could have stayed out it by simply saying "Phil was voicing his opinion", and just kept showing TV shows (and kept their #1 show!).  Cracker Barrel could have stayed out of it by simply saying "Phil was voicing his opinion", and just kept on cooking dinners for people.  Instead they decided to bully a conservative voice/opinion.  I won't eat at Cracker Barrel again.  (BTW - I'm not a Duck Dynasty fan, I always thought the show was stupid....but I support their ability to voice their opinion in America without a bunch of bullies trying to silence them).

Same thing with AAPA.  They could have stayed OUT of the political war by simply having Dr. Carson come, accept his PARAGON award, and give a little speech about how great he and his PA work together.  Instead THEY willingly entered the fray, and as a consequence of this they lost any of my money and support, EVER, until they publicly apologize to him (which I doubt will ever happen). 

There are happenings in my country that are much more important the success/failure of this little profession...

The AAPA entered into the conservative - liberal political war by dis-inviting Dr. Carson to the AAPA conference to personally receive his PARAGON award. 

Businesses, organizations, associations, and even politicians CAN stay out of this political war if they choose to just focus on their job.  A&E could have stayed out it by simply saying "Phil was voicing his opinion", and just kept showing TV shows (and kept their #1 show!).  Cracker Barrel could have stayed out of it by simply saying "Phil was voicing his opinion", and just kept on cooking dinners for people.  Instead they decided to bully a conservative voice/opinion.  I won't eat at Cracker Barrel again.  (BTW - I'm not a Duck Dynasty fan, I always thought the show was stupid....but I support their ability to voice their opinion in America without a bunch of bullies trying to silence them).

Same thing with AAPA.  They could have stayed OUT of the political war by simply having Dr. Carson come, accept his PARAGON award, and give a little speech about how great he and his PA work together.  Instead THEY willingly entered the fray, and as a consequence of this they lost any of my money and support, EVER, until they publicly apologize to him (which I doubt will ever happen). 

There are happenings in my country that are much more important the success/failure of this little profession...

old news, my friend.

we all have different opinions, I do not think any national Corporation or agency on someone with strong opinions in any direction speaking on their behalf.  That is not what this thread is about.

I saw this on Medscape today.  It's a succinct little plug for NPs by an NP at CHOP.  Perhaps Medscape has done these for PAs too, I'm not sure, but I think it would be nice to see one periodically to keep PAs in people's faces.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/817995_1

Interestingly, she uses PhD as her only credential, at least here on this video.

And she states there are no limitations to the types of patients or problems she can see.  Does that mean PhD NPs are at the same level as a physician.  I think that's what she means. 

The term "original" only has one meaning.  Our "original" term was physician assistant.  Many people have tried, and still try, to change this, but the "original" term was physician assistant.  To say anything otherwise is factually wrong, or possibly disingenuous. 

Quoting Andrew J. Rodican, PA-C, directly from his book that I used to prepare for my PA school interviews, "In 1965, the profession's original name was physician associate, and the name change occurred only as a result of some concerns by physicians". That was on page 86 of How to Ace The Physician Assistant School Interview.

So if I am mistaken, you can understand why.

On an interesting side note, this same author was also involved in the Yale University Physician Associate Program (which it is still called today).

Archived