BMT position salary question

Hello everyone,

I have been working as a hospitalist for 1 year at a Manhattan hospital.  I was approached by an attending in BMT that asked how they could go about finding a PA to work in such a specialized area.  Well, I threw my name into the hat.  I recently interviewed with the head of the department and will go for round 2 of interviews next week.  I have a really good feeling about this opportunity and feel that it may lead to an offer soon.  Here's the stats on my current position:  salary $78K, 28 days PTO, NO CME, NO ANNUAL RAISES, opportunity to moonlight.  I have 1 year experience as a hospitalist (with a little experience in hematology/oncology), what would be a reasonable salary offer?  I understand I can negotiate (say, if they don't give me the salary that I feel is right, can negotiate for CME money or more PTO, off holidays, etc..) .  What should I ask for?  This will be my 2nd job out of school.  Oh, and this job is a transfer.  I would still be working at the same hospital.

Thanks for your help!

Andrea

And I live in Brooklyn, practice in NYC!  I cannot believe how low the salaries are here compared to the cost of living! I am originally from Detroit and was offered a job there prior to graduation making more $$ there than here in NYC.  I don't get that...anyways,  I just had my 1 year anniversary here at this hospital (and it is my first job out of PA school as well).  Where can I find accurate salary info for someone in my position?  I want to be able to negotiate a great package, with back up numbers.  Most of the websites out there give the "median" salary, but I'm not sure I fall into that category with my 1 year experience. 

AAPA has an old salary report from a couple years ago or so.  You can access it for free if you're a member of AAPA.  Also, more importantly, they are supposed to have one out soon.  Supposedly before the end of this year.  It's fairly comprehensive.

There's also this...

http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Web-Extras/Online-Extras/National-Salary-Report-2012.aspx

Good luck with your negotiations.  Get what you deserve!

agree with ventana:

90k, full benefits, retirement, cme, etc

6-8 weeks pto sounds really high. I once got that but had been at that place for 8 years.

3 weeks pto is pretty standard. I currently get 2 and have been at my current job 12 years. we do have flexible scheduling though so I can really schedule myself off anytime as long as I work enough shifts that month and over the course of the year.

Archived