LECOM Bridge change

You have to commit to a osteo residency, not primary care. You can do it in whatever specialty you like as long as its AOA approved. They have EM, anesthesia, surgery, ect. They don't have everything, but most things.

A DO FM salary is the same as a MD salary, and yes it's enough. People like to cry over how little they are paid, and they are underpaid compared to specialties, but they make out just fine.

wooohoooo!! great step LECOM!!!! maybe the proposed bridge program in Yakima will follow in their steps!!! ....It would still be hard for me to land a Cards fellowship with an osteopathic residency, maybe that requirement will be dropped next! 

This sounds interesting.  I haven't heard of it.  Is this part of the reason they are starting their own PA program at Heritage?

Email from Dr. K today confirms MCAT gone. he said I would need to take 1 ochem course. he recommended the online course from UNE.

The first semester of Orgo Chem is the fundamentals of orgo and teach you all about resonance, lewis structures, reactions (and their many types). You learn a lot of reagents and how electrons are dancing around molecules. Orgo II is primary focuses on synthesis with novel reagents and seeing if you're able to get molecule A to turn into molecule B in 5 steps or less (easy to go do it in 6 but you have to do it in 5 or less). For anyone taking an orgo chem class I strongly recommend Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. I tutor orgo chem 5 days a week and my students who use this supplementary text (as I did when I took orgo I and II) do far, far better than those who don't.

The first semester of Orgo Chem is the fundamentals of orgo and teach you all about resonance, lewis structures, reactions (and their many types). You learn a lot of reagents and how electrons are dancing around molecules.

sounds critical to the practice of medicine.....or not.....:(

It's applicable to a sound knowledge of biochemistry and pharmacology, but not to the daily practice of medicine.

I know. doesn't mean I have to like it....:) 

their program requirements are more than fair and if I were single and without kids it would be a no brainer.

currently 2 years left to go on my current doctorate(DHSc) so I will deicde before I'm done with that.

this is the course that meets their ochem prereq:

http://www.une.edu/com/online/organic/

looks like they require a general chem class within 7 years. my last one was in 1989...:)

I know. doesn't mean I have to like it....:) 

their program requirements are more than fair and if I were single and without kids it would be a no brainer.

currently 2 years left to go on my current doctorate(DHSc) so I will deicde before I'm done with that.

this is the course that meets their ochem prereq:

http://www.une.edu/com/online/organic/

looks like they require a general chem class within 7 years. my last one was in 1989...:)

I suspect you could find an orgo chem 1 class at a local community college. Some colleges (like the one I work) have a combined "Principals of Organic & Biochemistry" which is sort of Orgo-lite and very introductory biochem. I took it before I took actual biochem and it helped demystify some of it (I had already taken Orgo 1 and 2 so the first half of the class was a very basic review). I don't know if LECOM would accept a combined intro to orgo/biochem course in place of an actual Orgo Chem 1 course but it might be worth asking.

I just sent him an email to see if the uc berkeley online course would also work.

3 units instead of 4, no lab, and no time requirement on the prereqs:

http://extension.berkeley.edu/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=40421

Please let us know what he says. Is orgo 1 just for you and others with massive experience? What are the things they look at in deciding to drop a req or not?

Please let us know what he says. Is orgo 1 just for you and others with massive experience? What are the things they look at in deciding to drop a req or not?

I don't know for sure what criteria they use to determine who needs what. I know someone in the first class who never took physics and was required to take 1 course.

ochem is the only major prereq I have never taken so I guess they would want me at least to have some exposure. I took a full yr of college level physics with lab as well as the bio and undergrad gen chem sequence.

Archived