LECOM Bridge change

Any word on what, if any the entry requirement is beyond the GPA and prereqs? Is there a set in stone PANCE/PANRE score? Or is it a "If you are a PA-C with the prereq courses and GPA then you can get in" type of thing? Just checked the official webpage and it is still not updated with the new requirements.  Also, didnt the accrediting bodies require the MCAT?

Primadonna you should be coming up on the match soon shouldnt you?  What specialty did you end up choosing?

Any word on what, if any the entry requirement is beyond the GPA and prereqs? Is there a set in stone PANCE/PANRE score? Or is it a "If you are a PA-C with the prereq courses and GPA then you can get in" type of thing? Just checked the official webpage and it is still not updated with the new requirements. Also, didnt the accrediting bodies require the MCAT?

Primadonna you should be coming up on the match soon shouldnt you? What specialty did you end up choosing?

Applied 9/15 to 19 IM and FM programs and a handful of combined IM/psych. Yes I don't quite know what I want to do and to some extent I'm going to interview and see where I fit and let the match decide :)

Got 4 interviews within the first week, then my first rejection yesterday LOL.

It's still surreal but starting to sink in!

On a particularly impressive inpatient rotation now with my local unopposed FM program, an 800-bed level 3 center. I think I could be very happy here and come out a "complete doctor".

Interviewing here Oct 11.

Btw, there is NO MCAT requirement for med schools by accrediting bodies. It's really by convention that almost all med schools have required it. If you look at some of the integrated undergrad/medicine 3+4 programs some of them don't require MCAT.

Wow Primadonna!  I bet it feels good to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully the match works out for you!  Tried to send you a PM with a few questions about the program/experience but I guess your inbox is full, so here were my questions:

Did you moonlight or work as a PA during your period as a student? Did any of your fellow APAPers?  Did you have the first yr summer off like the other medical students? Also, aside from the first year basic science curriculum, did your PA experience help you as much, more, or not as much as you may have thought, during your rotations?  Did your Attendings give your previous profession gravitas or see you as someone who tried to circumvent the system?  I apologize for all of the questions, but I was just curious about the over all experience.

I knew the undergrad/medstart programs nixed the mcat, but since they are realitive outliers I just assumed they were the exception to the standard rule.  I am curious to see the new standards by which LECOM (and thus likely other future bridge programs) will allow new APAP students.  Further, I would think that allopathic programs would see this as a viable solution to not enough physicians.  Though collectively they seem to take a less progressive stance on the profession so who knows.  

So, pending official word, or a change in the website, it appears as though PA-Cs with an adequate GPA and the requisite science courses can apply to the program.  Not a bad deal really.  

Does this program require all 12 participants to go into primary care?  Or is it slated for 6 Primary Care and 6 free to choose speciality?  Website is a little unclear to this.

Thanks

6 slots are reserved for primary care. 6 are not. this means your chances of acceptance are likely better if you are willing to commit to primary care as lots of folks likely want em, surg, ortho, etc.

I would be ok with full scope fp.

if it was just the money I would have already applied. as a doc I would likely double my salary so school would be paid off fairly quickly.

I have kids who would be teenagers while I was in the program and I don't know how fair that would be to them and to my wife who would have to be solo parent a lot of the time.

How much does this cost? Its hard to tell from the website but I am guessing around $30k a year. I don't think that it makes sense from monetary standpoint. Is that factoring into your decision E?

Tuition + fees about $32k/yr. that's bare minimum.

First year I spent about $1500 in books that I felt I needed. Probably $700 more than I needed to but most of my books were 15 yr old.

Second and third year the big expense is board exams: another $3k on top of tuition/fees.

Then you gotta live--work during this program is difficult because 1) the course load is crazy--30-40 credits/semester 2) clinical year you're moving around so much and your schedule is dictated by the rotation. That said, only myself and one other PA work at all--the other guys just live as cheaply as possible. I like my creature comforts (hair done, pedicures, good coffee, good food and wine) and work a bit more than I have to for those rewards.

All told I will come out with an additional $165k debt with accrued interest. I'm trying not to think about that too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Really? You don't fill all the slots? Is this because of lack of qualified individuals applying or lack of applicants? Perhaps just not enough know about it? I suspect once the mcat is dropped it will fill easily

First class (mine) entered in 2011. Mostly word-of-mouth at that time. 2nd class filled but 2 were deployed and had to defer for a year. One couldn't make minimum MCAT score and was disqualified as I understand it (ironic now that they've dropped that....)

Following classes I haven't met and don't know those particulars. I will update if I find out.

First residency interview tomorrow--wish me luck!!

First class (mine) entered in 2011. Mostly word-of-mouth at that time. 2nd class filled but 2 were deployed and had to defer for a year. One couldn't make minimum MCAT score and was disqualified as I understand it (ironic now that they've dropped that....)

Following classes I haven't met and don't know those particulars. I will update if I find out.

First residency interview tomorrow--wish me luck!!

That's so cool. What specialty have ou decided on? FM?

That's so cool. What specialty have ou decided on? FM?

Interviewing FM and IM. Only applied to a handful of unopposed FM residencies where I know the training is INTENSE and will truly make me a well-rounded physician. This one is my audition rotation and 10 min from my house. Outstanding program and one of the best-kept secrets in the southeast.

@primadonna:  It's been interesting reading of your progress through school.  I wish you the best and know you will be a stellar top-notch physician.   Hire or work with  a PA when you have the opportunity and lend us support.  

Thank you Paula :)

I don't think you could pay me enough to do first year over again but as the end draws near I am frankly amazed and humbled to be this close to graduation. Now that I have steps 1 and 2 behind me and only one more big exam ahead (step 2 PE, like a huge expensive OSCE) it's kinda surreal.

Had my first residency interview yesterday. Unopposed FM program 10 min from my house. A level 1 facility that treats a catchment area of about 1 million people. The only floor these residents don't admit to is NICU. Residents are happy, faculty is stable and dedicated to teaching and the facility is gorgeous. A regional campus of U S Carolina is coming here with M3-4s and partnering with a local university to host the 2nd PA program in the state. The only other residents in the hospital are pharm.D. Residents and the whole atmosphere is very collegial. I see it as a tremendous opportunity to be part of a growing inter professional education movement and to possibly fulfill one of my dreams, to be medical director of a PA program :)

Wish me luck!!

Archived