Anyone seen the show "Royal Pains" on USA?

Hey guys, just wanted everyone else's thoughts on this: For those that have seen the show, how do you think the role of the PA in the show is represented? I believe the character's name is "Divya." I've only seen the show a few times, but it seems as though the PA role is represented in a fairly good light, all crappy Hollywood clinical inaccuracies aside. Although Hollywood is FAR from a good source of publicity for the profession, it's nice to see a clinically competent, intelligent PA character represented rather than the standard nurse/doctor role one sees everywhere in the movies and television. Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched the show since it started. I was always impressed that they portrayed the character as smart and capable. Someone who can get things done.

I was interested that they recently had her working in an ER for extra cash. There was a scene where she exceeded her scope of practice. She was right about the procedure and diagnosis but wrong about how to best work with a physician in that setting. They made a point of discussing it with her. It was fairly realistic when it portrayed a PAs role and the different relationships and scopes of practice in different settings.

I have watched the show since it started. I was always impressed that they portrayed the character as smart and capable. Someone who can get things done.

I was interested that they recently had her working in an ER for extra cash. There was a scene where she exceeded her scope of practice. She was right about the procedure and diagnosis but wrong about how to best work with a physician in that setting. They made a point of discussing it with her. It was fairly realistic when it portrayed a PAs role and the different relationships and scopes of practice in different settings.

It was fairly realistic when it portrayed a PAs role and the different relationships and scopes of practice in different settings.

I enjoy the show and generally like how the PA profession is portrayed. I am interested to see what direction the script takes now that Divya has resigned from her hospital job (without an investigation) to avoid being fired after she admits giving steroids to a diabetic patient. The show could take two directions. One, Divya loses credibility and the confidence of Hank her SP or two, the audience may learn that the ER doc made an error by not documenting the history in the chart. It was the ER doc who handed the chart to Divya as "proof" and she accepted it without question. There was no investigation. The show will air in a view weeks and we'll find out what happens. I watch on the internet web site so I might be a week behind the rest of the viewers.

It was fairly realistic when it portrayed a PAs role and the different relationships and scopes of practice in different settings.

I enjoy the show and generally like how the PA profession is portrayed. I am interested to see what direction the script takes now that Divya has resigned from her hospital job (without an investigation) to avoid being fired after she admits giving steroids to a diabetic patient. The show could take two directions. One, Divya loses credibility and the confidence of Hank her SP or two, the audience may learn that the ER doc made an error by not documenting the history in the chart. It was the ER doc who handed the chart to Divya as "proof" and she accepted it without question. There was no investigation. The show will air in a view weeks and we'll find out what happens. I watch on the internet web site so I might be a week behind the rest of the viewers.

Ohhhh. I was running on the treadmill the other day.. I put the show on mute with my iPod on.. I didn't really get the whole story but I figured something similar! Now it makes more sense!

Ohhhh. I was running on the treadmill the other day.. I put the show on mute with my iPod on.. I didn't really get the whole story but I figured something similar! Now it makes more sense!

• 2 years later...

I used to watch it but got turned off with how Hank always explains the pathophys of a Ds to a pt in medical terms and how he wears his stethoscope backwards all the time...

Divta is cool but sometimes takes an "assistant" role too often. I remember one episode where the pt asked her what was her dx and she waited for Hank to give it. It would have been awesome to show her pickup something Hank missed once in a while but at least we are on TV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I used to watch it but got turned off with how Hank always explains the pathophys of a Ds to a pt in medical terms and how he wears his stethoscope backwards all the time... Divta is cool but sometimes takes an "assistant" role too often. I remember one episode where the pt asked her what was her dx and she waited for Hank to give it. It would have been awesome to show her pickup something Hank missed once in a while but at least we are on TV. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I always thought they should bring on an old grizzled military pa, an RC Davis type maybe, for a few episodes who was one of her instructors who saves the day on a case when hank totally blows it. you know, add some realism to the show. then he goes off to run a solo ER in Alaska or something and returns once or twice a season to keep hank in his place.

I always thought they should bring on an old grizzled pa, an RC Davis type maybe, for a few episodes who was one of her instructors who saves the day on a case when hank totally blows it. you know, add some realism to the show.

I'd start watching again if they did...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I always thought they should bring on an old grizzled military pa, an RC Davis type maybe, for a few episodes who was one of her instructors who saves the day on a case when hank totally blows it. you know, add some realism to the show. then he goes off to run a solo ER in Alaska or something and returns once or twice a season to keep hank in his place.

This reminds me of the time when I "thought" I wanted to work in Radio/TV which is another story. While working there I learned they have a mantra: "if it bleeds, it leads !" Who can guess what that means without cheating? LOL I'll give a "LIKE" to the first person who can tell me.

I used to watch it but got turned off with how Hank always explains the pathophys of a Ds to a pt in medical terms and how he wears his stethoscope backwards all the time...Divta is cool but sometimes takes an "assistant" role too often. I remember one episode where the pt asked her what was her dx and she waited for Hank to give it. It would have been awesome to show her pickup something Hank missed once in a while but at least we are on TV.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I've seen her catch a hank miss. Granted he was supposed to be "off his game" in that episode. I see her often get the initial Dx, but usually hank takes over then. There also was the episode where she did an emergent trach out in the field. I think overall it's pretty good PR. I think there were was even an episode where she was offered to run HankMed.

I gotta stop in more often. Grizzled? I am soft like a teddy bear!

Just started watching. In the third episode, Hank asks Divya what her title should be. She says, "Physician Assistant." He says, "People tend to only hear the second part of that. I was thinking something like 'My Associate.'"

My wife looked at me and said, "He just ended the name change debate!"

Hey guys, just wanted everyone else's thoughts on this: For those that have seen the show, how do you think the role of the PA in the show is represented? I believe the character's name is "Divya." I've only seen the show a few times, but it seems as though the PA role is represented in a fairly good light, all crappy Hollywood clinical inaccuracies aside. Although Hollywood is FAR from a good source of publicity for the profession, it's nice to see a clinically competent, intelligent PA character represented rather than the standard nurse/doctor role one sees everywhere in the movies and television. Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks.

THAT'S GREAT!!!

Archived